Bo's Blowouts - analyzing the worst of the losses

Two things.

First, Jim Harbaugh is a tool.

Second, you're fooling yourself if you think the Iowa game was just "Bo being Bo" and not a bit of a unique circumstance. We hadn't seem him act like that all season - we hadn't seen him act like that for several seasons. He is not, as a baseline standard, that guy. In chat a lot of us thought that he knew his job was gone after that game, or at least thought he had a good chance to get fired, which resulted in those actions, because they were abnormal.

I agree. +1. With the Pelini stuff anyway. As far as Harbaugh, he wins games, which erases all toolness. Right?

Just like Saban, Miles, Richt, Stoops, the hoodie, carroll, etc...

Either you care, or you don't.

Every individual instance of Bo doing something, sure, you could pick out the finer differences and point to the different circumstances. No two circumstances are ever really the same, are they?

It's interesting to me that everything is either 'but it's different' or 'but it's so long ago' or 'Hey, I got over it. Why haven't you?'. But then, who's really kidding themselves?

• Fire 1

I agree with you that it shouldn't just alleviate criticism, but I really don't think that example is like the rest unless you zoom out losing all context until you get to the lowest common denominator of "bo was really mad".

yeah, but i think the is a common theme and it comes down to the moment getting too big for bo. bo's teams and bo have not done well under pressure. his outbursts (the memorable ones) are a rare manifestation of that. i do think the narrative of "bo is a lunatic" is inaccurate. he is mostly either just fiery or pretty calm. and there is a difference between being animatedly angry and losing control. it is the loss of control that is worrisome. hopefully with experience, bo will be able to become bigger than the moment and maintain control and keep his teams focused.

Two things.

Second, you're fooling yourself if you think the Iowa game was just "Bo being Bo" and not a bit of a unique circumstance. We hadn't seem him act like that all season - we hadn't seen him act like that for several seasons. He is not, as a baseline standard, that guy. In chat a lot of us thought that he knew his job was gone after that game, or at least thought he had a good chance to get fired, which resulted in those actions, because they were abnormal.

I agree. +1. With the Pelini stuff anyway. As far as Harbaugh, he wins games, which erases all toolness. Right?

why are these coaches tools? is it because they win?

Two things.

Whether they win or not shouldn't matter.

Either you care about sideline/press conference escapades, or you don't.

you think all of those coaches have behaved as petulant and embarrassingly as bo?

Yeah, and I'll add dantonio to the list as well.

Edit: and Tubs, Brian Kelly, and Spurrier.

Two things.

The truth always lies somewhere in between. Rule applied.

Every individual instance of Bo doing something, sure, you could pick out the finer differences and point to the different circumstances. No two circumstances are ever really the same, are they?

It's interesting to me that everything is either 'but it's different' or 'but it's so long ago' or 'Hey, I got over it. Why haven't you?'. But then, who's really kidding themselves?

For me personally, it's not everything that is "but it's different". It's just this one single thing.

you think all of those coaches have behaved as petulant and embarrassingly as bo?

As a 49er fan and NorCal resident, I can tell you that Harbaugh probably has exceeded Bo's antics at times, and sometimes when he does so, like Bo he loses focus and makes some coaching decisions that are not exactly great.

Also, in spite of his three straight conference championship appearances after a LONG stretch of SF being really down, there are some that have grown tired of his act as well, including his bosses if the papers and rumors are to believed. This is also accompanied by the reports that some of his players have begun tuning out his constant message, and see it as an act gone stale.

Ultimately, I think that's the endgame for all of these firery coaches. It will work for awhile, then they need a new trick. It may work better in college,due to the constant roster turnover, but when you see these coaches like Bo or Harbaugh, who demand flawless execution of their process as it's the only way to succeed, and the same time you have to overlook and accept their screwups and lack of discipline.....well it won't take a long time before resent follows.

I'd also like to point out that when people bring up guys like Saban or Harbaugh....yes, they're very successful. No, I'm not really familiar with their 'antics' or sideline demeanor. But if it's as bad as you say, if they frequently act without class and display poor sportsmanship, then no, I wouldn't want them at Nebraska either. I actually thought most people were very anti-Saban here for whatever reasons.

I'd also like to point out that when people bring up guys like Saban or Harbaugh....yes, they're very successful. No, I'm not really familiar with their 'antics' or sideline demeanor. But if it's as bad as you say, if they frequently act without class and display poor sportsmanship, then no, I wouldn't want them at Nebraska either. I actually thought most people were very anti-Saban here for whatever reasons.

I bring them up to illustrate the point that people forgive them (or completely ignore it i the media) because of rings. It's hypocritical.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jim+harbaugh+gif&rlz=1C1KMZB_enUS562US562&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=DddfU6G2ENO72QXLwoCICw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1523&bih=840

https://www.google.c...iw=1523&bih=840

luv this gif so hard...

4JCINXy.gif

https://www.google.c...iw=1523&bih=840

luv this gif so hard...

4JCINXy.gif

Heh. The OL' 2013 NFC title game. That call put Atlanta in a really good spot.