Bo's Blowouts - analyzing the worst of the losses

You know, come think of it, Harbaugh does sorta have a public rep as a sideline loon. And it overshadows his rep as a good coach -- though his record would suggest that he is. The rumors of a rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers organization is also surprising.

But, anyway, this is all I can think of whenever Harbaugh comes up. And yes, that gif you guys posted is amazing.

(from

. Also relevant,
)

You know, come think of it, Harbaugh does sorta have a public rep as a sideline loon. And it overshadows his rep as a good coach -- though his record would suggest that he is. The rumors of a rift between Harbaugh and the 49ers organization is also surprising.

But, anyway, this is all I can think of whenever Harbaugh comes up. And yes, that gif you guys posted is amazing.

(from

. Also relevant,
)

He does have a rep, but you almost never heard of it before he got to the NFL. Still, the talking heads gush about his coaching, not his tantrums.

And if Bo takes Nebraska to the playoffs this year with bone-crushing defense, all the talk will be about the Continuing Legend of Bo's Defenses. I do find that hypocritical, but the past antics won't be forgotten exactly, nor the perception erased so easily. But people are impressed by success and when a team does well, few are going to try and take away the positive spotlight on the entire team and fanbase by nitpicking their coach. Characters of all kinds have been enormously successful at all levels of sports. Especially professionally, people tend not to care about anything beyond ability, unless a line is crossed -- the Donald Sterling kind of line, for instance.

I do think there are very good reasons to care about how a coach represents a program, though, especially a college one. And unfortunately, not winning big does magnify the brand effect, even though that's something you'd hope is irrespective of success.

Also, the media coverage of Bo has been overwhelmingly positive this Spring. Maybe it doesn't even take winning.

It's going to take winning something of relevance before the media tide starts turning towards a favorable perception. As we currently stand, I think the picture of Bo Pelini as painted by the media is of a guy who isn't much different than the rest of us--I think a lot of us in his position would do the same things that he has--in the off-season; but an ill-tempered, out-of-control maniac during the season. Both images can be presented because it's a plausible leap for the audience to make. With the prevailing idea that winning heals (most) wounds, Nebraska winning something of importance will tilt the lens that the media sees Bo during the season.

It works for Mark Dantonio. It works for Nick Saban. It can work for Bo Pelini as well.

Just thinking about this though brings up an interesting question: Why does Bo Pelini's temper seemingly interfere with Nebraska's ability to win games? And why isn't that the case for Michigan State, Alabama, and other winning schools who have "hot-head" coaches?

• Fire 2

Well, for starters, it's results-based. Those 'winning schools' have less loses, especially embarrassing losses, to pinpoint. If that weren't the case, maybe you'd hear the same criticisms Harbaugh is getting -- tuning out their crazy yelling coach, for example.

Bo's defensive coordinator rep is also pretty well-cemented. So when teams of all different calibers and talent levels are either moving the ball freely or just steamrolling through the Blackshirts, the thoughts that come to mind aren't "There's a defensive coaching deficiency here" or "Gosh, Nebraska just doesn't have the talent to match up to....Minnesota? Iowa? Wisconsin?"

Finally, the style of play Nebraska has been known for recently has to be mistake-prone, tight, Jekyll-and-Hyde. The roller coaster seems to be reflective of the coach's own emotional roller coaster. Belichick gets heated, he's gruff with the media, but both he and the Patriots are famously and emphatically even-keel, both in message and in result. And not being able to play loose, that's an easy line to draw from the reactions we've seen from several players to getting chewed out on the sidelines -- something that's not wrong for a coach to do, but whether he's being effective at it or not is another story.

I really feel it takes some mental gymnastics to get back to the point of saying, "I have total faith in Bo's demeanor as it pertains to gamedays and the NU brand", but then, I can't fault any Nebraska fan for feeling predisposed to that direction.

• Fire 2

(from

. Also relevant,
)

Honestly, I'd forgotten that he had thrown the occasional tantrum before this thread.

I know it's hard for some to fathom that our talent level simply might not have been on par with others in the conference the past few years. Iowa (yes, Iowa) had a trio of LBs last season who got acclaim and some conference honors. How would our LBs from the 2012 CCG rank when considering those types of honors?

Yeah, our team hasn't fielded national championship caliber talent, but it's still not a team so lacking in talent that everyone from UCLA to Wyoming, Wisconsin to Minnesota, should be demolishing the product of one of the best DCs in the business. It's not like Nebraska was fielding an Indiana-level team, and if Bo were HC at Indiana, I could see him getting a pass simply for talent level when Wyoming rolls up 602 yards of offense or when Wisconsin drops 70 points and 640 yards.

Well, for starters, it's results-based. Those 'winning schools' have less loses, especially embarrassing losses, to pinpoint. If that weren't the case, maybe you'd hear the same criticisms Harbaugh is getting -- tuning out their crazy yelling coach, for example.

Bo's defensive coordinator rep is also pretty well-cemented. So when teams of all different calibers and talent levels are either moving the ball freely or just steamrolling through the Blackshirts, the thoughts that come to mind aren't "There's a defensive coaching deficiency here" or "Gosh, Nebraska just doesn't have the talent to match up to....Minnesota? Iowa? Wisconsin?"

Finally, the style of play Nebraska has been known for recently has to be mistake-prone, tight, Jekyll-and-Hyde. The roller coaster seems to be reflective of the coach's own emotional roller coaster. Belichick gets heated, he's gruff with the media, but both he and the Patriots are famously and emphatically even-keel, both in message and in result. And not being able to play loose, that's an easy line to draw from the reactions we've seen from several players to getting chewed out on the sidelines -- something that's not wrong for a coach to do, but whether he's being effective at it or not is another story.

I really feel it takes some mental gymnastics to get back to the point of saying, "I have total faith in Bo's demeanor as it pertains to gamedays and the NU brand", but then, I can't fault any Nebraska fan for feeling predisposed to that direction.

I can't fault anybody for not having faith in Bo Pelini's ability to get it done at Nebraska and represent Nebraska in a positive light either. He certainly hasn't done well in either category; although he is doing his best to change the latter.

But here's where I was trying to direct the discussion. We see Jim Harbaugh and Bill Belichick and Nick Saban and other notably hot headed yet successful coaches get into their players, the media, and the officials. How are these coaches able to do that and still achieve high levels of success, yet Bo Pelini does the same thing and Nebraska flounders? Basically, what are the distinguishing factors between these coaches?

I know it's hard for some to fathom that our talent level simply might not have been on par with others in the conference the past few years. Iowa (yes, Iowa) had a trio of LBs last season who got acclaim and some conference honors. How would our LBs from the 2012 CCG rank when considering those types of honors?

That's not the hard to fathom part. The hard to fathom part is how Bo let it get that bad, or how it isn't a terminable offense to be that negligent on the job.

• Fire 1