Bo's Blowouts - analyzing the worst of the losses

"I want to thank our administration and Shawn Eichorst in particular, for his continued and full support that he has given me and our football program since his arrival on campus. I am honored to represent this university and its great fans and I’m proud to lead this program into the future.

I apologize for reacting emotionally yesterday and for showing frustration both with the game officials and the media. I fully understand and respect their difficult jobs, and I regret any and all actions or words which may have shed a negative light on our program and university. Accountability is a core belief throughout our program, and as the head coach, I must set and maintain a high standard."

This was Bo Pelini's apology after the Iowa game where he said he made so e poor choices and regretted his actions against the officials. Hmm.....I guess he felt it was worthy of an apology and felt it was a mistake on his part, but some of you apologists still seem to act as if it was no big deal. If it was no big deal, Bo wouldn't have apologized guys. He was pissed sure, but you just can't act like that. It's in the past, I hope he learns from it.

Also, don't say "well it didn't hit him so, no big deal". My little brother and the neighbor kid were playing "swords" with two sticks from the tree out front. They swung at each other recklessly til' my little brother got poked in the eye. Wore an eye patch for weeks. Luckily his eye healed and he was okay. Could have lost his eye, or lost his vision very easily. He was lucky. After that, nobody in my house picked up a stick as a toy or weapon. Dad would have tanned your ass with his belt. He would have beat the neighbor boy if it wouldn't have sent him to jail I think.

Moral of the story is, the boy didn't intend to hit my brother in the eye, but the foolish childish actions of swinging sticks as a weapon ended up resulting in an injury. What did we learn......? Don't do dumb sh#t like swinging sticks at people. I recommend also not doing dumb sh#t like swinging a hat at someone. Had that strap caught that ref in the eye, and it was close, he'd have been hurtin' good I'm sure.

Generall, if you stop giving people reasons to speak negatively of you, they run out of ammo and eventually stop.

Had he hit him he would have been justifiably fired. However he was not trying to hit the ref. His actions, as I said, were over the line. He appologized. And the world has moved on. Has he learned from it? We will find out this fall if were down and a ref blows a call.

Overblown? I thought taking a swipe at a ref would have been a bigger deal than it was. He was very lucky it didn't hit him.

Also, none of the offseason PR stunts amount to much if that's how he behaves when faced with a little adversity.

There's no way Bo tried to hit the ref with his hat and there's an easy way to be sure. He wasn't ejected. If the ref thought for a fraction of a second that the hat swing was meant to hit him then Bo would have been rightfully gone from the game.

The world most certainly hasn't moved on. The hat swipe is now cataloged and the next time Bo has some kind of sideline outburst this will be in the file footage, along with the 2009 A&M tirade, the halftime reporter brush-off(s) and the sundry at-the-podium belligerence episodes.

None of those things have been wiped away by Spring Game antics, cats, twitter or anything else the PR campaign has come up with. Years of good behavior combined with competent on-the-field play and winning something of merit are all that will erase those episodes.

Wanting them to go away doesn't move the needle.

The world most certainly hasn't moved on. The hat swipe is now cataloged and the next time Bo has some kind of sideline outburst this will be in the file footage, along with the 2009 A&M tirade, the halftime reporter brush-off(s) and the sundry at-the-podium belligerence episodes.

None of those things have been wiped away by Spring Game antics, cats, twitter or anything else the PR campaign has come up with. Years of good behavior combined with competent on-the-field play and winning something of merit are all that will erase those episodes.

Well, since we can't exactly chalk up wins during Spring and Summer or watch Bo keep his cool during a poorly officiated down, Im reserving my judgement of how he will handle himself for when it acually happens.

College Football is what have you done lately (that makes me happy)

If College Football is about what you have done lately, then something Bo did not more than six quarters of football ago would still be relevant, right?

You forgot the part in parenthesis.

Look, Bo is far from perfect. I love his passion but it also gets him into ugly situations like this one. Had we gone 11-1 last year and he still swung his hat near the ref alot less people would have cared. Im not going to sit here and defend the man for everything hes ever done wrong because I dont need to and well, its April. As I said Ill wait to pass judgement until this fall.

Bo was given the gift of a final chance after the Iowa game. He is making efforts to change the bad perception surrounding him. If anybody is deadset against letting themselves be persuaded by the PR campaign, kudos for sticking to your ideals. But Im more concerned about whether or not he takes full advantage of this last chance.

Yep. Same thing as with Ron Artest/Metta World Peace. The guy spent years and years being a straight-up exemplary citizen, auctioned off his championship ring for charity, by all accounts was nothing short of a boy scout.

Then one heated mistake and elbow to James Harden a few years ago and lost all of it.

Well put knapplc. The idea of wanting the Pelini that goes after the ref's which is what I was referring to doesn't seem like the Bo I'd like to have on the sidelines. At least not to the point of getting unsportsmanlike penalties or an A & M like total meltdown.

If he can quit acting like a horses you know what this year and not cross the line then I for one would actually be a lot less hard on the guy. It might not bother others at all and that's fine. In a way it probably wouldn't me either. I love a coach with some fire but there's going too far. You can't take those times back. They're burned in people's memory a long with the embarrassing blow out losses.

Bo is our frog, our lump of coal. He has been like this since his first day at Nebraska. Hot head, out of control, charging a 70 year old man for showing what his defense truly was, mirrors. He left and went to Oklahoma, continuously attacked this program in many forms. Talking with and turning the players against the new coaches. An attack on the AD on National Television was thought to be funny at the time. Bo is Bo, he is not changing his spots, stripes or antics. The hope is that he can control his actions before he makes a Woody move. I am relatively sure if we researched his time at LSU, we would find like instances. Some there felt he was out of control.

But Bo has made efforts, serious efforts to control his temper. I like the fire, the defense of his kids, I truly worry though that he will take that extra step someday. He had one of the best to train him, to get him under control, to guide him. It appears that some of it worked, that steps were taken to make our lump of coal a diamond, our frog a prince. But it is still, to say the least, a work in progress. The point is he knows that he is not where he needs to be, I am sure he does not want his kids, his wife or his parents seeing his meltdowns, being blared all across America's TV's. He is a smart man, that sees the path, that he needs to walk to keep his team, and he knows that that path is followed by his players as well.

The question for some of us, is do we have a diamond, a prince, or is the project complete at where we are. Next season will tell. Personally, I do not see a diamond or a prince, but I think we will see enough to know he isn't a Woody.

Bo is our frog, our lump of coal. He has been like this since his first day at Nebraska. Hot head, out of control, charging a 70 year old man for showing what his defense truly was, mirrors.

Revisionist history. The game was over, and in hand. We subbed in scrubs on senior day, and Snyder had his starter run hurry up and throw a TD pass.

Stonewalling butthurt reporters doesn't mean a damn thing to me, hell, everyone's new favorite golden boy Mark Dantonio does it all the time. Halftime interviews don't mean sh#t either.

But... sideline meltdowns are an issue. All that said, nobody cares if you won the game.

If you lose, you're a hothead, loose cannon, etc... If you win, you're energetic, fiery, etc...

• Fire 2