Fumbles per game.

2007: 1.6 (44th)

2008: 2.4 (115th)

2009: 1.5 (57th)

2010: 3.2 (120th)

2011: 2.5 (117th)

2012: 2.5 (121)

2013: 2.5 (123rd)

The depressing part is that TA3's ball security isn't any better.

I wonder if that's accurate if broken down by games/plays? Might be . . . he tossed 9 picks . . . but I don't remember him fumbling as much other than against MSU.

I wish that stat wasn't so hard to find compared to others!

Random player stats:

Nick marshal led the country in fumbles (14), and tied for fumbles lost (6).

Ameer had most fumbles for NU with 6 fumbles, and 6 lost.

Tommy had 5 fumbles, 3 (?) lost.

Westerkamp had 4 fumbles, 4 lost.

Kellogg had 4 fumbles, and I can only find 1 lost?

Ameer had most fumbles for NU with 6 fumbles, and 6 lost.

Tommy had 5 fumbles, 3 (?) lost.

Westerkamp had 4 fumbles, 4 lost.

Kellogg had 4 fumbles, and I can only find 1 lost?

That's basically how I remembered it . . . Martinez may have been the worst offender but it went far beyond him.

Particularly if you think of it in fumbles per touch (if that's the most accurate way to frame the stat) then Kellogg and Westerkamp probably have worse dropsies than Abdullah, Armstrong, and Martinez.

Some stats I pulled.

Interceptions per game.

2007: 1.4 (95th)

2008: 0.8 (47th)

2009: 0.9 (46th)

2010: 0.5 (5th)

2011: 0.7 (26th)

2012: 0.9 (68th)

2013: 1.1 (80th)

It's amazing how the slightest up tick or down tick in this stat will affect your ranking so much. Literally, this is the difference of a 2-3 interceptions per year divided out over 12-13 games.

Not a lot of room for error in this stat.

Guys....I heard a few little tidbits here and there in the past about the type of ball Nebraska was using? Like someone said above, Helu and Burkhead didn't fumble like Martinez and Abdullah did. Look at the number of carries Helu and Burkhead had......

It may seem like a small thing, but maybe that f'ing ball was a real problem? Or maybe this was a bullsh#t rumor? I don't know but it seems like a hell of a coincidence that Taylor liked a different set of balls, and all of a sudden the guys can't handle it well...

Yes, I did that on purpose. See the woodshed, it's clear I have so much hatred in my heart. Derp.

We will know something was up if this season those fumbles go away. Tose fumbles go away, Nebraska wins games. Nebraska wins games, I say we set fire to those old balls. (blue hairs tremble in fear). No.....not those old balls.

It's weird - you'd think that the coaches would have noticed and diagnosed the worn ball thing if they thought that was contributing to turnovers. Or at least at some point, said, 'Too many fumbles. Let's just try something else.' Heck, give it a trial in practice. Hopefully it actually wasn't a big deal and just personal preference.

Guys....I heard a few little tidbits here and there in the past about the type of ball Nebraska was using? Like someone said above, Helu and Burkhead didn't fumble like Martinez and Abdullah did. Look at the number of carries Helu and Burkhead had......

It may seem like a small thing, but maybe that f'ing ball was a real problem? Or maybe this was a bullsh#t rumor? I don't know but it seems like a hell of a coincidence that Taylor liked a different set of balls, and all of a sudden the guys can't handle it well...

Yes, I did that on purpose. See the woodshed, it's clear I have so much hatred in my heart. Derp.

We will know something was up if this season those fumbles go away. Tose fumbles go away, Nebraska wins games. Nebraska wins games, I say we set fire to those old balls. (blue hairs tremble in fear). No.....not those old balls.

Different players, possible different drills, it'll be hard to prove causation, just a weak correlation.

It's weird - you'd think that the coaches would have noticed and diagnosed the worn ball thing if they thought that was contributing to turnovers. Or at least at some point, said, 'Too many fumbles. Let's just try something else.' Heck, give it a trial in practice. Hopefully it actually wasn't a big deal and just personal preference.

There may be something to the worn footballs Taylor preferred and the fumbling. I know that Armstrong prefers to use new, unscuffed footballs, so maybe that'll help cut down on the fumbling.

I doubt it. Zac Taylor, Joe Ganz, Zac Lee and Cody Green all threw the worn footballs too.

The depressing part is that TA3's ball security isn't any better.

I wonder if that's accurate if broken down by games/plays? Might be . . . he tossed 9 picks . . . but I don't remember him fumbling as much other than against MSU.

I wish that stat wasn't so hard to find compared to others!

I agree that it would be nice to have better stats on this. Although, it's sad we are even interested in those stats.

Saunders said we lost three TA fumbles. That sounds about right to me. One was on our own goal line against MSU. The fumbled pitch to Newby should have gone to TA but I'm not sure on that. I don't remember him fumbling much when he ran or was looking to pass so hopefully that will be better.