Bo's Blowouts - analyzing the worst of the losses

Most of our turnovers seem to be self inflicted to me. Not because the defense did something to really cause them by their attack. Poor play on our part seemed to be the reason. I know it breaks down farther than that. We had a kid that had a ball security problem, an Oline that was less than stellar.

Most of our turnovers seem to be self inflicted to me. Not because the defense did something to really cause them by their attack. Poor play on our part seemed to be the reason. I know it breaks down farther than that. We had a kid that had a ball security problem, an Oline that was less than stellar.

The whole team has had fumbleitis issues. From punts, to kickoffs, to guys fumbling after a handoff. It's crazy.

You guys have a better idea of what can be done. When I played, my head coach made me carry a ball in a pink baby blanket everywhere I went, I slept with it under my arm. I really do not think that made a bit of difference other than very cautious around friends.

What is the problem, strength, location of ball, the added importance of stripping the ball?

Is it pressure thing where they hear about it continuously it takes over their skill set. Too much negative attention at a point.

I am lost as to why, and it seems, it is always at the absolute worst time for it to happen.

I did not want to mention names Saunders, but I am aware of all the situations. But it seem the offensive ones were normally at the hands of the QB( and you all know I am one of his biggest supporters), being it an actual fumble on his part, blind sided or handing off and both getting blown up. I throw a lot of that on the Oline, could be wrong. I did see the same things happen without T in there.

I guess if we could figure that out, we could make a lot of money, correcting the problem around the country. I am too old, I will let you guys get rich doing it.

Is it pressure thing where they hear about it continuously it takes over their skill set. Too much negative attention at a point.

I tend to believe this has an affect. When I played basketball and would have a bad slump with a few turnovers, it was harder to hear about them and be told, "don't do that." I would play tighter and probably had more turnovers. When I wasn't worrying about turning the ball over, I was looser, played freer, and had less TO.

When my son was racing professional motocross, I coached him. He had some bad crashes, major injuries and I became way more critical of his riding style, actually put pressure on him, rode his butt so to speak. When the wife said get off his ass, and I finally listened his riding returned to normal. Surroundings in that case played a major part.

It is tough nut to crack, and there is no question in my mind that they work on it continuously. Maybe to the point of over emphasizing it as I did. And that is taking nothing from the staff in any way. I can not imagine how frustrating this is for them.

It amused me when some people thought the TO issue would be gone with Taylor.

It's definitely more systemic than any one player. Why? I have no idea.

Possibly, but I'm not sure we can say that for certain. Martinez was really bad. AA is below average. But other than that .... ? It's kind of hard to say. Burkhead almost never fumbled. I don't recall Helu fumbling often. I think (hope?) that it is somewhat skewed by the fact that our leading rusher over the last four years was terrible at holding onto the ball. And the guy who's had the most carries the last two years isn't really good at it either. That's two guys who've just happened to have the lion's share of our carries over the last four years. Not that no one else has fumbled. But I'm not sure they fumble that often - it just seems like more because of the main two.

We'll have to see some more on TA. He fumbled some but several were of a different variety - ball knocked out by a pulling guard, bad pitches, etc. I don't recall him fumbling a lot when he was holding/running with the ball. Perhaps I've forgotten some.

• Fire 1

It amused me when some people thought the TO issue would be gone with Taylor.

It's definitely more systemic than any one player. Why? I have no idea.

Possibly, but I'm not sure we can say that for certain. Martinez was really bad.

Agreed.

AA is below average.

Oh, it's a little worse than below average. He was in the bottom 8 in the country in 2012. (Don't know how that held up over time, though.)

» Only eight Division I players lost six fumbles or more. Two of them — Taylor Martinez and Ameer Abdullah — played for Nebraska.

» Over the past two years, only two Division I players have more than 20 fumbles. Army’s Trent Steelman has 23. Martinez has 29.

» Nebraska lost a staggering five fumbles on punt returns. Abdullah had three of those.

» The fumbles are not a one-year epidemic. The Huskers have put the ball on the ground 112 times the past three years. Second-worst is Georgia Tech with 99 fumbles.

» How bad is NU’s ball handling? Consider that over the past five years, NU has more fumbles lost (77) than Alabama has total turnovers (72).

http://dataomaha.com/documents/husker-turnovers-a-look-at-nebraskas-slippery-slope

• Fire 1

The depressing part is that TA3's ball security isn't any better.

I wonder if that's accurate if broken down by games/plays? Might be . . . he tossed 9 picks . . . but I don't remember him fumbling as much other than against MSU.

I wish that stat wasn't so hard to find compared to others!