Gregory #1 Overall Selection in 2015 Mock Draft

Needs to get better in his run defense to be that high of pick IMO. Which weight and strength gains could help considerably

Perhaps, but I think you might be underestimating how much NFL front offices value guys that can routinely put QBs on the ground.

If he does it like he did last year, or even a little better, he's a top 5 pick. That's my prediction and I'm sticking to it.

Not that I'm asking for biased officiating, but it would be nice to see the Big Ten view Gregory as a "brand" improvement for the conference and stop with some of the merde de cheval calls he got last year, from roughing the passer against Wyoming (I know, not a B1G crew) and myriad non-calls on holding by opponents.

Not that I'm asking for biased officiating, but it would be nice to see the Big Ten view Gregory as a "brand" improvement for the conference and stop with some of the merde de cheval calls he got last year, from roughing the passer against Wyoming (I know, not a B1G crew) and myriad non-calls on holding by opponents.

I agree. Let him play. What's with all the murder de shovel calls.

Geez Knapp, speak my language sometimes would ya.

You're right, lots of missed holding calls. There will be lots more too I'm sure. As far as killing shovels, I'm just not sure how that will affect his season.

but if they started calling holding, how would the B1G produce premier offensive lineman like taylor lewan?

• Fire 1

In the NFL, now, teams will give up the 4 yard run for the chance at the fumble/sack/pick

You just don't see a ton of run-run-run anymore.

RG44 is coming around at the perfect time and if he can grab 6 or more sacks in the first 4 games...watch out...they hype will really get going.

Hope he turns in a Suh like 2014 campaign and really drives home the point Nebraska can develop top defensive players, help us land some game changers moving forward.

I never understood how Suh's success didn't immediately result in some high profile recruiting on the defensive line.

I think it had a lot to do with the staff back then vs, the current staff, specifically the recruiting coordinator and the DL coach. The guys we've been getting since Kaz was hired look a lot different than Carl's guys.

I agree, I hope they can cash in on Randys success.

@danhoppen: Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated has Randy Gregory as the No. 13 pick in his way-too-early 2015 NFL Draft: http://t.co/8od3X6F6BZ

13. San Diego Chargers: Randy Gregory, DE/OLB, Nebraska

Gregory ultimately may wind as a top-five candidate if he can repeat 2014 (16 tackles-for-loss, 9.5 sacks), success that occurred after a transfer in from the JUCO ranks. Nebraska lists Gregory’s weight at 245; he’s between 230 and 255 elsewhere. So, he may fall into that hybrid-rush category — meaning he may not fit everywhere. Gregory also has ample room to develop a rather raw game.

Maybe a staff over correction when we moved to this conference. I think the staff should've trusted that their style of D would translate better than they thought. Or am I missing the mark here?

I think you're spot on with the over correction part. Too many people assumed that our players (specifically linemen) were the proper builds for any conference. Unfortunately, the program recruited a different type of athlete in the "track meets" of the Big 12. The B1G has a much more plodding style where the size of players are typically stockier and space is harder to gain. Our skill players in the transition were obviously our best assets and it was their play that separated us from most of the B1G teams. Therefore, the staff had to basically scramble to determine the new kind of player that could be effective in the Big Ten. It's part of the reason why our defensive line is still so young, it's the first class where the staff had some idea of what athletes to recruit and how the conference games are played (pace, style, refs, other quirks, etc.). I hope more fans can come to understand that transition's effect in the near future. Good call RedRed!

Maybe a staff over correction when we moved to this conference. I think the staff should've trusted that their style of D would translate better than they thought. Or am I missing the mark here?

I think you're spot on with the over correction part. Too many people assumed that our players (specifically linemen) were the proper builds for any conference. Unfortunately, the program recruited a different type of athlete in the "track meets" of the Big 12. The B1G has a much more plodding style where the size of players are typically stockier and space is harder to gain. Our skill players in the transition were obviously our best assets and it was their play that separated us from most of the B1G teams. Therefore, the staff had to basically scramble to determine the new kind of player that could be effective in the Big Ten. It's part of the reason why our defensive line is still so young, it's the first class where the staff had some idea of what athletes to recruit and how the conference games are played (pace, style, refs, other quirks, etc.). I hope more fans can come to understand that transition's effect in the near future. Good call RedRed!

I guess I'm not sure the type of DLinemen we were after changed a lot. We just didn't get very many to pan out for a few years. The changes were much more deviant at LB where we basically played with one quick LB most of the time in the Big XII but need three more geared to stop the run for Wiscy, Mich St., Iowa, Penn St., etc. and to a lesser extent Michigan and Ohio State.