Eichorst statement on Bo

^ Or are you saying that Spencer Long was at the same level of Greg Robinson - #2 overall, and Taylor and Nick Marshal are the same?

I would say - yeah they'd probably be on a similar level if Auburn lost their starting QB and someone on the OL at the level of Long. Not Robinson, but Long was definitely no Robinson. Nick Marshal was a cornerback the year before he led Auburn to a national championship game. I think Malzahn could take Armstrong and produce similar results. It's not so much the injuries, or the talent (or lack of) but how the coach adapts to these things. Malzahn took a superior athlete, put him under center and won a championship. Twice now he's taken a team from the dumps to a championship at Auburn. That's coaching. He'd do it at Nebraska too I'm sure. There's far more than seperates Bo Pelini From Malzahn than a couple injuries.

what I'm saying is that Spencer and Taylor were pretty important cogs in the offense. Awardingly, probably the best two. I was using Auburn as an example, not a comparison.

Are they playing for the National title or beating Bama without that top 5 pick offensive lineman and their starting qb?

But yes I'll agree with you. Malzahn is a wiz. That's pretty obvious. But he also has the talent to work with. We've seen what Bo can do with such on the defensive side. And I've also states as such that Malzahn will be the man to run Saban out of college football. Every great one meets their match. Malzahn is Saban's.

No, you and your group feel that only your opinion is right. Most likely somewhere in the middle.

Bo is not a great course, Bo is a coach learning his job. May payoff this year, may not. Nothing that has happened in the past 6 years indicates it will change much.

Most on this board, expected to be back in the MNC hunt the first year Bo was here. We would win the Big 12 every year, and we would bomb through the week Big 10 due to his recruiting and the speed we had.

These have all been stated since the day he got here. Half truths at best. So those that say Bo is the best we can expect I feel are wrong. Those that say Bo is the worst, I feel are wrong. He is a middle of the road coach, with a fan base that expects excellence. He has not delivered and some of us have began to accept where we are. Not being a bottom feeder, not being a top 10 team. We are at a cross road this year. Must be much better in every aspect for some to be happy, others just want to see improvement. Some just want him gone.

Wow, really I didn't think we would do all those things just because BP became our head coach. What most of you just don't seem to get is that TO was a special coach, one of the best all time. His accomplishments at Nebraska may never be repeated, and that is not a knock on Bo Pelini, that is just saying that TO was that great.

Give BP a chance let him grow into the position just like TO did. He didn't start out being great, he was not even close to as good as Deveney.

i would be happy with steady improvement at this point.

Me to, patience is what is needed. No one seems to remember anything, everyone lives in the here and now.

For 25 years after Bear Bryant and how many coaches did Alabama muddle through being very mediocre to downright bad. They had about 4 good years with Stallings as the coach in the early 90's but that was about it.

After John Robinson left for the pros how many years did USC go through of being very much an also ran before Pete Carrol came on board, 20 years or so.

Terry Donahue retires at UCLA in 1994 and it takes them almost 20 years before they may have found that special coach in Mora.

How bout Washington, Auburn, Texas, these are all historically great programs that have had or our in the middle of a downturn for a protracted time.

Look at Tennessee right now, they are on there 3rd coach in what 6-7 years since they fired Fulmer.

My point is that Nebraska has not been as great as we want them to be, but they haven't been as bad as many feel. All of those teams I have mentioned have had many really down years over long periods of time. Nebraska hasn't had that.

I guess I just look at things with a little perspective. You can't always just look at the here and now, you have to look at the long haul.

e339f546e2dab0d4bddd631a5190c214.gif

They're legit explanations for preseason ranked teams Georgia (top 10) and Florida (top 20).

It's only excuses for Nebraska.

i am pretty confused by this. are you just upset those teams are ranked so high? or do you think we should be ranked that high with them? or do you think that other teams are held to different standards than nebraska, a team that has ended the season ranked lower than it began the season the past 4 years?

I think we, when we think about other teams, are--for lack of a better word--okay with giving reasons that are classified as excuses when talking about our team.

• Fire 1

Maybe we set the bar too high for Bo Pelini when he initially accepted the coaching job?

Considering the program and all its intangibles had been completely shredded in the 4-6 years prior, yeah, that's quite probable.

Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeez

• Fire 2

Well we set a standard of 2008 being better than 2007, and Bo Pelini delivered.

We expected 2009 to be better than 2008, and Bo Pelini delivered. For the most part. One of the best defenses in Husker memory, which is saying something.

After which I thought our expectations for improvement remained pretty reasonable. And that was the point where Bo stopped delivering.

All of those teams hired their way into championships eventually. Every example of success you gave got there by avoiding the status quo. None of them sat on a coach for 10 years to finally win. Bo Pelini is one of the longest tenured coaches in the Power 5. You'll have an almost impossible time finding a coach in a similar position. The only one I can think of is Richt at Georgia. And I'd say he's working on borrowed time as well. Spurrier maybe, but USC is winning 11.

exactly.

And how long is the list of schools who have kept firing coaches and still never get any better - if not worse?

• Fire 1

Auburn hired an offensive guru who made SEC defenses look silly with his schemes. As far as I know we haven't changed our philosophies.

They were also stupid lucky and could have easily been 7-5 or worse.

Are double standards hard to explain?

Stupid lucky.......you mean kind of like Nebraska last year. Wyoming, Northwestern, and Penn State are all games I'd say Nebraska was pretty fortunate to win. Jussayin.

Think about it Polo, please.

How much stock would you put in a first time head coach taking over the controls of a program coming off tumultuous times?

I think we did set the bar too high over all BBB12. I know you weren't asking me, but that's my thoughts. Still, on the flip side, Bo was specifically hired to fix a historically terrible Nebraska defense. Instead, we set historically new lows defensively. I hope this season starts the upward trend though. I think this defense could be a good one, and honestly I'm excited to watch this season.

Stupid lucky.......you mean kind of like Nebraska last year. Wyoming, Northwestern, and Penn State are all games I'd say Nebraska was pretty fortunate to win. Jussayin.

You think we were pretty fortunate to win a game where we had a 16 point lead with just over six minutes remaining?