Homosexuality, Culture, and Theology

In much the same way as the KKK is equally intolerant to Blacks as well as Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Asians, etc.

It's swell to see that bigotry is equal-opportunity. If Mr. Chandler was ONLY after the gays, that would be a bad thing. But because he lumps them together with all the other sinners, he's to be praised. Just like the KKK.

Not even close man.

I feel as if the point has been missed.

All sin is equal, which, is what he is saying.

Which means, that HE, YOU, or I are just as guilty as the person next to us regarding sin. Thats it. We are all sinners. It's the misconception of homosexuality being "OK" which what drives this topic.

If society felt that it was ok to be a liar, with no condemnation, then LYING would be the topic at hand. However, its not because we all agree that lying is bad.

The reason why this (homosexuality) gets the misconceptions of being OK is because of it not being laid out in bold letters "HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG" even though the Bible does clearly explain this situation. Sexual Immorality is where this gets grouped in.

The same as:
Sexual Promiscuity
Incest

Adultery

Beastiality(spelling?)
etc.

Which means, that HE, YOU, or I are just as guilty as the person next to us regarding sin. Thats it. We are all sinners. It's the misconception of homosexuality being "OK" which what drives this topic.

If society felt that it was ok to be a liar, with no condemnation, then LYING would be the topic at hand. However, its not because we all agree that lying is bad.

The reason why this (homosexuality) gets the misconceptions of being OK is because of it not being laid out in bold letters "HOMOSEXUALITY IS WRONG" even though the Bible does clearly explain this situation. Sexual Immorality is where this gets grouped in.

The same as:

Sexual Promiscuity

Incest

Adultery

Beastiality(spelling?)

etc.

In the Christian faith, yes, some (not all) identify homosexuality as sin. A very good friend of mine is annoyingly forward with his Jesus talk, bible quotes on Facebook, "Praise God..." bap bap bap - and he's gay as the day is long. His church doesn't identify him as a sinner, so it's not even a universal truth amongst Christians.

I know the KKK analogy is seven levels over the top, and I'm not trying to label Christians as that level of intolerant, but it's gotta be said - y'all gotta stop focusing on the gays.

I know the Pope isn't the recognized leader of every Christian, but even Pope Francis is denouncing the gay denouncing. It's non-productive. If it were a business model, it'd be New Coke.

Even calling it a sin is a non-starter with everyone who doesn't believe in the Christian God. Who cares what that god says? It ain't my god, right?

I don't know. I'm really annoyed by intolerance, and to me this is just another in a long, dreary list of things that people hate about others that they have no business bothering with. I have no idea what the point of this thread was, but it comes across as unnecessary in the extreme. (this and every other post in this thread from me is coming from a member, not a Mod)

• Fire 3

I don't know. I'm really annoyed by intolerance, and to me this is just another in a long, dreary list of things that people hate about others that they have no business bothering with. I have no idea what the point of this thread was, but it comes across as unnecessary in the extreme. (this and every other post in this thread from me is coming from a member, not a Mod)

i agree, knapp. what is frustrating is the attitude that this is somehow better; to say they are no worse than other sinners. like being intolerant of it, because you qualify it, is ok because you are equally judgmental of other sinners. sinners whose sins are actually harmful. who cares how you categorize it? you are saying this lifestyle is wrong for no other reason than you do not like it.

and it is inherently different than other sins because it does not hurt anyone else. most sins hurt other people or yourself. loving someone of the same sex is not that different than loving someone of the opposite sex.

• Fire 1

I know the KKK analogy is seven levels over the top, and I'm not trying to label Christians as that level of intolerant, but it's gotta be said - y'all gotta stop focusing on the gays.

I know the Pope isn't the recognized leader of every Christian, but even Pope Francis is denouncing the gay denouncing. It's non-productive. If it were a business model, it'd be New Coke.

And yet this guy is trying to do exactly that, and you couldn't be more dismissive.

Are you telling me he's advocating the 100% acceptance of gays, an end to any church persecution, that it's time to move on, and that the church and Christians need to focus more on the log in their own eye than the mote in their neighbor's?

So when I asked for a tl;dr up there, that would have been a good thing to lead off with, right? Instead of being dismissive which, sources tell me, is a bad thing...

Like I said I haven't watched the videos that he actually posted, but I'm really familiar with Chandler in general and he is genuinely and compassionately consistent in saying, "Look. We have got to get past our intolerance and obsession on hot-topic issues and get to loving people out of humility. How? Okay well let me tell you about how Jesus did it in the gospel."

I don't know if those videos are quite to that point, but those videos are also from five years ago and I would expect/hope that he has grown himself in grace and tolerance since then.

So sorry I didn't give you a recap since I haven't seen them, but I wasn't dismissive of anything you said until you made a qualitative, generalizing and stereotyping statement about a guy you know nothing about, which I dismissed as being false.

The same as:

Sexual Promiscuity

Incest

Adultery

Beastiality(spelling?)

etc.

(this and every other post in this thread from me is coming from a member, not a Mod)

All I would like to add to this conversation is ~ Love the disclaimer Knapp! woot! +1

So...

You haven't watched these videos, you have no idea what they say and you're making claims about them based off supposition, but you're judging me because I've... done the same thing?

Imma go out on a limb and say that's kinda weird, broseph.

And since neither you nor I have watched those videos, based on the "narcissistic zero" stance I've read Mr. Chandler taking toward members of his church who criticize him, I'm going to go ahead and feel pretty comfortable sticking to my belief of intolerance in these videos.

• Fire 1