Homosexuality, Culture, and Theology

Is there a tl;dr version of this for those of us who don't want to sit through an hour of this dude's theology?

Haha! Knapp, pardon my ignorance but what is "tl;dr"

basically just means what you posted is too long for people to care enough to pay attention to

O/U till dumpster fire: 1 page.

==============

As for me, I'm not too keen on homosexual lifestyles. But over the years I've "progressed" to the point where I try my best not to be biased against gays. Sure I might joke around once in a whilelike the occasional post in jest on this board—but I wouldn't say (or post) something malicious intended to make a gay person feel bad. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think homosexuality is right, but I try to be tolerant and respectful. After all, a gay person is just another human. I think that's in accordance with WWJD. (btw, I only watched the first few minutes of the first youtube vid. Didn't see the entirety of the guys "sermon" yet. )

(WWJD: << Hey Knapp, I discovered a cool internet abbreviation too! :lol:)

I didn't take the time to watch the videos either, but upon Googling him, this seems to be his message:

Chandler begins by tracing the biblical storyline. In the second video, he gives some basic responses to several street-level objections, like:

1. If you’re not hurting anyone else, what’s wrong with it?
2. Since you’re a sinner, too, who are you to call out others?
3. Jesus didn’t say anything about homosexuality.
4. Some animals have same-sex relations, so if it’s in nature it must natural.
5. The homosexuality condemned by Paul is a different type of homosexuality than we see today.
6. Revisionist arguments from modern scholarship.

He also talks about the way in which he seeks to engage in dialogue with homosexuals in a gospel-centered way.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2010/06/23/matt-chandler-seminary-on-homosexuality/

I didn't take the time to watch the videos either, but upon Googling him, this seems to be his message:

Chandler begins by tracing the biblical storyline. In the second video, he gives some basic responses to several street-level objections, like:

1. If you’re not hurting anyone else, what’s wrong with it?

2. Since you’re a sinner, too, who are you to call out others?

3. Jesus didn’t say anything about homosexuality.

4. Some animals have same-sex relations, so if it’s in nature it must natural.

5. The homosexuality condemned by Paul is a different type of homosexuality than we see today.

6. Revisionist arguments from modern scholarship.

He also talks about the way in which he seeks to engage in dialogue with homosexuals in a gospel-centered way.

http://thegospelcoalition.org/blogs/justintaylor/2010/06/23/matt-chandler-seminary-on-homosexuality/

Chandler is probably the most level-headed and status-quo-challenging bible teacher I know of. He calls people out on their bullsh#t and does it in a natural screaming kind of voice but somehow it ends up being graceful and hilarious and loving.

This was his breakout moment that started gaining him a lot of popularity, I think:

And I enjoyed his calling out of Megyn Kelley quite a bit as well.

In much the same way as the KKK is equally intolerant to Blacks as well as Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Asians, etc.

It's swell to see that bigotry is equal-opportunity. If Mr. Chandler was ONLY after the gays, that would be a bad thing. But because he lumps them together with all the other sinners, he's to be praised. Just like the KKK.

• Fire 3

In much the same way as the KKK is equally intolerant to Blacks as well as Hispanics, Middle Easterners, Asians, etc.

It's swell to see that bigotry is equal-opportunity. If Mr. Chandler was ONLY after the gays, that would be a bad thing. But because he lumps them together with all the other sinners, he's to be praised. Just like the KKK.

i had the same thought. how big of him to say homosexuality is no worse than other sins. awfully courageous to take that stand.

is arrogance as bad as homosexuality? who is he to define the level of sinfulness?