It is a solid indicator of the lasting societal impact that slavery and overt oppression has caused. It is not a perfect indicator, nor is it the only one, nor did I claim it was. It is a single data point. But it is a valid response to "Why do I have to put up with this bogus affirmative action crap"

maybe society just isn't ready yet but I am already there and wish more people would catch up.

People of color have all of the laws they ever likely to have to assure their legal equality. Imo that only leaves attitudes and popular opinion left to change. I think a clear majority already accept equality regardless of race or color. It's time we leave the bigots and racists in our wake and quit empowering their antiquated attitudes.

You might be ready as far as how you treat people, which I applaud, but you aren't there yet as far as education about the issue because the bolded is still not anywhere close to true. Or, I guess, not as much that it's not true, but it's not the whole picture. The individual laws themselves are important but not the end all - you still have the systems that enact and enforce those laws, the people that write them, and tons of other things in place that are still very much perpetuating inequality.

It is a solid indicator of the lasting societal impact that slavery and overt oppression has caused. It is not a perfect indicator, nor is it the only one, nor did I claim it was. It is a single data point. But it is a valid response to "Why do I have to put up with this bogus affirmative action crap"

I'm still not seeing the link. By using a pure statistic, you could also say that Affirmative Action should now be applied to ALL men applying to college as male enrollements at 4-year universities is at an all-time low. A statistic at purely face value doesn't contribute much.

This

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/30/5665778/americas-real-racism-problem-doesnt-look-like-donald-sterling

is a really good article.

But similar conclusions pop up in a staggering range of scenarios. A study last summer showed that doctors are stingier when handing out painkillers to black patients than to white ones. Indeed, doctors appear to make racially biased treatment decisions in a range of areas. And it's not just doctors. In a 2007 study, psychologists had people play a kind of video game where armed and unarmed subjects pop up against a variety of backgrounds and the player has to decide whether or not to shoot. In the simulation, people were more likely to mistakenly shoot a black person than a white one. In a famous 2003 paper, Marianne Bertrand and Sendhil Mullainathan sent out otherwise identical resumes under both stereotypically "white" and stereotypically "black" names. The white names were 50 percent more likely to be called back. Justin Wolfers and Joseph Price found that white referees are more likely to call fouls on black players in the National Basketball Association.

You're drawing your own conclusions from a statistic and putting words in my mouth, that's what's going on there.

You appear to be clinging to statistics at face value, applying them as you wish, and deeming them "valid". Is that "what's going on there" (whatever that means)? I've stopped caring.

I have zero idea what your argument is, that's what's going on here. I mean if you don't think that racism and oppression is an ongoing problem for blacks, one that should continue to be addressed, and one that makes this supposed "double standard" not be a travesty, feel free to show me. And if you do think these issues are a problem great, we're in agreement.

You're drawing your own conclusions from a statistic and putting words in my mouth, that's what's going on there.

You appear to be clinging to statistics at face value, applying them as you wish, and deeming them "valid". Is that "what's going on there" (whatever that means)? I've stopped caring.

I have zero idea what your argument is, that's what's going on here. I mean if you don't think that racism and oppression is an ongoing problem for blacks, one that should continue to be addressed, and one that makes this supposed "double standard" not be a travesty, feel free to show me. And if you do think these issues are a problem great, we're in agreement.

As I said, I've stopped caring, but I am curious about one thing: if you view it as a problem, what are YOU going to do about it? Anything?

As I said, I've stopped caring, but I am curious about one thing: if you view it as a problem, what are YOU going to do about it? Anything?

Support these policies and vote accordingly. What can I personally do about it Creighton Duke? I cannot change the world by myself. But I can maybe help show people that these are still problems and get people thinking. That's all I can do. This is a Nebraska Football internet forum. By the way, I like that argumentative fallacy that you go to repeatedly. "What are you gonna do about it???" Yeah, okay man. You got me. I'm gonna eat cheetos and keep benefiting from racism. If I truly believed what I was saying, I'd start like an activist group, quit my job and tour the country. Or whatever it is that you want me to do.

It's not a double standard because it's not equivalent circumstances.

Minority groups have tighter bonds, closer family lines, less diversity in background and upbringing, and more exclusive culture than majority/oppressor groups due to, you guessed it, being oppressed.

I thought whole bunch of black people, like 33% or better, was raised in single parent (mama) after dad splits. And white people was less than 10%. False info ??

maybe society just isn't ready yet but I am already there and wish more people would catch up.People of color have all of the laws they ever likely to have to assure their legal equality. Imo that only leaves attitudes and popular opinion left to change. I think a clear majority already accept equality regardless of race or color. It's time we leave the bigots and racists in our wake and quit empowering their antiquated attitudes.

You might be ready as far as how you treat people, which I applaud, but you aren't there yet as far as education about the issue because the bolded is still not anywhere close to true. Or, I guess, not as much that it's not true, but it's not the whole picture. The individual laws themselves are important but not the end all - you still have the systems that enact and enforce those laws, the people that write them, and tons of other things in place that are still very much perpetuating inequality.

What possible further laws can we create to help assure a fair shake for all citizens? I can't think of any scenario where the law doesn't already provide protection and recourse. I understand that doesn't eliminate prejudice and bigotry and hatred from peoples hearts but neither does acting like whitey is bad or being perpetually sorry and responsible for the transgressions of our ancestors or others who happen to share the same white skin. I'm not claiming things are as good as they'll ever get, just that maybe they are good enough to treat the remaining bigots like they're the exception rather than the rule.

I still maintain the remaining step to be taken to true equality is for everyone to acknowledge everyone is equal and to quit having exceptions and allowances based on a persons skin color. The relatively few remaining racists will be run over soon enough. I just think the permanent change would be realized sooner if people just realized we have done about as much as we can do to right past wrongs and I feel further efforts to that end may be counterproductive and actually be hindering getting where we want to be.

Yes it is a double standard in terms of perception. But there is no law against starting a "white people meet.com" or doing whatever else white-exclusive thing you want. And ill also add that if something like this truly bothers you then you may very well have some racist tendancies you should address. Me? I really dont give a damn. I have far too many more important things to worry about than petty racial differences in this country. And i would suggest you find some too.