I just watched TV commercial. Supposedly "Blackpeoplemeet.com" (TV commercial) is not racial but if there was a Whitepeoplemeet.com it would be racist? Also joined by congressional black caucus, BET channel, black awards, ebony mag, black college fund, NAACP, etc., etc.,

Double standard here?

Discuss .......

It's not a double standard because it's not equivalent circumstances.

Minority groups have tighter bonds, closer family lines, less diversity in background and upbringing, and more exclusive culture than majority/oppressor groups due to, you guessed it, being oppressed.

• Fire 1

I just watched TV commercial. Supposedly "Blackpeoplemeet.com" (TV commercial) is not racial but if there was a Whitepeoplemeet.com it would be racist? Also joined by congressional black caucus, BET channel, black awards, ebony mag, black college fund, NAACP, etc., etc.,

Double standard here?

Discuss .......

meh, it's really not something worth getting worked up about. Many of the things you mentioned were started at a time when Blacks couldn't participate in the "white" versions of things either because of de jure discrimination like Jim Crow or de facto discrimination.

Let's look at what you mentioned:

CBC: 1971

Ebony: 1945

United Negro College Fund: 1944

BET: 1980

The best example of this is with HBCU's. Is the idea of a university for students of only one ethnic group racist? Maybe. But HBCUs still exist and it's understandable given their history...but if you look at the state of HBCU's today they're dying off as many of the good black students that used to choose to attend them are going to larger integrated schools. I think that will eventually happen with most of the things you listed.

Is it a double standard? I don't know. A lot of dating sites, a lot of everything really, are effectively white-only or dominated by whites. Some places make it clear that whites are the only accepted group in almost every way short of putting up a Jim-Crow era sign. In a country with residual de facto discrimination/segregation I think it's worthwhile to have spaces for minorities to do their own thing but it doesn't matter what I think. These are private enterprises and they can do what they like.

The only race issue that annoys me are race preferences in government jobs/universities.

Yes, it seems to be a double standard to me and you're right. There would be a HUGE uproar if there was a site like that for white people only.

What is "white" anyway? Are the Irish and Spaniards white? Jews? Italians? They weren't 100-150 years ago.

[quote name="Excel" post="1366897" timestamp="1400940813"Let's look at what you mentioned:

The best example of this is with HBCU's. Is the idea of a university for students of only one ethnic group racist? Maybe. But HBCUs still exist and it's understandable given their history...but if you look at the state of HBCU's today they're dying off as many of the good black students that used to choose to attend them are going to larger integrated schools. I think that will eventually happen with most of the things you listed.

Is it a double standard? I don't know. A lot of dating sites, a lot of everything really, are effectively white-only or dominated by whites. Some places make it clear that whites are the only accepted group in almost every way short of putting up a Jim-Crow era sign. In a country with residual de facto discrimination/segregation I think it's worthwhile to have spaces for minorities to do their own thing but it doesn't matter what I think. These are private enterprises and they can do what they like.

The only race issue that annoys me are race preferences in government jobs/universities.

Double standard here?

Discuss .......

meh, it's really not something worth getting worked up about. Many of the things you mentioned were started at a time when Blacks couldn't participate in the "white" versions of things either because of de jure discrimination like Jim Crow or de facto discrimination.

Let's look at what you mentioned:

Can you give me examples of what you are talking about in your second to last paragraph?

I can only talk about what I have seen in various places, especially in the South, that I have lived. They are my own experiences and my own interpretation of them so I don't want to hear a bunch of s$*t...but what I'm talking about are the super-restrictive dress codes at bars, the members-only clubs and billiards lounges, the massive networks of private schools founded post-brown v. board, the public transportation systems that end just outside of white neighborhoods, white neighborhoods that are kept white with gates and housing authorities and even some things I've seen with police. I'm not some bleeding heart liberal but the de facto segregation and discrimination that exists in this country, at least in the South, is very real.

I can only talk about what I have seen in various places, especially in the South, that I have lived. They are my own experiences and my own interpretation of them so I don't want to hear a bunch of s$*t...but what I'm talking about are the super-restrictive dress codes at bars, the members-only clubs and billiards lounges, the massive networks of private schools founded post-brown v. board, the public transportation systems that end just outside of white neighborhoods, white neighborhoods that are kept white with gates and housing authorities and even some things I've seen with police. I'm not some bleeding heart liberal but the de facto segregation and discrimination that exists in this country, at least in the South, is very real.

Was just going to comment about the south. I worked in Mobile for the last year, and they have "members only" bars. There is no way to become a member, you just walk in, if your the right person you are in.