SBNation B1G Preview: #4 Nebraska

Count summed if up nicely. Overall thus far his hire has been a success in my book from an academic standpoint. From an athletic standpoint he has turned a ship around but hasnt set sail yet. If he has a losing season and is let go, most would consider it a failure. The jury is most defintitely still out on his tenure, but personally I think hes been good for Nebraska overall.

The problem is now his own actions on and off the field has all but demanded the he has a breakthrough year, and soon, if he wants to continue on, according to the article. Which I agree with, along with a lot of other writers and analysts across this fruited plain.

And most do not think it's coming this year. Which is unfortunate, because the schedule shakes out in his favor, and he has a talented team. And most attribute the upcoming four losses because "it's what he does"', which implies they think he's incapable or unwilling to change. This obviously can be argued but then you look at the retention of Ross Els after the special teams debacle of last year and it really makes you wonder.

Sometimes it just seems to me that Bo is in an unwinnable situation, and part of it is by his own actions, and part probably isn't.

Between his own statements when first hired and his most recent outbursts, no he has not done himself any favors. But he is bettering himself and that all anyone in his position can do.

As far a record goes, the pattern is clear and unignorable. Why would writers that dont specifically follow NU believe there will be any change. I think he gets over the hump this year, even if only by a smidge. The talent on the roster now compared to when we first joined the conference is a big improvement especially when looking at whats yet to come. The schedule is much more favorable when comparing to the first couple years in the league.

For me the first couple years compared to last year are vastly different. The conference switch isnt accepted as an excuse, fine. But we were bare bones in certain areas and that got exploited badly. We had veterans struggling to do much while we had blowout after blowout. Last year we were as young as ever but managed to keep games closer yet making the mistakes youd expect out of such raw young players.

The writing on the wall for some says we stay the same course. For me I expect no less than 10 wins and finally some respect from the rest of the landscape.

• Fire 2

Ross Els is purportedly in charge of three sections of the team that haven't exactly been glittering of late. (Yes recruiting appears to be on the uptick). We can say he's spread to thin but who's fault is that ultimately?

And I'm glad they're "shaking things up next year" but I'll never understand why this staff has to let something become nearly irretrievably broken before it's "tweaked"

Ross Els is purportedly in charge of three sections of the team that haven't exactly been glittering of late. (Yes recruiting appears to be on the uptick). We can say he's spread to thin but who's fault is that ultimately?

And I'm glad they're "shaking things up next year" but I'll never understand why this staff has to let something become nearly irretrievably broken before it's "tweaked"

Recruiting went on an immediate upswing once Els took that facet over. Linebackers? Well. We'll see now that he's got a considerable upgrade in talent AND experience at his disposal. Every coach has to have some talent to go along with his abilities as a coach. And this upgrade in talent is due to his coordination of recruiting over the past 3 seasons.

But I'll agree and I also wonder why Els's special teams responsibilities remained his. Unless of course there is a more concerted multi-coach effort at that spot that we dont know about by official title. But last year was an utter disaster. And that is one thing Polo is right on about. I also have never seen such a disasterous punt return team in my life. We used to make jokes about the Panico days of '04 under Callahan. But at least our offense got the ball in manageable field position on a consistent basis with such plan. Every time we stopped a team on third down last year, I still wasnt more than 50% sure we were actually getting the ball back. And when we did, god help us with the field position. It was abismal. I've said this and I continue to stick with it. I've seen peewee football teams field more competent punt returns teams than what we trotted out on a consistent basis.

But it's not grounds to completely oust Els from the staff and I feel that it's a result of him simply having too much on his plate. LB coach, recruiting coordinator, AND special teams coach. So to me, *official* changes to that job that have not been made have me a little discombobulated as well.

• Fire 1

Count summed if up nicely. Overall thus far his hire has been a success in my book from an academic standpoint. From an athletic standpoint he has turned a ship around but hasnt set sail yet. If he has a losing season and is let go, most would consider it a failure. The jury is most defintitely still out on his tenure, but personally I think hes been good for Nebraska overall.

The problem is now his own actions on and off the field has all but demanded the he has a breakthrough year, and soon, if he wants to continue on, according to the article. Which I agree with, along with a lot of other writers and analysts across this fruited plain.

And most do not think it's coming this year. Which is unfortunate, because the schedule shakes out in his favor, and he has a talented team. And most attribute the upcoming four losses because "it's what he does"', which implies they think he's incapable or unwilling to change. This obviously can be argued but then you look at the retention of Ross Els after the special teams debacle of last year and it really makes you wonder.

Sometimes it just seems to me that Bo is in an unwinnable situation, and part of it is by his own actions, and part probably isn't.

That is an interesting take. You think our schedule is easy enough (somewhat arguable, at least when you compare to other teams in B1G) and our team is talented enough (either from solid recruiting or player development), so what holds you back from thinking this would be a breakout year, not simply from a #9wins perspective?

The problem is now his own actions on and off the field has all but demanded the he has a breakthrough year, and soon, if he wants to continue on, according to the article. Which I agree with, along with a lot of other writers and analysts across this fruited plain.And most do not think it's coming this year. Which is unfortunate, because the schedule shakes out in his favor, and he has a talented team. And most attribute the upcoming four losses because "it's what he does"', which implies they think he's incapable or unwilling to change. This obviously can be argued but then you look at the retention of Ross Els after the special teams debacle of last year and it really makes you wonder.

That is an interesting take. You think our schedule is easy enough (somewhat arguable, at least when you compare to other teams in B1G) and our team is talented enough (either from solid recruiting or player development), so what holds you back from thinking this would be a breakout year, not simply from a #9wins perspective?

I think there's at least 8 games on that schedule Nebraska should win with ease, yes. Throw in a win or two at Miami, MSU and you're looking at probably 11 wins. Which, obviously, would be good. There's talent on this team. Teams that people say have a first round draft pick on defense and an elite running back core are talented.

This team is hamstrung by it's own leadership.

Road games at Wiscy, Mich St, and Iowa. We could be a very good team and competitive in all 12 games, and still wind up 9-3 and a game or two out of 1st place. I know it would be meltdown around here, but it's still a real possibility. This schedule is not hardley easy with 3 road games against 3 of the conference's top 5 from a year ago.

The 2015 schedule sets up a lot nicer than this year's does.

I'm guessing this is kind of a tongue-in-cheek thing? Otherwise, are you already looking another year out? 2012 was all about building for 2013. As that went into the crapper 2013 came about the defense being built for 2014. Now as we approach that season we're already talking about 2015...and not because we're good but because of the schedule?

• Fire 4

I'm guessing this is kind of a tongue-in-cheek thing? Otherwise, are you already looking another year out? 2012 was all about building for 2013. As that went into the crapper 2013 came about the defense being built for 2014. Now as we approach that season we're already talking about 2015...and not because we're good but because of the schedule?

also, seems like youth and inexperience are odd excuses when talking about a sport with a four year turnaround.

Look, I give him credit where he deserves credit, and I give him a lot of it. He has done an excellent job in all but the coaching side of his job. Some parts of that are adequate and above, I am sure, but he did not state he was raising Nebraska's academic standards, graduation rates or morals of the team. He said he was here to win CHAMPIONSHIPS, return Nebraska to past glory days. I then thought there was no chance of it happening, but I have a slight glimmer of hope he has learned how to be the coach he needs to be, but this year we need to see a more focused team, ready for every game, every possible game plan. Special Teams need to improve, turnovers are so high and continue to raise.

Good guy, who initially I thought wasn't. 180 out on that, and I am sorry I felt that way. I felt he was not ready to be a head coach, have always felt that way. Still do.

But my guess is, if you asked Bo today, are you where you expected to be, met the goals you set for yourself, his answer would be, not close.

also, seems like youth and inexperience are odd excuses when talking about a sport with a four year turnaround.

Even more odd to say we'll be better the year after where our two best players will have to be replaced.

Look, I give him credit where he deserves credit, and I give him a lot of it. He has done an excellent job in all but the coaching side of his job. Some parts of that are adequate and above, I am sure, but he did not state he was raising Nebraska's academic standards, graduation rates or morals of the team. He said he was here to win CHAMPIONSHIPS, return Nebraska to past glory days. I then thought there was no chance of it happening, but I have a slight glimmer of hope he has learned how to be the coach he needs to be, but this year we need to see a more focused team, ready for every game, every possible game plan. Special Teams need to improve, turnovers are so high and continue to raise.Good guy, who initially I thought wasn't. 180 out on that, and I am sorry I felt that way. I felt he was not ready to be a head coach, have always felt that way. Still do.But my guess is, if you asked Bo today, are you where you expected to be, met the goals you set for yourself, his answer would be, not close.

Unless you ask him after a bad loss, then he'd say he has nothing to apologize for.

Got links? I like to see viewpoints on both ends of the spectrum.