Scanning magazines: What do they say about the Huskers?

After flipping through all of them and continuing the journey to the dairy aisle, there is one clear takeaway: There is nothing close to a consensus opinion regarding the local team. Good, bad, or in-between, people have no idea what Nebraska football will be in 2014.

Here’s a sampling about what some of those people are saying.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/football/scanning-magazines-what-do-they-say-about-the-huskers/article_239f4fa3-3f05-525b-ae4a-7d621ebfbb9b.html

I predict that Gregory will have a great year and enter the draft next spring and that the team will have 4 losses. There's really no reason to predict anything else at this point.

Yeah seriously. Any good will towards this program has been tapped. It's time to produce, and if they do, great. But it's myopic to assume anything will be different.

• Fire 3

I predict that Gregory will have a great year and enter the draft next spring and that the team will have 4 losses. There's really no reason to predict anything else at this point.

Yeah seriously. Any good will towards this program has been tapped. It's time to produce, and if they do, great. But it's myopic to assume anything will be different.
I agree. I think Nebraska has been given the benefit of the doubt by nearly every writer and analyst out there in recent years. They've put some pretty high expectations out there and given us a lot of credit pre-season as far as rankings and expected win loss record. Each time we've been expected to make "the jump forward", something always happens. Whether you call it an excuse, or simply call it a logical reason for the 4 loss bug, it never fails to happen. Nationally we just aren't really a splash in the pond anymore. Even some individual success recently with guys like Ameer and Gregory has put Nebraska on the map, but it's not nearly as widely discussed as it could be if the TEAM as a whole found a way to make a national impact. Losing big games on big stages has been very deflating for this program.

I still think Tommy Armstong might be the guy that is capable of winning these tough games on big stages. Seems like he is the type who handles pressure well and may flourish when the heat is on and the game is on the line.

With this years schedule and all the night games, we will have plenty of chances to show a large portion of the country what kind of team we are. Maybe this year we don't choke.

I still think Tommy Armstong might be the guy that is capable of winning these tough games on big stages. Seems like he is the type who handles pressure well and may flourish when the heat is on and the game is on the line.

With this years schedule and all the night games, we will have plenty of chances to show a large portion of the country what kind of team we are. Maybe this year we don't choke.

The platform is certainly there, that's for sure. And you're right, winning games where the nation is watching is the only way to get national respect.

Isn't it equally myopic to assume things will stay the same? You know what happens when you assume, right?

Alright, you heard the guys above.

End of discussion...

Thanks for showing up guys!

Seems a bit melodramatic, no?

Did you read the posts he was referring to? Posting on this board has become mostly about melodrama.

As regards the original post, I think the wide variety of predictions mirrors the wide range of opinions in the fanbase. No one really knows what to expect. The general consensus (at least IMO) seems to be that the Huskers have the talent, but the intangibles have held them back under Bo and may do so again. I am cautiously optimistic right now - I think we'll be in the hunt for the conference title right to the end.

Isn't it equally myopic to assume things will stay the same? You know what happens when you assume, right?

Not really... you know the old saying. Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend. So what is 6? A continuation of that trend. That's not to say there HAS to be 4 losses. There could very well be a season of 1 loss or 6 losses. But if I were a betting man making a prediction, I would predict 4 losses.

Not really... you know the old saying. Once is a fluke, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend. So what is 6? A continuation of that trend. That's not to say there HAS to be 4 losses. There could very well be a season of 1 loss or 6 losses. But if I were a betting man making a prediction, I would predict 4 losses.

There's no way I would. It's statistically absurd.

• Fire 2

There's no way I would. It's statistically absurd.

It has been the last 4. Hasn't stopped it from happening.