Scanning magazines: What do they say about the Huskers?

Can you honestly name a team that had worse injuries than us last year? Georgia lost ONE player, we lost almost our entire offense.

That's a gross exaggeration.

Well let's see how much of an exaggeration it is. Injury reports from before the game:

Georgia Injury Report

Player Pos. Injury Status

Paris Bostick LB toe Questionable

Tray Matthews DB hamstring Probable

Aaron Murray QB knee Out

Nebraska Injury Report

Player Pos. Details Status

Mike Moudy G shoulder Questionable

Thaddeus Randle DT knee Questionable

Jamal Turner WR undisclosed Questionable

Wil Richards S ankle Questionable

Jared Afalava T knee Questionable

Tommy Armstrong Jr QB ankle Probable

Daniel Davie CB knee Out

Tyler Wullenwaber WR shoulder Out

Spencer Long G knee Out

So... Wullenwaber and Long were the ENTIRE Nebraska offense in 2014? K.

Can you honestly name a team that had worse injuries than us last year? Georgia lost ONE player, we lost almost our entire offense.

Well let's see how much of an exaggeration it is. Injury reports from before the game:

Georgia Injury Report

Aaron Murray QB knee Out

Nebraska Injury Report

Daniel Davie CB knee Out

Spencer Long G knee Out

Well, Armstrong, and Turner played. Afalava was probably off the team at that point for other reasons, and I don't remember if Moudy did or not.

I do think Cody Green and Brion Carnes transferred for a reason. I'm not saying they ever were going to start, but I damn sure remember a lot of complaining that Carnes never got reps. Especially after the 2011 Iowa game, for example.

Pretty sure the amount of complaining has no bearing on it's validity.

Green threw more INTs that TDs at Tulsa and ran for 9 yards per game. Carnes barely played at Northern Iowa, was a 50% passer and threw more INTs than TDs. Pertty sure their not playing was much more based on ability than the complainers want to believe.

• Fire 3

I do think Cody Green and Brion Carnes transferred for a reason. I'm not saying they ever were going to start, but I damn sure remember a lot of complaining that Carnes never got reps. Especially after the 2011 Iowa game, for example.

Green threw more INTs that TDs at Tulsa and ran for 9 yards per game. Carnes barely played at Northern Iowa, was a 50% passer and threw more INTs than TDs. Pertty sure their not playing was much more based on ability than the complainers want to believe.

Good thing we recruited them then.

I mean, I don't remember much about Carnes but I thought Green came with a pretty good pedigree. As for their struggles once they left, well, they didn't get much of a chance to hone their craft under game conditions.

Georgia Injury Report

Aaron Murray QB knee Out

Nebraska Injury Report

Daniel Davie CB knee Out

Spencer Long G knee Out

So... Wullenwaber and Long were the ENTIRE Nebraska offense in 2014? K.

Turner had what... one play? Armstrong didn't have his usual mobility. They were playing injured, but still playing. It's an exaggeration but not a gross exaggeration. A gross exaggeration is saying Georgia had just as many injuries as we did and if they they were fully healthy would have destroyed us. IE:

Had we played Georgia with their roster healthy, we don't win that game. So i consider it lucky for us they weren't.

In the end they had one player out, and we had more. Both teams fully healthy I think we still beat them and probably convincingly as our offense would have been much better with Martinez at QB (remember Georgia was able to make the game close because of turnovers).

In the end they had one player out, and we had more. Both teams fully healthy I think we still beat them and probably convincingly as our offense would have been much better with Martinez at QB (remember Georgia was able to make the game close because of turnovers).

yes, i'm sure with martinez in the game turnovers would have not been an issue. nebraska did not have any inclination towards turning the ball over prior to armstrong starting.

Georgia Injury Report

Aaron Murray QB knee Out

Nebraska Injury Report

Daniel Davie CB knee Out

Spencer Long G knee Out

I think you're missing a few....first hit in a google search...

Georgia already lost WR Malcolm Mitchell for the season after he tore his ACL celebrating with Todd Gurley after a touchdown against Clemson. (You can watch the freak injury video here.)

And during yesterday’s 34-31 overtime win at Tennessee, three more offensive starters suffered knee injuries. RB Keith Marshall and WR Justin Scott-Wesley suffered season-ending ACL tears,according to head coach Mark Richt. WR Michael Bennett will reportedly have arthroscopic surgery to find out the extent of his injury.

...so there's 4 offensive starters. Gurley was out part of the season with ankle issues and wasn't 100%. WR Bennet was injured for part of the season, as was Conley. TE Rome had ankle surgery Throw in Murray of course.

Those are mostly starters - not a WR that rarely saw action, a CB that played a small part on ST, a safety not even in the mix, a LBer that had been passed down to 3rd string, and a guard that rarely played. But whatever makes your list longer right?

I mean, I don't remember much about Carnes but I thought Green came with a pretty good pedigree. As for their struggles once they left, well, they didn't get much of a chance to hone their craft under game conditions.

You lost some credibility with this post. Complete reach here. Nobody knows what kind of player a recruit will turn into. If they lose a competition and transfer and still suck at another program, somehow thats Bos fault too? Gimme a break

• Fire 2

You lost some credibility with this post. Complete reach here. Nobody knows what kind of player a recruit will turn into. If they lose a competition and transfer and still suck at another program, somehow thats Bos fault too? Gimme a break

That's not my point. And apparently if you lose a competition you're getting zero snaps at the university of Nebraska. And yet we wonder why there's depth issues.

I hope someone has a pretty dang good idea...

Thats what those star thingys were designed for. They dont hold as much merit as they once did.

A gUy could be a five star and be a total burnout and another guy could be a two star and win the heisman. Recruits develop into the players they become because of staff and their own drive.

This seems to be something a lot of people like to complain about but it is well down the list for where you get better as a player. Getting a lot of reps in practice every day all year against the Husker defense has a lot more effect that getting to run 15-20 plays in mop-up duty against bad teams. Taylor Martinez didn't even get that - he played WR on the scout team his redshirt year after not playing a lot of QB in high school. Didn't seem to hold him back. Lack of previous playing experience didn't seem to bother Johnny Manziel. Or Jameis Winston. Or Aaron Murray. Or Tommie Frazier. And the list goes on and on.....

• Fire 1

Cody Green didn't get much of a chance in game conditions? You sure you're thinking of the right player?

Started 4 games at Nebraska, and got meaningful snaps in 8 other non-blowout games, as well as mop-up duty against all 6 other non-conference cupcakes? Was regularly given one or two series against BCS schools in the first half?

• Fire 1

If only we could see Nebraska and Georgia play against each other with a healthy Taylor Martinez and Aaron Murray so we could know for sure how convincingly we would have beaten them...

Hmmm....Does this count? ==> http://www.omaha.com/huskers/georgia-qb-murray-shines-against-nu/article_bbcb78f2-a4c6-5d31-aec8-d9fc5794fa3f.html

Cody Green didn't get much of a chance in game conditions? You sure you're thinking of the right player?

Started 4 games at Nebraska, and got meaningful snaps in 8 other non-blowout games, as well as mop-up duty against all 6 other non-conference cupcakes? Was regularly given one or two series against BCS schools in the first half?

This is true. They at least tried with Cody.