"Mt. Rushmore" of Husker QBs

I'm sure this has been discussed to some extent before but HuskerOnline put out their version of Mt. Rushmore for Husker QBs (I believe it's a free article). Plus, it's the offseason and such so why not.

Tagge, Gill, Frazier and Crouch are hard to argue against with Taylor being right up there. Frost has a National Championship but also wasn't here his whole career.

Does he deserve a spot statistically? I would think not if you're judging their careers as a whole. If it was the character, sportsman, or epitome of a Husker Rushmore then yes but if you are judging the four best quarterbacks to put on the mountain I don't think you put Brook on there.

As both really. QBs at Nebraska are judged mostly by their on field play but also are critiqued on their off field accolades. Berringer was instrumental to a dynasty run and was a model student athlete. Id say thats a pretty good resume.

Does he deserve a spot statistically? I would think not if you're judging their careers as a whole. If it was the character, sportsman, or epitome of a Husker Rushmore then yes but if you are judging the four best quarterbacks to put on the mountain I don't think you put Brook on there.

As both really. QBs at Nebraska are judged mostly by their on field play but also are critiqued on their off field accolades. Berringer was instrumental to a dynasty run and was a model student athlete. Id say thats a pretty good resume.

Not to be rude, but I guarantee most people wouldn't know what Brooke did off the field, if it wasn't due to his death and all the stories that came about afterward. QB's are judged by what they do ON the field, not off, and its always been that way and always will be that way. You think if Ron Kellogg III was to go out and have all the off the field acolades that Brooke had, he would even be considered to be an honorable mention? No way. Now if a QB is going to be like a Lawrence Phillips, then sure, he will be judged by his off the field stuff.

He had a short run here, while having being a WONDERFUL person off the field/on the sidelines, but honorable mention would only be because of his death. Had he played for more than one whole season as a starter, then I would agree.

Please don't think I am out to "get" Berringer. I cried over his death and I loved watching him play. I was still in grade school at that time, and I admire what he has done here, while giving this program a great image.

• Fire 2

Not to be rude, but I guarantee most people wouldn't know what Brooke did off the field, if it wasn't due to his death and all the stories that came about afterward. QB's are judged by what they do ON the field, not off, and its always been that way and always will be that way. You think if Ron Kellogg III was to go out and have all the off the field acolades that Brooke had, he would even be considered to be an honorable mention? No way. Now if a QB is going to be like a Lawrence Phillips, then sure, he will be judged by his off the field stuff.

He had a short run here, while having being a WONDERFUL person off the field/on the sidelines, but honorable mention would only be because of his death. Had he played for more than one whole season as a starter, then I would agree.

Please don't think I am out to "get" Berringer. I cried over his death and I loved watching him play. I was still in grade school at that time, and I admire what he has done here, while giving this program a great image.

I get what you're saying but whenever somebody says that "the only reason he's mentioned is because of his death" is nonsense. He was a big part of the national title runs, no doubt about that. He was a great person off the field. But to say the fact that he died should be ignored when considering him for an arbitrary honor such as a message board Mt. Rushmore, I completely disagree.

I would think the fact he died as a Husker hero should actually help his cause for such a mention, rightfully so.

I get what you're saying but whenever somebody says that "the only reason he's mentioned is because of his death" is nonsense. He was a big part of the national title runs, no doubt about that. He was a great person off the field. But to say the fact that he died should be ignored when considering him for an arbitrary honor such as a message board Mt. Rushmore, I completely disagree.

I would think the fact he died as a Husker hero should actually help his cause for such a mention, rightfully so.

I don't believe its nonsense at all. Sure he was a big part, but he wasn't the only part. I would say that Lawrence Phillips had more of an impact on our title run in 1994, and Tommy was our workhorse in '95. Brook was a huge part as well, but the only reason ANYONE had the success they did, was because of our OL. Matt Turman looked like a pro back there.

Obviously it was a team effort but this wasnt a Mt. Rushmore of teams or Linemen or Running Backs. It was of QBs. If you want to go off statistics alone then fine, leave Brook off. But if you want it to be based off impact each individual had then he should be a front runner.

Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln werent put on the mountain because they won their elections in landslide victories.

Obviously it was a team effort but this wasnt a Mt. Rushmore of teams or Linemen or Running Backs. It was of QBs. If you want to go off statistics alone then fine, leave Brook off. But if you want it to be based off impact each individual had then he should be a front runner.

Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln werent put on the mountain because they won their elections in landslide victories.

Ummm what are you talking about? Those presidents were put on there because of what they did IN the office, not out of the office. Was their golf game so good out of the office they ranked over someone who did better in the office? Do you know what the Mt Rushmore is? Its the BEST PLAYERS of all time! Can you REALLY say that Berringer was one of the TOP 5 players of all time in Husker history? First thing that puts you on that list IS your stats and what you have accomplished on the field. If they had off the field issues, it might keep them off the list (IE Lawrence Phillips for the RB Rushmore).

But by your standards, Rex Burkhead should be on the Mt Rushmore as well, if it were a RB selection?

Don't get me wrong, I understand what your saying about Berringer, and what he has done. I agree that he is an amazing person. Quite possibly a better person than you or myself could ever be, but there are other circumstances that I think that are being accounted for to put him on this list. That is all I am saying. There are at least 8 QB's who I would rank above Brook, AS A PLAYER, not as a person.

• Fire 1

So the fact Brook died after his eligibility was up makes him a bad candidate? Lincoln died in office so he getsa pass? And, Are you really comparing golf games to Brook's community work?

Like I said, if stats are all you desire towards a landmark of players then okay leave him off. But I think his play and his record coupled with his humanitarianism are exactly the type of credentials one would look for in this scenario.

Lincoln accomplished a lot while in office and held the country together but this is getting off point. I don't feel you can put a guy who had 7 starts and only about 1700 yards passing, 350 running and 20 total touchdowns as one of the four greatest quarterbacks in Husker history, even if they were crucial to that one season, just not seeing it.