"Mt. Rushmore" of Husker QBs

Berringer didn't free any slaves and Lincoln sucked at running the option, so these comparisons are like super lame.

Yeah but Lincoln was a Pro Wrestler, I think that weighed in heavily towards his inclusion.

Its pretty simple really. I feel the overall legacy a QB leaves behind should be taken into consideration, Nick does not. If we want to make it simpler we can have two different monuments. One for the most statistically prolific QB's in Husker history and one for any player who made a huge impact on the program and it doesn't have to be limited to QB's.

Which is what I said in my first post.

I guess so, but you didn't get all bent out of shape about his level of play.

Yet we fail to recognize a man that lived to be a Husker, his whole life revolved around being one, was loved like a son by out greatest coach. And we idolize one that quit on the team, had to be begged back to that team and never won a MNC. All about wins and losses unfortunately

Tommie Frazier had to bail Brook Berringer out of the Orange Bowl, otherwise Nebraska would have lost the national championship and you wouldn't have had the screen name Redux. Brook was a second-string quarterback for a reason. He might have started on some other college teams, but contrary to legend he was never NFL material. His legacy is that he died tragically before his time, as do many outstanding young men who don't get elevated to football hero status. It didn't change the culture at Nebraska, just gave us all a deep sadness for a good life cut short. If you know anything about Brook, he wouldn't have wanted his face on a Husker Mount Rushmore at the expense of any of the quarterbacks mentioned. This is where misplaced, maudlin sentiment actually works against the person you're trying to honor.

I didn't want to go there, dude, but you just kept going on.......

• Fire 4

Tommie Frazier had to bail Brook Berringer out of the Orange Bowl, otherwise Nebraska would have lost the national championship and you wouldn't have had the screen name Redux. Brook was a second-string quarterback for a reason. He might have started on some other college teams, but contrary to legend he was never NFL material. His legacy is that he died tragically before his time, as do many outstanding young men who don't get elevated to football hero status. It didn't change the culture at Nebraska, just gave us all a deep sadness for a good life cut short. If you know anything about Brook, he wouldn't have wanted his face on a Husker Mount Rushmore at the expense of any of the quarterbacks mentioned. This is where misplaced, maudlin sentiment actually works against the person you're trying to honor.

high_five_stephen_colbert.gif

I don't think Berringer would be on the mountain but I think you're short-changing Berringer in regards to that Orange Bowl. It was actually Berringer who bailed out Frazier first - throwing for a TD after Tommie went nowhere and threw a pick on his first two possessions. Tommie was a great QB but that was one of his worst games, statistically speaking. He had the one great run (25 yards) but other than that, he carried the ball 6 times for 14 yards and was 3/5 passing for 25 yards and the one pick. Berringer had 16 yards on 7 carries and was 8/15 passing for 81 yards and a TD. Tommie also did a great job pitching on the option which isn't quantified but Berringer had more total yards and better TD/INT stats.

The Pipeline and the Blackshirts won that game.

• Fire 1

Mylanta, you guys are incessant. I really hate having to spell it out over and over.

IF YOU WANT A STATISTIC GLORIFIED MOUNT RUSHMORE OF HUSKER QUARTERBACKS, NO BROOK BERRINGER WOULD NOT BE ON IT, I AGREE WITH THIS

I'm merely pointing to his good nature, better than given credit for on field play, and humanitarianism as a reason I personally would include him. Was that still too subtle?

Tommie Frazier had to bail Brook Berringer out of the Orange Bowl, otherwise Nebraska would have lost the national championship and you wouldn't have had the screen name Redux.....

Sorry but no.

Honestly I'm sorry I even mentioned Brook Berringer in the first place. The fact that he would be the controversial nominee never crossed my mind.

I read the posts- most of them were arguments about Berringer- and few were about the topic. From the names listed, I would guess the posts were made by realtively young people. I think the oldest football player mentioned was Jerry Tagge. Its like Nebraska had no players prior to 1971.

We have had a number of pretty good I-backs like Rozier, Craig, etc. Remember Irving Fryar or Johnny Rodgers? Some people think Wier, Novak, Tinglehoff, McDole, Bob Brown, Dave Rimington, etc were pretty good too.

I read the posts- most of them were arguments about Berringer- and few were about the topic. From the names listed, I would guess the posts were made by realtively young people. I think the oldest football player mentioned was Jerry Tagge. Its like Nebraska had no players prior to 1971.

We have had a number of pretty good I-backs like Rozier, Craig, etc. Remember Irving Fryar or Johnny Rodgers? Some people think Wier, Novak, Tinglehoff, McDole, Bob Brown, Dave Rimington, etc were pretty good too.

Probably because the topic was quarterbacks you would put on Rushmore, not all players........

• Fire 2

Its Tingelhoff ;) I know because he's family lol

As for me,

Tommy Frazier

Jerry Tagge

Turner Gill

Steve Taylor/Eric Crouch

Honorable Mentions: Zac Taylor and Taylor Martinez

The only NU QB with a Heisman Trophy and he is a split at the number 4 spot. People may not agree but I would think Crouch is more qualified then Gill. I wasn't around for Tagge so I won't question a QB with 2 NCG rings & Tommy Frazier also has 2 rings & a long list of accomplishments.

Steve Taylor = Taylor Martinez, but with worse stats & a better record.

Passing Rushing YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT ATT YDS AVG TD 1985 3 6 50.0 38 0 1 14 103 7.4 2 1986 52 124 41.9 808 6 7 130 537 4.1 9 1987 57 123 46.3 902 13 9 130 659 5.1 8 1988 72 151 47.7 1,067 11 7 157 826 5.3 13 Totals 184 404 45.5 2,815 30 25 431 2,125 4.9 32

Passing Rushing YEAR CMP ATT CMP% YDS TD INT RAT ATT YDS AVG TD 2009 Redshirt 2010 116 196 59.2 1,631 10 7 138.8 162 965 6.0 12 2011 162 288 56.3 2,089 13 8 126.5 189 874 4.6 9 2012 228 368 62.0 2,871 23 12 141.6 195 1,019 5.2 10 2013 69 110 62.7 667 10 2 140.0 40 117 2.9 0 Totals 575 962 59.8 7,258 56 29 136.3 586 2,975 5.1 31

Its amazing how much time effects the memory.