IRS/Lois Lerner's email lost

I thought that we were supposed to be outraged over Benghazi? It's weird how the hot scandal of the moment keeps changing. :lol:

Yup. Kinda hard to keep track anymore.

Actually, it's pretty easy to keep track of them. Every time reality rears it's ugly head they'll just shift to the next faux-controversy.

Benghazi! (No evidence of a coverup?) Obamacare! (Oh . . . it's working even better than expected?) Benghazi! (The organizer was captured and will be brought to justice?) IRS/Lerner!

Etc. Etc. Etc. :lol:

Carl, I respect you a lot. You are very smart and thoughtful. Tell me honestly, if these were all GWB 'scandals' would you be saying the same thing? To be honest with you, if the IRS scandal occurred under Bush and there was a crashed hard drive, I would immediately think - Tricky Dick Nixon and the gap in the tapes. Deep down, I don't deny that congress may be on a fishing exhibition but sometimes they get lucky and catch a fish - esp when one like this jumps right into the boat. 1-2 years after the congress requested the info, the IRS reports - opps crashed hard drive. Ah so sorry.

Two things about this.

a) If emails go through, they then are on two different servers. If one hard disc crashes, it doesn't mean the emails are lost forever.

b) I went to a seminar on computer security put on by a member of the FBI. Point made was that you could basically run a disc through a paper shredder or break it into a hundred pieces and they have the technology to put it back together and get the data off of it.

So, I have no clue if Ms, Lerner has anything incriminating against herself or anyone. I have absolutely no clue if the administration ordered targeting of these groups. I have no clue if any of this is a waste of time or not. However, just to throw up our hands and say..."Gosh darn it. The hard drive crashed so we can't get the emails".....is laughable at best.

I agree. Particularly with a).

Regarding b) they should turn the computers in question over to whichever committee is handling the investigation and let them handle the forensics however they see fit.

As far as Lerner herself goes, she has the same Fifth Amendment rights as anyone else. That said, if she is going to take the Fifth in reference to her official activities then she should forfeit any and all government remunerations.

All true

I thought that we were supposed to be outraged over Benghazi? It's weird how the hot scandal of the moment keeps changing. :lol:

Yup. Kinda hard to keep track anymore.

Actually, it's pretty easy to keep track of them. Every time reality rears it's ugly head they'll just shift to the next faux-controversy.

Benghazi! (No evidence of a coverup?) Obamacare! (Oh . . . it's working even better than expected?) Benghazi! (The organizer was captured and will be brought to justice?) IRS/Lerner!

Etc. Etc. Etc. :lol:

1-2 years after the congress requested the info, the IRS reports - opps crashed hard drive. Ah so sorry.

Target! Cease fire, clear and elevate all weapons and return to the start line. No further excuses necessary from those responsible, answer why these emails were not properly backed up and archived.

Carl, I respect you a lot. You are very smart and thoughtful. Tell me honestly, if these were all GWB 'scandals' would you be saying the same thing? To be honest with you, if the IRS scandal occurred under Bush and there was a crashed hard drive, I would immediately think - Tricky Dick Nixon and the gap in the tapes. Deep down, I don't deny that congress may be on a fishing exhibition but sometimes they get lucky and catch a fish - esp when one like this jumps right into the boat. 1-2 years after the congress requested the info, the IRS reports - opps crashed hard drive. Ah so sorry.

Something like this? Something like 22 million emails deleted and hidden in secret non-official accounts? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bush_White_House_email_controversy (If anyone is wondering . . . that, ladies and gentlemen, is what a scandal looks like. Almost quaint.)

There is no IRS scandal until there is evidence that conservative groups were targeted at a rate disproportionate to liberal groups. Simply showing scrutiny of one or the other does not and can not prove anything. The devil is in the details . . . or the context . . . so to speak. Endless repeating "SCANDAL!" on a favored news network does not a scandal make.

• Fire 1

We just captured the dude who masterminded the Benghazi attack, and this is what the biggest news network in America is focused on.

If that doesn't tell you what's what in America, nothing will.

Exactly. The Obama faux-scandals are a one way street where only news that is purportedly bad for Obama can exist.

Edit: Benghazi (BENGHAZI!) was front page news on Fox for YEARS . . . and today?

SK12hBP.png

Two things about this.

a) If emails go through, they then are on two different servers. If one hard disc crashes, it doesn't mean the emails are lost forever.

b) I went to a seminar on computer security put on by a member of the FBI. Point made was that you could basically run a disc through a paper shredder or break it into a hundred pieces and they have the technology to put it back together and get the data off of it.

So, I have no clue if Ms, Lerner has anything incriminating against herself or anyone. I have absolutely no clue if the administration ordered targeting of these groups. I have no clue if any of this is a waste of time or not. However, just to throw up our hands and say..."Gosh darn it. The hard drive crashed so we can't get the emails".....is laughable at best.

I agree. Particularly with a).

Regarding b) they should turn the computers in question over to whichever committee is handling the investigation and let them handle the forensics however they see fit.

As far as Lerner herself goes, she has the same Fifth Amendment rights as anyone else. That said, if she is going to take the Fifth in reference to her official activities then she should forfeit any and all government remunerations.

Agree.

Wait a second, so a bunch of people are upset that the IRS did their job correctly, and now they're pissed because a hard drive failed?

Jesus tittyf*****g Christ, I don't want to be around these idiots when they spill cereal or stub their toe--they're liable to have a brain aneurysm from all the unleashed, misplaced, pent up anger they exhibit.

• Fire 1

Typical HB politics thread. Potential problems within the Obama administration are poo pooed away as "nothing to see here" and focus is redirected by the usual suspects back to the Bush administration. It would be comical if it wasn't so predictable.

I think I've got it figured out finally; as long as Fox News exists and does what they do, nothing in the Obama admin can ever be questioned by anyone, ever. It's like the existence of Fox negates the possibility of Obama ever doing anything wrong, yet it makes anything Bush did all the worse. That is one magic news channel folks.

• Fire 1

Does anyone even want to realize the numbers involved here? The IRS has nearly 90,000 employees. Do you even want to fathom how many emails per day that will end up being? If you have email involved at your work, its safe to think that at a bureaucracy like the IRS you are going to have a crap load more as well.

Now, take into account that with all the endless cost cutting that has been going on, they are operating with very old tech, so yeah, crashing hard drives is a real concern. And it is also unlikely they are going to have built the same level of redundancy into the email archives that they are going to use with actual critical systems. So a hard drive or two failing will result in tens of millions of email archives vanishing.

Is it possible to to the data recovery? Sure. Is it worth the time and tax dollars spent on another witch hunt of the right wing to manufacture outrage with the nitwits watching FauxNews? No.

Typical HB politics thread. Potential problems within the Obama administration are poo pooed away as "nothing to see here" and focus is redirected by the usual suspects back to the Bush administration. It would be comical if it wasn't so predictable.

I think I've got it figured out finally; as long as Fox News exists and does what they do, nothing in the Obama admin can ever be questioned by anyone, ever. It's like the existence of Fox negates the possibility of Obama ever doing anything wrong, yet it makes anything Bush did all the worse. That is one magic news channel folks.

There are real scandals. The VA is one that I've repeatedly tried to keep visible. Others include the NSA and the complete lack of promised transparency.

The problem is that we all acknowledge that they're problems and then there is nothing to argue about.

Hence we're stuck with Benghazi, Bergdahl, Bundy, IRS, Fast and Furious etc. despite the complete lack of incriminating evidence. One side has chanted "scandal! scandal! scandal! smoking gun! smoking gun! smoking gun!" so loudly for and for so long that they've completely lost any mooring based in reality and the other side is left to roll their eyes. Apparently this is more diverting than focusing on real issues. (Note that I'm most definitely including myself in that.)

• Fire 2