SUPREMES STRIKE DOWN POLICE CELLPHONE SNOOPING

Good call, this was just a case where the law hadn't caught up to the technology yet. I'm far from a hard core libertarian on law and order, but with the capabilities of smart phones these days, searching a person's phone after an arrest isn't substantially different from driving to that person's house and seizing and searching their personal computer without a warrant.

• Fire 1

Good call, this was just a case where the law hadn't caught up to the technology yet. I'm far from a hard core libertarian on law and order, but with the capabilities of smart phones these days, searching a person's phone after an arrest isn't substantially different from driving to that person's house and seizing and searching their personal computer without a warrant.

Completely agree, that's basically what we all carry in our hands with these smartphones. It was a no brainer and the way you described it is perfect.

Completely agree, that's basically what we all carry in our hands with these smartphones. It was a no brainer and the way you described it is perfect.

Yup. That's pretty much what they wrote in their opinion:

Modern cell phones are not just another technological convenience. With all they contain and all they may reveal, they hold for many Americans “the privacies of life." The fact that technology now allows an individual to carry such information in his hand does not make the information any less worthy of the protection for which the Founders fought. Our answer to the question of what police must do before searching a cell phone seized incident to an arrest is accordingly simple— get a warrant."

We’ve become a society of cowardly sheeple if you’re scared of some dude walking down the street with a gun.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Perfect response by Carlfense.

Perfect? In what way, exactly? That it's crazy to be scared of a dude with a gun walking down the street, minding his own business? I agree.

BRI,

My method of communication is straight forward honesty. Some here take that as condescending, arrogant, what have you. I assure you that I am none of the above and I ask that you not perceive my comments as such. I’m just not big on flowery prose for the sake of sparing someone’s misperceived notions. I tried quote boxes in my reply but there were too many and it would not allow me to post with that format so my responses will be the italic sections of this post.

Part of an officers job is to investigate things, being suspicious is part of that, being snoopy is part of that, most people don't do these things, so it sends up a yellow/red flag to us and causes us to ask questions. Cops are inherently inquisitive and suspicious, that won't change cause if we were naive to things people would get away with A LOT of crimes. Police are there to protect lives and property, we'll investigate things as far as we can and dig as much as we can to make sure we uphold that expectation from the public we serve.

If I understand you correctly, you’re suspicious of anyone you encounter in the general public while acting in the capacity of an LEO, correct?

It appears as though you place a lot of value on the word “respect.” I place respect very highly on my personal character assessment scale as well but I see the value differently. You then go on to use the word “suspicious” more than once in your response. which thoroughly confuses me.

The definitions of “respect” and “suspicious” are as follows:

Suspicious: having or showing a cautious distrust of someone or something.

Respect: a feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I fail to see how one can be suspicious of another yet respect them at the same time. To me, the two are mutually exclusive and simply could never coexist. How does one reconcile that? To do so is beyond my understanding.

The general public is afraid in this day and age of someone open carrying a weapon, let alone a rifle, with all the active-shooter situation we have blazing across this country at this very moment. So if I pull over a car and the driver's messing around a lot under the seat, his jugular vein is popping out the side of his neck while I'm speaking to him, his sweating profusely, his stuttering, etc., I'm going to start asking some more questions as to what's truly going on here. That's not normal behavior compared to stopping someone and they are just simply irritated with the fact that they were pulled over. So since this isn't normal behavior and since 99% of the cars I pull over roll their window down all the way and speak with me like a normal person, when a situation arises where someone barely rolls their window down it's going to send the wrong message. If anything that could be considered a normal human reaction by the police officer.

That’s a broad brush. I, and most people I know have no qualms with a responsible gun owner. Granted, we live in States with vastly differing gun rights but still, that is not the case from my experience. It may pique my curiosity but I damned sure won’t be running for the phone to dial 911.

Intentionally or not, the rest of what you followed with above isn’t anywhere near what I described of my actions when dealing with LEO and unfairly depicts who I am. I don’t know how you made that leap but, quite honestly, it’s offensive and manipulative of the conversation at hand.

Am I abnormal because I take precautions? If so, I’m cool with that because the proclivity to do so has saved my life more than once.

You do need a permit in Iowa to open carry any firearms, there are two types of permits, non-professional and professional. Professional is typically only issued to law enforcement which allows them to carry anywhere, although federal buildings create some challenges with this from time-to-time. Non-professional permits don't allow those folks to carry in schools, gov't buildings, state parks, etc. How does that officer know what your intentions are? To expect them to know without making contact with you that you are lawfully carrying that weapon is unrealistic. For all we know you're a convicted felon that just decided to go walk around the streets and dare people to stop you and mess with you. You may think Terry Stops are too easily abused, but if we have a legit call to check something else that's what we're there for. We'll go to it, check it out, probably ask for you to identify yourself so we can make sure you aren't a felon and can carry a weapon and then thank you for your time and talk with you briefly about how you support the 2nd amendment. I know, I know, "I don't have to identify myself!" "What crime am I committing?" "Are you arresting me?" It would be in your best interest to identify yourself so we know you are lawfully carrying which, if you truly support the 2nd amendment, should make you proud to be able to prove that. Rock on patriot, I support the 2nd amendment fully! We don't know if you're committing a crime or not, if you're a felon, then you are committing a crime and now you ARE under arrest. Up until that point you're simply being detained because we received a call. We find out you're good-to-go you have a great day and congrats on having the ability to open carry. We have a duty in this situation to ensure that you can carry that weapon and not simply walk away because you don't want to identify yourself. We can agree to disagree on that, I just don't see how refusing to identify yourself truly helps the situation and shows you support the 2nd amendment. Not speaking specifically towards you just generally speaking.

In your AO, I’m cool with this and am encouraged to hear that you enforce your state’s laws fairly. In mine? Not so much but, again, differing states.

Because good stories don't sell newspapers, magazines, generate "hits" on their websites and create negative discussion that will generate further hits rather than positive discussion. It's really as simple as why companies advertise their products the way they do. All it is is a way to advertise and market their product. Take our local news station for example, they are bashing some gubernatorial candidates for speeding on the highways. They bash local cops for some decisions that they've made, decisions that officers have seconds to make and people like them have hours, days and months to tear apart. Two of their news anchors got arrested for OWI within 24 hours of one another. Nothing on ANY of the news stations about that! There truly aren't many "journalists" out there anymore that report the news without their opinions slanting people's opinions or how people should react and that's sad. I'm not saying they have an agenda towards the police, but it behooves them to generate revenue for their business by advertising in this way.

If it bleeds, it leads! I suspect there’s more to it though.

I'm saying why should I have to earn your respect right when I show up? This is the change in this country that is concerning. What ever happened with showing people respect in general? I almost always say "Yes sir, no sir, yes ma'am, no ma'am" to folks on a daily basis. I don't have to like my Chief, but he gets my respect because of his position. It appears you were in the military. Did you not show your superiors respect because of their position alone? Then if they showed you more than just that position did you give them further respect? Because we might as well not even discuss this part if you just simply don't respect people. If folks raise their kids to not respect people they are directly contributing to the problem we're seeing now. I'm saying the divide between police and citizens is getting to a concerning level. Citizens all the time talk about "police state this and police state that" give me a break! I'm not concerned with someone from a government agency coming to my home and kicking my front door down just because. I'm not going to violate someone's rights and oppress them because I wear a badge. That badge doesn't make me the person I am, that badge doesn't get to change the values I was raised on, my parents raised me to be a respectful man with integrity...........period.

And I’m asking; why shouldn’t you or anyone else, for that matter?

You’re confusing my not immediately respecting an individual vs. position/rank/etc. upon first contact (or any time for that matter) as disrespect. That’s not the case. In my world, if one is to be given any amount of respect, one must first earn it.

There is an enormous difference between showing one respect and showing one courtesy, civility and professionalism. I, too, regularly use the terms Mister and Misses. It’s very common in my locale and it was how I was raised. In doing so, I am showing a courtesy. That does not mean I respect one as a person, it simply means that I am acknowledging one in a courteous fashion and a very distinct difference exists between the two.

To me, respect is earned by living one’s life daily with honor, integrity, honesty, bravery, courage, and selflessness. Based upon my definition of respect, how could I possibly give it to you if I’ve never met you?

Yes, I served but anyone in the military whom had my respect, earned it. That’s just the way it is. Just because an individual may have attained a certain rank or position, does not guarantee that they are not a truly worthless individual whom posed a risk to me and my men.

My fear is I'll come across some guy, no offense, somewhat like you that has more extreme views than you. He'll immediately see the badge and think of me as someone who is going to violate his rights or wrong him in some way and he'll force me to make a life or death decision.

You actually actively fear this? All the time?

Explain to me my “extreme” views, as you incorrectly (I’m beginning to wonder) characterize.

I am not extreme; I live by the rights provided by the United States Constitution and the laws of my state.

I know one thing, I'm going home to my boys, if Joe Patriot wants to force me to make that decision that's what I'll do. That sounds harsh, but it's reality, lets not sugar coat it.

And there it is. You just answered why there is a growing divide in this country. There’s much more to it but this is a main contributor.

I’m curious; does your department own an MRAP?

Thank you for taking the time to entertain my questions.

No, our department doesn't own an MRAP, again that comment shows where you're going and coincides with the "police state" mentality. We have a metro SWAT team and a financially well off individual took it upon himself to purchase an armored vehicle for us, not a MRAP, but a Bearcat. This vehicle is used for officer down rescues, hostage rescue, etc., not to "look cool" or "put fear" into the citizens around us.

So I'm supposed to sacrifice my thoughts about going home to my boys because I don't want to offend someone? Obviously I'm simplifying that quite a bit for discussion purposes, but that isn't something I'm willing to do. So as I understand it I should just allow someone to kill me, again simplifying it, because I shouldn't be so cautious? Got it........................I'm cordial and friendly with everyone I meet, but that doesn't mean I don't have a response to an act to harm me or take my life already drawn up in my head when I approach the situation. It's called situational awareness and I will put myself in the tactical advantage.

I'm suspicious of those that display suspicious behavior. I can't explain it anymore, it is what it is. That example wasn't broad, it was fairly specific. Display suspicious behavior and of course we are going to try and dig further.

You may take offense to my observations, read again I never mentioned you, but it was an example of suspicious behavior. If you took offense to it that's on you, I didn't direct that towards you and I don't see how you could take that as being directed towards you when it was clearly an example.

The "extreme" example says not your views, but more extreme views. Don't know how I can make that clearer. Ever heard of posse comatitus? This is what I'm talking about...........I never said your views.

No matter what I say I'll be wrong so you have your opinion and I have mine. I've learned to accept that at this point, no matter how I try to explain it, it's never good enough to most folks. You can't/won't understand unless you do the job.

BRI has this subject on lockdown +1.

I guess I don't understand some peoples tendency to place themselves at odds with LEO's. Why act suspicious, only rolling down your window an inch, etc. when you are stopped? Tells me you've got something to hide or are just acting like a jerk because, well, maybe you're a jerk. I have no concerns about being pulled over (it hasn't happened recently but it has happened plenty of times). I just roll down the window, make sure both my hands are in plain sight as they approach the car, and then treat them with respect. But, I don't have anything to hide......

Personally I can't imagine how nerve racking it must be simply walking up to a vehicle on a routine stop. The thing I can imagine is, that LEO has little idea if you're Joe Normal citizen who appreciates the job he does or Joe Crazyfock Criminal who he might be stumbling upon at the wrong time, in the wrong situation. If you've got sh#t to hide from the police, maybe it's time you change what your doing instead of considering the furthest possible extent of your personal rights.

• Fire 2

We’ve become a society of cowardly sheeple if you’re scared of some dude walking down the street with a gun.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

Perfect? In what way, exactly? That it's crazy to be scared of a dude with a gun walking down the street, minding his own business? I agree.

I believe calling someone a crazy, cowardly, sheeple for being scared, concerned, or worried about seeing some dude walking down the street with a gun is one of the simple minded comments I have read on here. And that says something.

In light of recent public displays of violence involving guns and innocent people, I don't think it is appropriate to shame people into being "tough guys" about your scenario.

Maybe you shouldn't be scared. But if you aren't thinking about what this persons intent with said gun is, then I am afraid you might have an inability to think clearly.

And don't try to justify your comment by using a scenario about a guy going hunting and he is walking out of a Cabela's with his shotgun in his hand. Let's keep it real.

If you were standing in line at a movie theatre minding your own business and you see someone walking through the parking lot with an AR-15 in their hands, neither you nor anyone in that line is sticking around to find out what that person is up to. That's not cowardly sheep. That's being smart and aware of your surroundings.

• Fire 4

eyeswear2allthatsholy

I believe calling someone a crazy, cowardly, sheeple for being scared, concerned, or worried about seeing some dude walking down the street with a gun is one of the simple minded comments I have read on here. And that says something.

In light of recent public displays of violence involving guns and innocent people, I don't think it is appropriate to shame people into being "tough guys" about your scenario.

Maybe you shouldn't be scared. But if you aren't thinking about what this persons intent with said gone is, then I am afraid you might have an inability to think clearly.

And don't try to justify your comment by using a scenario about a guy going hunting and he is walking out of a Cabela's with his shotgun in his hand. Let's keep it real.

If you were standing in line at a movie theatre minding your own business and you see someone walking through the parking lot with an AR-15 in their hands, neither you nor anyone in that line is sticking around to find out what that person is up to. That's not cowardly sheep. That's being smart and aware of your surroundings.

+1, you go girl :thumbs

BRI has this subject on lockdown +1.

I guess I don't understand some peoples tendency to place themselves at odds with LEO's. Why act suspicious, only rolling down your window an inch, etc. when you are stopped? Tells me you've got something to hide or are just acting like a jerk because, well, maybe you're a jerk. I have no concerns about being pulled over (it hasn't happened recently but it has happened plenty of times). I just roll down the window, make sure both my hands are in plain sight as they approach the car, and then treat them with respect. But, I don't have anything to hide......

Personally I can't imagine how nerve racking it must be simply walking up to a vehicle on a routine stop. The thing I can imagine is, that LEO has little idea if you're Joe Normal citizen who appreciates the job he does or Joe Crazyfock Criminal who he might be stumbling upon at the wrong time, in the wrong situation. If you've got sh#t to hide from the police, maybe it's time you change what your doing instead of considering the furthest possible extent of your personal rights.

Amen!

No, our department doesn't own an MRAP, again that comment shows where you're going and coincides with the "police state" mentality. We have a metro SWAT team and a financially well off individual took it upon himself to purchase an armored vehicle for us, not a MRAP, but a Bearcat. This vehicle is used for officer down rescues, hostage rescue, etc., not to "look cool" or "put fear" into the citizens around us.

So I'm supposed to sacrifice my thoughts about going home to my boys because I don't want to offend someone? Obviously I'm simplifying that quite a bit for discussion purposes, but that isn't something I'm willing to do. So as I understand it I should just allow someone to kill me, again simplifying it, because I shouldn't be so cautious? Got it........................I'm cordial and friendly with everyone I meet, but that doesn't mean I don't have a response to an act to harm me or take my life already drawn up in my head when I approach the situation. It's called situational awareness and I will put myself in the tactical advantage.

I'm suspicious of those that display suspicious behavior. I can't explain it anymore, it is what it is. That example wasn't broad, it was fairly specific. Display suspicious behavior and of course we are going to try and dig further.

You may take offense to my observations, read again I never mentioned you, but it was an example of suspicious behavior. If you took offense to it that's on you, I didn't direct that towards you and I don't see how you could take that as being directed towards you when it was clearly an example.

The "extreme" example says not your views, but more extreme views. Don't know how I can make that clearer. Ever heard of posse comatitus? This is what I'm talking about...........I never said your views.

No matter what I say I'll be wrong so you have your opinion and I have mine. I've learned to accept that at this point, no matter how I try to explain it, it's never good enough to most folks. You can't/won't understand unless you do the job.

My apologies for the delay, spent the weekend doing some training. Lots of rounds, good times.

I'm fully aware of what SA is, pretty sure the MIL coined the term.

Here are a few examples as to why there is a growing divide in this country:

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2014/05/06...ises-concerns/

http://www.guns.com/2014/05/09/one-sided-police-shootout-with-377-rounds-fired-raises-questions-video/

LOL, an "O" shaped ambush? Amateur hour. Only dumb luck kepy anyone else from being killed.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152008743725213&set=o.114238542215&type=3&theater

Really? WTF? Get on with your bad self Mr. Coperator. I don't give a s#it what your mission is, that's plain dumb. Gotta play dress up though to look the part, I suppose.

https://statelymcdanielmanor.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/swat-manufacturing-the-justification-to-kill/

This was written by a former LEO

https://pjmedia.com/blog/seventy-one-rounds-in-tucson-the-swat-shooting-of-jose-guerena/

Murdered an innocent man. These guys should be standing trial for murder.

http://thefreethoughtproject.com/police-armed-war-returning-veterans/

Because, VETERANS! ZOMG! Oh, and IEDs. ZOMG! Since when did building IEDs become military training? Rhetorical. It doesn’t happen.

Gotta love this one from SGT Downing: "..and all the guys go home at night, that's the most important thing after all..."

He is a perfect example of the “us vs. them” mentality.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/16/napolitano-stands-rightwing-extremism/?page=all

And it extends all the way up the Fed level.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2643344/Horror-SWAT-team-throw-stun-grenade-toddlers-CRIB-drugs-raid-leaving-coma-severe-burns.html

A 2 year old baby who will now be disfigured for life. All over some f#cking drugs that some POS informant told them he bought there? Why didn’t they sit on the house and observe? They would have known there were children present. Bet he’s gonna have a great opinion of cops when he grows up. a$$hole$.

I don’t need to hear the “well, they shouldn’t have been in a drug house” defense either.

http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/Stanford-lockdown-drill-leads-to-controversy-254808221.html

They didn’t even notify the school. School was in session. Clown shoes.

http://www.emich.edu/cerns/downloads/papers/PoliceStaff/Unsorted/OATH%20&%20ETHICS.pdf

72% said yes they would enforce an unconstitutional law.

28% said they would not enforce an unconstitutional law.

Question 13: Asked if he were ordered to enforce an unconstitutional law would he?

88% answered yes.

12% answered no.

Wow. This country is f#cked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7ZkFZkejv8

She pulled his punk card and he over reacted. Yes, she was an obnoxious b#tch but that doesn’t change anything. He got punked and pulled a dick move.

eyeswear2allthatsholy

The scenario you presented isn't anywhere close to what BRI posted.

The rest of what you posted? Meh, your opinion means nothing to me.