What's the biggest reason for Blacks not advancing

Exactly. I'm wondering if the population density of an area, in addition to poverty level, has an effect on crime. A comparison with other cities worldwide with different demographics would be interesting. I'll note we'd have to look out for differences in drug laws, gun laws, how laws are enforced, what is defined as "crime", etc.

Exactly. I'm wondering if the population density of an area, in addition to poverty level, has an effect on crime. A comparison with other cities worldwide with different demographics would be interesting. I'll note we'd have to look out for differences in drug laws, gun laws, how laws are enforced, what is defined as "crime", etc.

Personally, I would start by looking at murder rates or violent crimes.

Why is this article causing such a stir?

LINK

This is the relevant Vox article about it. Basically, some people feel that serial killers have gotten better character descriptors than Brown did.

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/8/25/6066343/new-york-times-michael-brown-no-angel

I read that and that's why I posted the original article here.

I personally feel this is another reporter or group of people trying to make a stretch about racism. They basically took articles from years ago from different reporters and tried to tie it to this article. To me, that is pretty much irrelevant.

I happen to agree that he was "no angel" and was kind of surprised the article caused such a stir when I read it.

A rural Mississippi man suffered life-threatening injuries and required brain surgery after, his friend said, he entered a Waffle House despite receiving a warning not to enter the restaurant because of the color of his skin.

LINK

Can't we all just get along? /in best Rodney King voice.

Haven't kept up with this thread, but Jon Stewart nailed it in his monologue against Fox News' coverage of the Ferguson events:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUi2A6tUYQk

Here's the thing. Usually, people disagree, especially politically, on methodology rather than ideology. Most people want the same things a lot of the time, but don't agree on how to achieve them.

What's terrible and frightening about racial inequality is we aren't even at the point of disagreeing on methodology; way, way, WAY too many people don't even agree that there is a problem. That is the dilemma. The next dilemma is different camps trying to figure out how to fix it, such as government/civil involvement/whatever, but until the crusty old white heterosexual republican conservative bastion of our country can realize that their rights aren't being taken away, but they are in fact taking others' rights away, no progress is being made.

• Fire 2
  • 2 weeks later...