LJS checks in on our top ten recruiting class.

The over signing the SEC does is unbelievable how it helps them. Yes, it's a numbers game.

So oversigning by 3-4 is unbelievable how much it helps a team - and undersigning by 3-4 is good thing because then more walk-ons can get schollys. Gotcha.

Did he say undersigning is a good thing or are you just building strawmen?

• Fire 2

The over signing the SEC does is unbelievable how it helps them. Yes, it's a numbers game.

So oversigning by 3-4 is unbelievable how much it helps a team - and undersigning by 3-4 is good thing because then more walk-ons can get schollys. Gotcha.

BRB never said anything about undersigning. All he said is that oversigning provides a higher likelihood for finding better recruits. Then you can just throw away the ones who aren't as good. There's more freedom to choose who you want on your team if you have a bigger pool of recruits to choose from.

Bussey has sky-rocketed up the rankings from his camp performances.

Bussey has dropped 25 spots in RB rankings, including sliding 3 spots in the last two weeks.

I guess it's hard to compare apples to apples when there are 4 different services ranking.

But in Rivals he went from unrated to a very high 4 star and is the #2 back in the country, top 80 overall. I see on 247 he is listed as an athlete (which makes 0 sense because he is, has been, projects as a RB by every college coach and team) and may have dropped.

When is the last time 247 has completely re-rated their guys because I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't re-rated everyone in the last few months and he just hasn't made the eventual jump he will eventually get. Very rarely do you see a guy #2 at a position in one service and #61 in another service.

I'm no recruiting guru and I think the whole ranking system is a bit overrated but I really tire of seeing how the big bad SEC over signs and cuts loose the scraps while good ole Nebraska does it the honorable way. I don't like to say it but maybe we can't afford to continue doing it the right way. It sure doesn't seem like doing it the wrong way is having any adverse effects on the LSU's and Bama's of the world. Or, we just being delusional and sour grapes to think we could actually do things the way they do in the SEC? I guess I don't think we would fare much better in the recruiting game even if we started over signing 5+/- players per year.

• Fire 2

Illinois' class this year looks to be at least 30. How does that work under the Big Ten's rules?

CH: You look at it first glance and you think the math is curious, but if you have a number of individuals that are recruited in the total recruiting class of 30 who had enrolled mid-year, had enrolled right now, it could count back against last year's limits. Let's say if you've got 30 and you had three enroll at midyear, you're able to count their scholarships against the 2010-11 academic year, a limit of 25. Let's assume that you have room within the 85 to have 30 [total]; heading into next year, you're looking at 55 returners.

If three that enrolled midyear are able to count against this year's academic limit, that drops it down to 27 and you only oversign by two. When the number gets up to 30, 31 even, what's happening is you've got some included that total of the upcoming class that are already enrolled and are counting in the present academic year's limits.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/23032/the-big-tens-take-on-oversigning-part-i

There are ways to do it in the Big Ten still even with a supposedly strict oversigning rule.

I'm no recruiting guru and I think the whole ranking system is a bit overrated but I really tire of seeing how the big bad SEC over signs and cuts loose the scraps while good ole Nebraska does it the honorable way. I don't like to say it but maybe we can't afford to continue doing it the right way. It sure doesn't seem like doing it the wrong way is having any adverse effects on the LSU's and Bama's of the world. Or, we just being delusional and sour grapes to think we could actually do things the way they do in the SEC? I guess I don't think we would fare much better in the recruiting game even if we started over signing 5+/- players per year.

There is no "right way".

This lie that Nebraska lives above board and always has is a little much. NU probably cuts corners. And they probably do it in more factors than recruiting too. Hell, there were olympic programs cut in the late 90's/early 2000's for this very reason.

Recruiting is always going to be a confusing issue.

No one class makes the difference.

And none should be counted on to make the difference.

I think the coaches have one main focus... and that is to bring in players with solid potential and high upside. We aren't going to be a school that gets a boat load of the guys who can plug and play. We need to develop guys.

A couple of years ago, we witnessed the unfortunate reality of players who had not developed. Through attrition, injury and lack of performance ability, we took a step backward.

Last year was the year of youth, particularly defensively. I think the offense was actually primed for a run had the QB been healthy.

This year has promise because the defense will be more seasoned and deeper. And the QB who was forced into action last year, comes back armed with experience and a great bowl performance and victory.

If the team takes steps in the right direction, these recruiting discussions should vanish quickly even though the realities of recruiting for NU will remain unchanged.

If the team stagnates or steps backward... if the QB doesn't perform and the defense struggles... these recruiting discussions will continue, not because Bo and crew don't recruit four and five star guys, but because the guys that have ended up on the depth chart haven't performed as we all hoped they would.

BRB never said anything about undersigning. All he said is that oversigning provides a higher likelihood for finding better recruits. Then you can just throw away the ones who aren't as good. There's more freedom to choose who you want on your team if you have a bigger pool of recruits to choose from.

I didn't mean to direct that at him specifically - I just find it humorous how this board berates oversigning yet when we go into fall sitting at 77-78 scholly players everyone is ecstatic about how some wide receiver that has 1 reception or a linemen that's never made a start gets a scholly, or a fullback in a fullbackless offense earns one. Before you all scream at me as though I just nailed your little sister - I'm all for the occasional walk-on getting a scholarship, and perfectly happy when one earns one. But Bo has signed more than an entire recruiting class of walk-ons in his first 6 years here. Just like Alabama has oversigned and entire class in their last six years. That means there is a gap of almost 70 scholarships beteween us and Alabama, in just 6 years, and their oversigning is only 50% of that gap. Lets just not pretend the other 50% doesn't matter. Roster management. We struggle with it.

• Fire 1

I didn't mean to direct that at him specifically - I just find it humorous how this board berates oversigning yet when we go into fall sitting at 77-78 scholly players everyone is ecstatic about how some wide receiver that has 1 reception or a linemen that's never made a start gets a scholly, or a fullback in a fullbackless offense earns one. Before you all scream at me as though I just nailed your little sister - I'm all for the occasional walk-on getting a scholarship, and perfectly happy when one earns one. But Bo has signed more than an entire recruiting class of walk-ons in his first 6 years here. Just like Alabama has oversigned and entire class in their last six years. That means there is a gap of almost 70 scholarships beteween us and Alabama, in just 6 years, and their oversigning is only 50% of that gap. Lets just not pretend the other 50% doesn't matter. Roster management. We struggle with it.

How the Gumps manage their roster is just wrong...Period. They oversign and then when it comes time to get to that 85, they place guys on medical hardships or just completely release them for one reason or another. We have done the same but not to the tune of them. Last year, they had to "cut " 12 players in order for them to get to the 85 limit. To say Bo isn't managing the roster very well is just incorrect. He is actually giving scholarships to guys that have earned them through playing and/or busting their ass in practice but will not see the field. The only thing he is probably doing wrong with the roster is that he isn't completely filling out the full 85 limit.

^ and there it is!

He is actually giving scholarships to guys that have earned them through playing and/or busting their ass in practice but will not see the field.

Yes, this is a perfect formula to create a winning team in today's game.

So what your saying is that you would rather be like Bama and the rest of the SEC instead of being ethical and doing right?