All this Tim Beck talk....

Not to mention enhance, we failed to use the running game as a calming influence for a young team that had lost the lead. This is something else about our current offense that i dont like. Our selection of tempo situationally doesnt seem to mesh well with our prsonel. Its like we hit the panic button too fast or somethin. The whole gimmicky scheme just seems to infuse such an influx of panic and tentativeness. So its not so much what we're doing but rather when were doing certain things. It takes a feel for the game and your players.

Some other telling things from that third quarter. As I mentioned, the first 3rd quarter drive featured two runs and six passes. The second drive - one run, one pass and a sack. The third drive - three straight incomplete passes. UCLA had only a three point lead at this point. Following the third drive, they scored another touchdown to make it 31-21.

The fourth drive was actually promising to begin. AA got the ball twice for a net gain of 10 yards and a first. But, the next play TM lost four, then threw a three yard pass, then TM ran for 8 and we finally failed on a fake punt.

That aligns well with what you're saying that we hit the panic button too fast sometimes. We just lost all rhythm.

I'm very certain Mora, by studying all of the film, had a suspicion that Beck didn't have the patience or fortitude to stick with the power run. If they were force to roll up their sleeves and defend power football ALL GAME, their star sudded defense would have been tapping out by the 4th qtr. Instead of throwing lateral passes and running option, there should have been a lot more in between tackle runs with an occasional PA shot downfield. There's no reason why Martinez needed to pass 35 times though. Have the feeling he calls games like he thinks they "should be called" versus how the "need to be called".

Not to mention enhance, we failed to use the running game as a calming influence for a young team that had lost the lead. This is something else about our current offense that i dont like. Our selection of tempo situationally doesnt seem to mesh well with our prsonel. Its like we hit the panic button too fast or somethin. The whole gimmicky scheme just seems to infuse such an influx of panic and tentativeness. So its not so much what we're doing but rather when were doing certain things. It takes a feel for the game and your players.

Some other telling things from that third quarter. As I mentioned, the first 3rd quarter drive featured two runs and six passes. The second drive - one run, one pass and a sack. The third drive - three straight incomplete passes. UCLA had only a three point lead at this point. Following the third drive, they scored another touchdown to make it 31-21.

The fourth drive was actually promising to begin. AA got the ball twice for a net gain of 10 yards and a first. But, the next play TM lost four, then threw a three yard pass, then TM ran for 8 and we finally failed on a fake punt.

That aligns well with what you're saying that we hit the panic button too fast sometimes. We just lost all rhythm.

When Ucla scored to make it 21-17 woulda been a perfect to set the proverbial "reset" button. Almost like start the game over. Give the ball to our backs. Pick up a couple of first downs. Even if we dont score, we sustain a multi- minute drive that can serve as one hell of a calming influence for a defense laden wigh first time starters. SAbd thats what frustrates me about Beck. If what is now multiple casual fans on a message board can see this. Why cant he at 6 figures?
  • Fire 1

The notion that such criticisms of an offensive coordinator is in any way unique to Nebraska football is laughable.

It's every offensive coordinator ever. It is especially the offensive playcallers that get the brunt -- or those perceived to be playcallers. It's by far the most accessible avenue for armchair criticism.

You'd expect a guy in this position to know that this comes with the territory.

All that said, it doesn't make any of the rote chatter of "we need to stop changing what's working", "stop getting too cute", "jack of all trades, master of none is bad", "we should do what we want, not what the defense gives us", "why aren't we running ______", "the offense needs to be simplified", "the problem is this offense has no identity" ... etc ad nauseam, any less inane. Most of the time.

SouthAfricanHusker has an insightful breakdown of our offense here. It'd be awesome if there were more of this and less of the former.

When Ucla scored to make it 21-17 woulda been a perfect to set the proverbial "reset" button. Almost like start the game over. Give the ball to our backs. Pick up a couple of first downs. Even if we dont score, we sustain a multi- minute drive that can serve as one hell of a calming influence for a defense laden wigh first time starters. SAbd thats what frustrates me about Beck. If what is now multiple casual fans on a message board can see this. Why cant he at 6 figures?

Well, I'd hate to say that he doesn't see it. For all the opinions I offer on here, I know Tim Beck knows way more than I do about offenses, coaching and play-calling. It could be any number of things. Perhaps he thought he'd keep UCLA on their toes by coming out passing to start the second half. Maybe he saw something during the game he wanted to exploit. He may have even called a perfect play and our players failed to execute, making it look like a bad play.

It could also very well be a philosophical thing. Beck has said he wants to be balanced and he may strive for that. Like I said, though, using this one game as an example, when AA was getting carries we were getting points. We've got some pretty darn good receivers but until TA proves he can get the ball to them efficiently we have got to rely on AA and the other backs.

Well, I'd hate to say that he doesn't see it. For all the opinions I offer on here, I know Tim Beck knows way more than I do about offenses, coaching and play-calling. It could be any number of things. Perhaps he thought he'd keep UCLA on their toes by coming out passing to start the second half. Maybe he saw something during the game he wanted to exploit. He may have even called a perfect play and our players failed to execute, making it look like a bad play.

It could also very well be a philosophical thing. Beck has said he wants to be balanced and he may strive for that. Like I said, though, using this one game as an example, when AA was getting carries we were getting points. We've got some pretty darn good receivers but until TA proves he can get the ball to them efficiently we have got to rely on AA and the other backs.

I think the mistake many fans make is assuming balanced means 50/50 run/pass ratio, and then start screaming about it, when in fact, it does not.