(2018) SG Aguek Arop [San Diego State- Signed LOI]

Word is we did NOT pull his scholarship but were trying to get him to go to prep school for a year, effectively making him Class of 2018. Not sure if that was an ultimatum or he just didn't like being pushed to do that or what the story is.

Also, reports are that he hasn't actually told the Huskers he's decommitting so not sure where he's at for sure.

Omaha South standout Aguek Arop, Nebraska’s longest-standing men’s basketball commitment, decided Monday afternoon to reopen his recruitment.

South coach Bruce Chubick Sr., told The World-Herald that NU coach Tim Miles asked Arop, a 6-foot-6 senior wing, to spend a postgraduate year at a prep school and then join the Huskers for the 2018-19 season.
After taking a week to consider that, Chubick said, Arop decided not to wait an extra year to begin college.
“He doesn’t need prep school,’’ Chubick said. “I don’t see where Nebraska had a plan for Aguek. But Tim has to do what he has to do.

OWH

This is no great loss as far as talent goes...it might be, I stress might, be a problem with local recruiting growing forward but probably not.

Uh, no. The kid needs to work on his skills, but he's more than athletic enough to play at Nebraska.

Like I said, it is not a great loss. It is not like this kid was a top 50 talent. I agree he is more than athletic enough to play at Nebraska but replaceable for sure.

The problem now is that everyone's boyfriend Miles is starting to look like an ass if this story drags on.

Chubick is on 1620 right now, being very, very honest. Not putting the program on blast, but being very clear that he isn't happy with Miles or Nebraska right now. Says Miles is in "panic mode".

- Mentions how two programs in Omaha have embraced Nebraska kids, and how it's not a coincidence that those programs are on more solid footing than Nebraska is.

- Mentions that while he'll still root for Nebraska and won't prevent Nebraska from recruiting kids from South, but he's done with Nebraska, otherwise.

• Fire 1

This is no great loss as far as talent goes...it might be, I stress might, be a problem with local recruiting growing forward but probably not.

Uh, no. The kid needs to work on his skills, but he's more than athletic enough to play at Nebraska.

Like I said, it is not a great loss. It is not like this kid was a top 50 talent. I agree he is more than athletic enough to play at Nebraska but replaceable for sure.

The problem now is that everyone's boyfriend Miles is starting to look like an ass if this story drags on.

We'll have to agree to disagree, then; I think he can play at this level, as do a lot of people. Plus, let's not put Nebraska Basketball on a pedestal; it's not like they're overflowing with talent to the point where a kid like Arop can't go in and play at some point.

If Miles misses on this decision he won't survive long enough to see how good Arop can be.

Maybe Arop doesn't fit what Miles needs right now, but even if that's the case, it's bad PR. Chubick is "done" with Nebraska, per his comments to Sharp & Benning. Dirk Chatelain is incensed and ranting against this decision. This had better be the right decision. It's a turning point, especially immediately following White's departure.

• Fire 2

We'll have to agree to disagree, then; I think he can play at this level, as do a lot of people. Plus, let's not put Nebraska Basketball on a pedestal; it's not like they're overflowing with talent to the point where a kid like Arop can't go in and play at some point.

Oh no, I totally agree he can play at the D1 level. I am not putting Nebraska Basketball on a pedestal (I think they are horrible and I think Miles is a horrible coach), I am just saying that this particular player is very replaceable. He ability is not make/break. The way this is playing out for Miles is what looks bad.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Mavric changed the title to (2018) SG Aguek Arop [San Diego State Commit]