Favorite forgotten moments from the past few seasons

didn't we have to punt on 4th and goal late in the Virginia Tech game?

Yeah, I don't remember the specifics, but we had the ball in a goal to go situation, had apparently put the game away with a touchdown pass, which was called back by holding....followed by more penalties and I think maybe a sack. How we managed to knock ourselves out of Alex Henery's range, I do not know. That's probably what infuriates me about that game. We had no business at all losing.

Got down to the 6. Two holdings, two false starts, 2 incomplete passes, and a 1 yard run by Zac Lee before we punted from the 37

I forget the receiver, but on that series Lee threw a perfect touchdown pass, receiver has possession in the end zone, rolls out of bounds, drops the ball, jumps up and celebrates. Refs claim he didn't have continuous possession. A correct call but a totally bullsh#t rule. For some reason, anyone rushing the ball and stretching out for the imaginary plane of the goal line can let the ball skitter away once it glances the pylon. But a receiver who catches the ball in the endzone, maintains clear possession, but lets loose the ball after hitting the ground doesn't get the score; incomplete pass. Same call took a touchdown away from the Raiders the week before. Announcers all agree it's a terrible looking call, but it's the rule. That was the touchdown against Va. Tech that got called back. I think it got under the Huskers' skin and resulted in the string of discouraging plays that backed us out of scoring. Zac Lee was 10 of 30 that day, but the offense played well enough to win.

Gotcha. I still don't think a coach would sacrifice the chance for points all in the name of wind direction in the fourth quarter, but that's also why I'm not a coach.

Had to pare the quote tree down a bit, but regarding that 2010 Missouri game:

That was the year (one of the years?) where Bo had different captains every game.

From the Columbia Tribune

There was likely confusion in the stands as there was in the press box when Nebraska senior kicker Adi Kunali trotted onto the field to kick off the second half. Thats because Kunali had also kicked off the first half for the Huskers.

Nebraska Coach Bo Pelini was at first reluctant to explain why his team kicked off to Missouri to start both halves.

That wasnt by choice, he said after the game. I wont say it. Our captains made a little mistake on the coin toss.

It was only when pressed for further explanation that Pelini revealed the details that led to the unusual occurrence. He sent his captains out for the coin toss with instructions to defer if they won. Instead, they told the referee they wanted to kick off to start the first half. That gave Missouri the choice to receive at the start of the second half, which it did.

Trying to find out who the captains for that 2010 Missouri game were (I want to say Kinnie was one, and the one who made the choice), and I noticed something.

Missouri seemed dead in the water in the first half, but scored twice in the Third Quarter to pull to within two TDs, and seemed to have momentum on their side. Their last score (a FG, after we stoned them on 1st & Goal), occurred with 1:35 remaining in the third quarter, and with more than a full quarter to go, it looked like the once-blowout game was going to turn into a nailbiter.

But Nebraska ran six minutes off the clock on their next possession, missed a FG, and the defense forced another Missouri FG attempt, which they also missed.

Nebraska got the ball with 8:40 on the clock and proceeded to run out the rest of the half. A nearly nine-minute drive to ice the game, 12 plays with 11 of them on the ground, then the final four plays to kill the clock. Helu rushed every single run play and gained three first downs in the process, they knew we were going to run the ball, and Roy had already ran for 250 or more yards that game and presumably was pretty tired, but he just ground it out, and we ground Missouri down.

Hell of a way to end a game.

• Fire 2

I'll throw in Abdullah's will to get a first down in last year's NW game, thus keeping the final drive alive and setting up a Hail Mary shot.

Was pretty blown away by that dude (as usual).

I logged in to specifically make sure that play was included in this thread. I think that play showed more heart, guts, determination and will than anything we've seen for quite some time. It got overshadowed, sadly, but the awesome Hail Mary...