And What's the Deal With Injuries?

NUpolo8

we are lean because Nebraska doesn't sign 30 kids a class and cut the non performers, injured players, grayshirt, etc to get down to the 85 by the end of fall camp. is that what you're getting at with these threads? Become more like the SEC?

I think the belief that if you aren't doing it this way, you're clearly cheating is perhaps a little broad.

we are lean because Nebraska doesn't sign 30 kids a class and cut the non performers, injured players, grayshirt, etc to get down to the 85 by the end of fall camp. is that what you're getting at with these threads? Become more like the SEC?

This is being discussed elsewhere, but Nebraska could have signed 30 last year, and still had 3 scholarships available for walkons. would that be cheating? no. we just chose to sign 25 instead.

This is being discussed elsewhere, but Nebraska could have signed 30 last year, and still had 3 scholarships available for walkons. would that be cheating? no. we just chose to sign 25 instead.

Just because we have scholly's to give out doesn't mean we give them to awful or undeserving recruits that the coaches know don't fit or won't play. Which I believe may be what you are referring to, sorta.

Taylor's injuries last year and the O line.....I have no idea.

Pretty sure the accepted theory is Taylor's injury didn't happen on either type of surface. And Spencer Long was injured at Purdue which is a grass surface.

Long had someone fall into his knee, so he would have gotten injured on either surface

My theory.

It's the game of football. Things happen. Does there always have to be a finger pointed at something?

Then if it's so well known that things happen, why does Nebraska run so lean?

Maybe we just notice it more because we're fans? Georgia seemed to be running awfully lean last year by the time we played them. How many college teams do you pay close attention to?

This is it. Plus, we have been fortunate that injuries have occurred where we are good with depth/or at least have a next-man-up.
  • Fire 1

Just because we have scholly's to give out doesn't mean we give them to awful or undeserving recruits that the coaches know don't fit or won't play. Which I believe may be what you are referring to, sorta.

No, I'm referring to the fact that we signed 25 and could have signed 30 and still been under 85. So signing 30 isn't automatically "cheating". And if you think that oversigning by a few is such and advantage for those teams (which is what I'm guessing you were referring to) - join the roster management discussion and give me your opinion on what impact undersigning by double that amount has on NU.

Is this real?

Basketball players get hurt on the same exact surface they play one every single day. Without any contact with anyone, just jumping and landing causes some of the most horrific injuries we have seen.

Kevin Ware.

Paul George.

Those are injuries caused by jumping, on a surface that these players play on every single day. It's not like they practice or play on different types of surfaces. It's the arena style tiled-together wood surfaces (or for practice, wood surface). Granted, they might have different manufacturers and therefore different "bound" and "rebound" qualities. But drastically different than the "turf grass" and "real grass" comparison we are talking about.

It's football. Injuries happen. Just like they do in other sports. Most of these sports injuries happen without contact like football has. I am actually surprised more injuries don't happen in the sport of football.

My theory, it's sports. Basketball players risk their leg bones jumping. Baseball players risk theirs arms throwing (Sammy Sosa was out 3 weeks for sneezing too hard). Tennis players risk their elbows. Any Gramatica risks injuries celebrating a good field goal attempt.

• Fire 2

No, I'm referring to the fact that we signed 25 and could have signed 30 and still been under 85. So signing 30 isn't automatically "cheating". And if you think that oversigning by a few is such and advantage for those teams (which is what I'm guessing you were referring to) - join the roster management discussion and give me your opinion on what impact undersigning by double that amount has on NU.

Isn't there a ncaa and B1G rule against signing more than 25 a year?

Isn't there a ncaa and B1G rule against signing more than 25 a year?

In regards to the B1G - you can oversign by 3 (over the 85 - so 88 total in early February), you just have to document how you go to 85 by the fall. In our case that would be pretty easy to document. 1 went to the MLB, 1 suspended, another showed his dingy to a co-ed, 3 graduated before exhausting their eligibility, 1 is homesick - you get the idea.

The 25 thing came about a while back I think...here's a response on oversigning.com

The Big Ten exception in football is that an institution may oversign by 3. Our rule isn't based on the NCAA limit of 25 initial counters, it's based on the number of scholarships available. Using your example, if an institution has 65 countable scholarships returning, the institution could sign up to 23.

When we approved limited oversigning in 2002, part of the deal was that institutions that did oversign would need to provide "sunshine" to allow for peer review. This reporting includes identifying the individuals who received the offers that created the oversigned situation. In addition, institutions that actually oversign would need to provide a person-by-person accounting for how the institution comes into compliance with the NCAA limit of 85; this includes reporting on not only the new signees, but also the status of each student-athlete who received countable aid in the previous academic year.

Over the years, a few institutions have used the exception to oversign, but what we've seen is that the majority do not use the exception.

http://oversigning.com/testing/index.php/2011/01/25/oversigning-and-the-big-10-conference/

On the NCAA side - the "counters" are easily bypassed because of early enrollees and a boatload of other "workarounds" - the 25 number is a myth IMO.