***OFFICIAL 2014 COLLEGE FOOTBALL DISCUSSION THREAD***

GSG

I chided my best Husker friend for talking about holding whenever we brought up the 93 FSU-NU bowl game, telling him that you can find uncalled holding in every game. The pendulum will swing back next time I see him because the Noline held every play, it was obvious and never called. To be fair they didn't call it on the Irish either but there was much less of it. It's the little things.

And the FSU cornerback who was supposedly blocked, Donald Darby, was committed to grabbing onto the receiver in front of him. He only tried to break the commitment when he saw the ball was going elsewhere. But the refs had been asked to call OPI by Fisher at halftime, so that's the only thing they saw.

It was a well designed play, if the ND receivers could've just made it less obvious and looked like they were running routes rather than blocking it wouldn't have been called and the receiver still would've been pretty open.

Agree. He didn't even try to make it look like anything but a block. If he make contact for a second then at least tries to turn and look at the QB, he probably gets away with it.

I know the call is kind of sour cuz picks and rubs happen ALL THE FRICKIN TIME, and to call it there is just kinda bein a dick for the sake of bein a dick. Like the officials were just suddenly jealous about not having a say in the outcome.

On the other side, it was the correct call, on the most obvious egregious pick by not one, but TWO wide receivers to free up a guy for the score.

Now, the most frustrating thing for Notre Dame fan has to be, if you watch that play, they really didnt need such a devastaing pick. those two receivers coulda just ran their normal slant/drag combo and it woulda still been enough action to free that flat up for a score.

That's just it, though. If you run a proper rub, it's done in a way that it's so borderline it rarely gets called. The risk is worth the reward. When you do what they did, you're going to get flagged almost every time. It's like the difference between the mild line holding you see almost every play and some lineman literally grabbing a guy and dragging him down as he tries to disengage. One is considered borderline and usually not called, the other will get the laundry pretty much every time.