Comments from Idiotic Husker Writer . . .

It was just FAU but, they did have one of the best passing defenses last year. Most of the time Tommy put the ball in position so that if anybody was going to make the play it was going to be the WR not the DB. He did flat out miss a few and make mistakes but, overall the entire team looked great for the first game and it felt different than some of the blowouts of the last few years, especially with Bo saying the presser something along the lines of, "everybody in the locker room knows the season isn't about beating FAU".

I saw a team ready to play, from start to finish.

I would have liked to have seen Ameer and Tommy on the bench earlier, but it is early and possibly need the time to gel.

Not the toughest opponent by any means, but we won the game like we did in the Osborne era. Hope what we saw yesterday continues through the year. The kids played hard the whole game and most of the time I felt they knew what they were doing. That they felt confident. Important step may have been taken.

• Fire 1

In reading various stories, I came across the following idiotic insights from a Nebraska writer:

Derek Johnson, HuskerMax (Yes, it's a minor league publication, but a publication). Here are his stupid remarks:

1. "Nebraska's short-and-efficient practices manifested itself in the Huskers calm-and-cool look, as it was on display in many a college opener this weekend. The on-field product looked a bit lackadaisical (if Nebraska had played Wisconsin this week, they'd have lost), but Pelini usually ramped up the physicality in practice mid-season."

Comment: We'd have lost to a Whisky team that passed for 50 yards? Really? What a doltz.

2. "Ameer Abdullah looks fresher than I expected. I'm not backing off of my prediction that he will miss time this year and he should have had exactly zero carries in the second half, instead of the five he had."

Comment: This moron is proud of the fact that he believes that Ameer will get injured? What a complete moron. Wow, Ameer had an entire "five" carries in the second half. Yeah, that is what you call overworking a guy.

3. "Is 50% passing quarterback the most we can expect from a Nebraska/Tim Beck quarterback? At this point in his career, Armstong shouldn't be booming the ball five yards over open receivers. But if he can improve his accuracy, he's got his running style done pat, and the size necessary to punish defenders."

Comment: This numbskull can't even appreciate the fact that Tommy turned in a great game. Screw the stats. The eye test is what counts. Sabermetrics be damned. Yeah, Tommy missed a few receivers, but not by much. For the most part, his throws were hard and crisp. To be frank in the 27 years since I first started school at UNL (No, I'm not still in school!), I have never seen a QB at NU with a better arm. Also, his leadership was great If this blowhard writer was around when Tommie Frazier was here, he'd be complaining that Frazier's passes don't have any zip on them.

Yesterday was a great day. Yeah, we beat a cream puff, but there was something different about how yesterday transpired. We all know it. I'm not saying that we wrapped up the National Championship yesterday, but it bugs me to no end when so-called "experts" can never find anything good to say.

When coaches and players watch films, they look for places to improve. I think that's a more interesting and useful conversation to have. I'm sure everyone knows that it was a lopsided blowout with some really good performances; that's pretty obvious. Looking for potential weaknesses is what our team and opposing teams are doing.

Ah yes, that "other" place.

I'm not sure what qualifies you as enough of an expert to get your own special column over there.... I guess some people like paying for a site with ads and a posting community more clique-y than a grade school playground.

I don't really get it myself. I sure enjoyed squatting there though while they were all suing each other.

We won, that's all I wanted. Was worried about all the penalties the first two drives, but the kids settled down. Wish the Fla q/b had not gotten hurt. Thought he would have made the D work a little harder.

Have to say I was impressed with the team, haven't seen a first game performance like that in a few years, . Think we are going to have a very good season.

GBR!!!

I thought it was a great game. They won the way a good team should against this type of team. It was better than I had expected and the team looked ready to take on better competition. Some of the third and longs concerned me but I think Beck was experimenting some and with Ameer a 10 yard machine he was able to do that.

Yesterday was a great day. Yeah, we beat a cream puff, but there was something different about how yesterday transpired. We all know it.

I really agree with this. We seemed to have much less confusion and busts on defense than we did early last year and appeared to hit the ground running. This year has the potential to be a much better year. Like others have said, our punt return game needs help and we need to keep limiting turnovers.