If Ameer Abdullah Wins the Heisman, it will be in spite of Beck

...and not because of Beck and his play calling.

We already saw in one of the other threads here where other coaches accused our coordinators of thinking themselves out of wins/games.

Beck did the same thing again today--he went away from the running game and AA, and didn't give his playmakers a chance to succeed.

Having said all of this, Beck is a good OC when he doesn't trip over his own schlong out thinking himself. Isn't there some way we could get someone (an intern, another coach, Kenny Bell?) to shock Beck when he starts getting stupid like this so he'll go back to calling games to utilize his playmakers?

I am fed to the teeth with Beck. It's the same song every year. To this day I have no clue what the identity of his offense is or what it is he thinks he's trying to accomplish.

I wasn't inclined to agree with the identity statement before...but now, I think you're right, and today's game is a case-in-point that an identity needs to be established.

That's just it--when Beck isn't being a stubborn a-hole, he's a good...potentially great OC.

But the lack of identity, and Beck's stubborn propensity for forcing plays that don't work and going away from his playmakers' strengths...that's why we need someone designated to just walk up and smack him in the back of the head when he gets stupid like this.

It'll be in spite of his OL, that's what.

Our line got handled at times today, one-on-one, against a FCS opponent. This should never, ever, ever happen. And as long as it does, how much of a chance do we stand against the best defenses in the country?

Our OL has been a liability relative to the rest of the offense for quite some time. There were signs/hopes it's been getting better, but after today's stunning performance, I'm pretty concerned that it hasn't. Hope it was just one hell of a bad day for a number of guys on the line.

It'll be in spite of his OL, that's what.

Our line got handled at times today, one-on-one, against a FCS opponent. This should never, ever, ever happen. And as long as it does, how much of a chance do we stand against the best defenses in the country?

Our OL has been a liability relative to the rest of the offense for quite some time. There were signs/hopes it's been getting better, but after today's stunning performance, I'm pretty concerned that it hasn't. Hope it was just one hell of a bad day for a number of guys on the line.

Zoogies, I thought about that..but McNSt was sending 7 and 8 at times. I get that this would behoove Beck to go into passing mode...but with Bell out, and Westy being covered well, why not run AA out of the flat and get the ball in his hands?

I am fed to the teeth with Beck. It's the same song every year. To this day I have no clue what the identity of his offense is or what it is he thinks he's trying to accomplish.

I wasn't inclined to agree with the identity statement before...but now, I think you're right, and today's game is a case-in-point that an identity needs to be established.

I kept getting the impression Beck (and Watson) like taking one opponent each season and proving to ourselves? that we can win by just passing...

Maybe by NOT establishing an Identity, they think it gives our future opponents less of a chance to zero in on what to expect..I dunno..just spitballin'

I'm guessing with as much pressure as McNeese State was putting on us and TA throwing that pick 6, Beck got a little gun-shy about calling short pass plays to anybody. We couldn't get anything established offensively today, but I think more runs out of diamond formation could've changed that. Both Cross and Newby can block, and the one run play (that I remember, maybe there were one or two more) we tried from the diamond was a good reminder of that.

He was getting AA into the flat, but Tommy wouldn't give him the damn ball. It was open all game. Tommy wanted to take big shots.

I noticed that too. He passed up on a lot of opportunities to go over the middle and hit an open receiver so he could go for the home run.