Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

some better words might be: excuse, tolerate, accept.

I don't even think those apply. Nobody is accepting the performance on Saturday as..."hey...that was great".

At least I haven't spoke with one fan in person or read one post on here as meaning..."Well, we don't have anything to work on" or "gee, didn't we play a great game on Saturday".

This type of comment is like someone on the political board reading a few posts and all of a sudden labeling someone a bleeding heart liberal or a whacko conservative. It adds nothing to the conversation other than shock value.

i was referring to the 9 wins and no hardware. but, obviously we tolerate performances like we saw on saturday. it wasn't the first.

Replacing both Coordinators wouldn't hurt, though. SOMETHING is not working. If Bo has everything figured out, but it's not matriculating down to the players and the performance on the field, then the problem is in middle management. If Bo doesn't have it figured out, then Eichorst will have to make changes at the top.

But I wouldn't mind seeing a change in coaching, whatever it takes to get the product on the field to replicate what Bo can do as a coach. Or maybe he's in over his head, and he needs to go back to being a D Coordinator somewhere.

still WAY too early for us to say this, but assuming things play out like the last few years and we waddle along to our 4 losses - I would say at a bare minimum the above needs to happen for Bo to keep his job. heck, that's how Bo got his job here in 2003. we'll be in a similar situation. the coaching staff will be proven to have under-performed for multiple years. hard to argue w/ SE demanding a change.

I don't even think those apply. Nobody is accepting the performance on Saturday as..."hey...that was great".

Acceptance doesn't require stating that something was good or great.

Quiet acquiescence is enough. The fact that we're still here arguing about the status quo after 7 years is enough to show acceptance. Apparently this is who we are now. Dwindling applause and mediocre seasons. Go <formerly Big> Red.

• Fire 3

If there was just one thing I would love to never hear or read again from Husker fans is the bolded part in TGs post. Joe is right. NOBODY IS CONTENT WITH 9 WINS AND NO HARDWARE.

Good Lord, I can not figure out why people keep saying that other than they want to say something provocative to make some sort of point.

Content might be the wrong word . . . but the first part is certainly used on the regular to defend Bo.

The amount of wins a coach has is used to defend his employment, color me shocked.

I wouldn't call it shocking. I'd lean more towards indicative of denial.

yeah, and specifically denial of the quality of wins and losses. if all we care about is quantity (i.e. at least 9 wins), bo is getting paid too much.

At least I haven't spoke with one fan in person or read one post on here as meaning..."Well, we don't have anything to work on" or "gee, didn't we play a great game on Saturday".

This type of comment is like someone on the political board reading a few posts and all of a sudden labeling someone a bleeding heart liberal or a whacko conservative. It adds nothing to the conversation other than shock value.

I'm not going to freak out over Saturday - but lets assume it was indicative of where the season is going and we finish just like the last few years. Isn't at that point not advocating for some change the same as accepting the performance on Saturday? I'm not saying fire Bo (but I probably will be by that time) - but we haven't done much of anything to change the coaching (or lack of) on Saturdays in the last couple of years...and you can tell.

If there was just one thing I would love to never hear or read again from Husker fans is the bolded part in TGs post. Joe is right. NOBODY IS CONTENT WITH 9 WINS AND NO HARDWARE. Good Lord, I can not figure out why people keep saying that other than they want to say something provocative to make some sort of point.

Content might be the wrong word . . . but the first part is certainly used on the regular to defend Bo.
The amount of wins a coach has is used to defend his employment, color me shocked.
I wouldn't call it shocking. I'd lean more towards indicative of denial.

Well coaches are often judged by their number of championships, or lack thereof.

The stance that it's ludicrous the coaching staff's jobs are in question is, well, ludicrous.

• Fire 2

The issues that rared up again saturday-lack of effort, caring, taking a team litely, snowball effect, etc,-are all issues that were around long before Beck and Papuchis were named coordinators. The pressing issues are simply engrained cultural ones right now effecting everyone from assistants to incoming true freshman with no prior relationship with the program. Theres a mindset problem that needs addressed and at this point even a Bo backing optimist like myself is having doubts that it can at this point.

But we have 10 regular season games left. I know. I'll see it when I believe it. But we're already boarded the train for this year. Buckle up.

Acceptance doesn't require stating that something was good or great.

Quiet acquiescence is enough. The fact that we're still here arguing about the status quo after 7 years is enough to show acceptance. Apparently this is who we are now. Dwindling applause and mediocre seasons. Go <formerly Big> Red.

So, just because someone doesn't throw a temper tantrum over a game 2 games into the season, that means they are accepting mediocrity? That means we as a fan base are perfectly fine with where we are?

For me, I am not happy with how the team played on Saturday. But, I am holding out final judgement to see how they finish the season. I don't understand why that can't be a reasonable attitude instead of other fans acting like we are some type of combination of ISU and Hawkeye fans.

I am happy (relieved) we won on Saturday. I am happy (relieved) we have won nine games the last 6 years. NOTHING in those statements means I don't expect us to be moving towards something better. I don't know of any fans who are perfectly fine with everything that's happened over the last 6 years and don't wish, expect, dream of even better years.

BUT, for some reason, some fans seem to think they need to act like THEY are some type of superior fan or more knowledgeable fan if we don't come on here and throw a hissy fit after the second game of the year.

• Fire 2

I'm not going to freak out over Saturday - but lets assume it was indicative of where the season is going and we finish just like the last few years. Isn't at that point not advocating for some change the same as accepting the performance on Saturday? I'm not saying fire Bo (but I probably will be by that time) - but we haven't done much of anything to change the coaching (or lack of) on Saturdays in the last couple of years...and you can tell.

Here's where I'm at. And I apologize to some of my sunshine buddies if I'm starting to come of as too negative here again today and lately. I'm just gettin a little itchy.

Settle into a new conference. Check

Upgrade talent. Check

Experience for the upgraded talent. check

continuity on coaching staff. check

Implement Beck's offense. check.

Easier schedules after the gauntlet of the first two years in the BIG. check

I myself of all people am too running out of excuses/reasons. And with the BIG being sooooo bad this year, anything less than a division title at this point is probably a massive massive failure.

• Fire 3

I don't think it is ludicrous that the staff is in question. I think it is ludicrous to need to use fabricated facts and hyperbolic statements to try to support a position.

Fabricated facts and hyperbolic statements aren't necessary. I can send you some game film if you need it . . .

:laughpound

Truly.

Watch the games. They'll make a far more eloquent and convincing argument in favor of a coaching change than I could ever assemble.

• Fire 2

I myself of all people am too running out of excuses/reasons. And with the BIG being sooooo bad this year, anything less than a division title at this point is probably a massive massive failure.

Yup. I'd "accept" a 1-2 loss regular season (close games) and a VERY competitive, fun to watch championship game (Texas 2009). I could see progress with that. I was feeling pretty good after 2009. Wouldn't mind seeing us back there. That would be enough for me.

Bo's managing of the staff has been one of his weakest qualities as HC.

He's had two bright, hard-working coordinators in Watson and Beck. Cue the "too cute/away from what's working/too simple/too complicated" nonsense, but it's true. He's, by turn, not given them what they've needed or wanted for position coaches or allowed them to run their preferred scheme, or both. I mean, where has the "back to Nebraska running roots with running QBs" shift gotten us in four years? Back to a balanced attack and spread passing game.

We have a guy who came in and turned his nose at the OL schemes of one of the most respected OL coaches in the business, telling his linemen to just be aggressive. Now we're back to a zone blocking scheme as Bo had inherited in the first place. In the meantime, this OL coach had to have extensive help brought in to bring him up to speed, and even that didn't work, which resulted finally in him being released promoted to "TE/OL/Run Game Coordinator/Assistant Head Coach", where he now apparently can't keep up with the Kansas passing principles Beck wants to implement.

At this point I expect a lot of people to talk about how we all know defense has been the real problem. I'd like to remind them that we ran out an OC in 2010 and are keen on doing so again in 2014, so us fans haven't been even close to that happy with the offense, either.

I wish Bo had simply let Shawn do his thing with assistants of his choice, and the same for Beck. It looks like we're finally there on the scheme part with Beck, except two of his four assistants are Bo's handpicked guys and maybe not the best fit for Beck's scheme so we can't even go completely there.

At this point Bo's had multiple chances to make staff changes and has made more than a few. Given his track record here I'm not hopeful for a change in approach. The best I can do is hope I'm completely wrong about his judgment and Beck/Cotton/Fisher make the best damn team of Mangino Offense disciples ever assembled.

• Fire 1