Something's Rotten in the State of Nebraska.

NUpolo8

So if I understand this correctly: 1) Teams like UO and MSU would never play a close game to a bad team, 2) except they would, 3) except it doesn't matter because they would still beat NU, 4) so fire the entire staff.

That about sum it up?

This OP is pointless because 1) the staff is not getting fired mid-season under any circumstances (barring gross illegality), 2) the true-believers will never change their minds about Pelini, and 3) NU is 2-0 and it's the first week of September.

I understand the frustration, but I'm sure players- like Abdullah and Mitchell- for example, are much more frustrated than fans are. Better yet, they are actually in a position to do something about it. Better still, they said they would do something about it.

So, I'll stay in wait-and-see mode and hope that the players find it within themselves to do something more than put out another 9-4 season.

• Fire 4

While I agree with largely everything you stated in the original post, I think it's too early to have this discussion. After last week I was tempering expectations from all the kool-aid drinkers around me that is was one game. I'm going to advocate that same position here; however with one caveat, this falls in the same pattern we've seen under Bo Pelini: extreme highs followed by flat play/epic lows.

We are two games into a season, so this could be the writing on the wall game or the scare we need to take the weaker Big 10 by storm. There is enough talent on the roster to compete with anyone on the schedule. Conversely, there's enough historical inconsistencies that it's easy to feel like we are looking down the barrel of a painful season. So before we go full retard on the defend Bo or Fire Bo soap boxes, I'd advocate the wait and see approach. I mean, as painful/upset I was the majority of yesterday. Ameer's TD at the end gave me reason to scream in excitement and jump out of my seat like a crazy person. That's far more enjoyable than speculating the potential demise of the season and a list of potential replacements.

Reasonable post. The only thing I would say is, given that we've seen this movie before, how many times have we taken the conference by storm after the abysmal showing? It drives me mad that you see quotes about how the team wasn't "up" for this game once again. You get 12 damn games per year. 13 if you are decent, 14 if you are pretty good. But you are guaranteed 12, and you can't get excited to play in one of them? Give me a goddamn break. 2014 same as 2013, same as 2012, same as 2011, etc, etc, etc.

• Fire 2

While I agree with largely everything you stated in the original post, I think it's too early to have this discussion. After last week I was tempering expectations from all the kool-aid drinkers around me that is was one game. I'm going to advocate that same position here; however with one caveat, this falls in the same pattern we've seen under Bo Pelini: extreme highs followed by flat play/epic lows.

We are two games into a season, so this could be the writing on the wall game or the scare we need to take the weaker Big 10 by storm. There is enough talent on the roster to compete with anyone on the schedule. Conversely, there's enough historical inconsistencies that it's easy to feel like we are looking down the barrel of a painful season. So before we go full retard on the defend Bo or Fire Bo soap boxes, I'd advocate the wait and see approach. I mean, as painful/upset I was the majority of yesterday. Ameer's TD at the end gave me reason to scream in excitement and jump out of my seat like a crazy person. That's far more enjoyable than speculating the potential demise of the season and a list of potential replacements.

It's not a matter of it being "too early" for the discussion, it's been an unending one for about three years now. And it's not going away until crap like Saturday stops happening and new hardware is in the trophy case, or we are starting over with a new HC.

It's not a matter of it being "too early" for the discussion, it's been an unending one for about three years now. And it's not going away until crap like Saturday stops happening and new hardware is in the trophy case, or we are starting over with a new HC.

I think there's a fair point to be made for that, but it's also important not to say "Oh hell it's all ruined" when we are 2-0 and this conference is winnable.

DiNardo's tweeting right now about Nebraska, thinks the issue is recruiting. I disagree. The talent's there, the stars are less important than the fit. It's coaching and mentality.

Metrics say recruiting is an issue. Want to win a national title, better have top 10 classes. We can't manage to make the top 20 lately. And 5th or worse in the B1G is NOT acceptable.

DiNardo's tweeting right now about Nebraska, thinks the issue is recruiting. I disagree. The talent's there, the stars are less important than the fit. It's coaching and mentality.

Metrics say recruiting is an issue. Want to win a national title, better have top 10 classes. We can't manage to make the top 20 lately. And 5th or worse in the B1G is NOT acceptable.

True, but our first goal should be to win the conference, and with the talent we have, we can. It's possible to jump to national contender quickly, but I doubt that happens with us. Winning the conference will help with recruiting as well.

I'm all for getting the top 10 recruiting classes, however.

I agree with you. Recruiting has nothing to do with barely beating McNeese St. It appeared they were unmotivated and underprepared mentally. That falls on coaching. Seven years and this happens every year. Let's see if they bounce back.

• Fire 1

More importantly, they're two teams that would never allow to happen to them what happened to Nebraska today.

Wtf are you talking about Polo....MSU barely beat Western Michigan 26 to 13....no one expected the Spartans to become so dominating at the end of the season....Cripes....stop posting lame ass comments like this....thought you were a bit better than this....

Actually I think most had MSU winning the Big Ten last year, much to the laughter of this ever knowing board.

And, like I said, that means nothing to the systemic problem currently facing Nebraska. One slip up in one year is not the same of seven years of constant slip ups.

I find it ironic that you use the words "ever knowing board" while you write Mr Polos Opus. Just because a thought comes to mind doesn't make it a necessity to tell other people. You should be a preacher but mostly because when I go to church on Sunday morning after a Husker game I want quiet serenity and then the preacher starts preaching. Im hung over and I got this guy chirping away.. Your post was basically the same drivel you've posted in every thread for months. WE GET IT. You don't like this staff. Some new and original thoughts from you would be as refreshing to me as a coaching change would be to you. Now im not saying you are making some good points usually in other posts. But this post post was to put out fires on everyones arguments they would use to defend their points of view. Your schtick is tired. We get small injections of it in every thread. When someone posts a thread with the intentions of saluting the team for times when they do good things, you cant help but to post more of your tired sh!t. Every board needs guys like you I guess. Good for debate and whatnot. Im over it.

But part of that is recruiting. Recruiting players with the right mental makeup. You have to identify talented and mentally tough players. Kenny Bell is an amazing talent, but his mentality keeps him from being great.

But part of that is recruiting. Recruiting players with the right mental makeup. You have to identify talented and mentally tough players. Kenny Bell is an amazing talent, but his mentality keeps him from being great.

and leadership from the top down is mostly/partly responsible for that mentality.

Mentality is partly innate, but it is also taught. Great coaches can take less-than-desirable mentalities and make them tough and rock solid.

And I don't think it's necessarily any one player's mentality that's the issue, since I don't like to guess at what is in a man's mind, unless it's clear. But I can tell there's a team mentality issue. That goes to coaching.

Don't get me wrong, not saying recruiting is irrelevant. Extremely important. But I think it's not the real issue for Nebraska, at least right now.

and leadership from the top down is mostly/partly responsible for that mentality.

Certainly leadership is important too. There's no single problem with this team. I just find it odd that the players can't get excited to play home game in Memorial Stadium. Is it lack of mental toughness? Is it that Bo has done such an amazing job of painting everything in a "us against he world" mindset that they don't like to play at home?

My goodness, I would think it would be a blast to play a team like McNeese State. A team you know you are better than, stronger than, etc. Just to smash them and have fun doing it. That's the ingredient we seem to be missing, and it plays out most in the trenches. There's no nastiness to the team. No "I want to crush you" mindset. Someone has to just want to physically punish the guy across from them, right?