Nebraska could be Big Ten's best shot

We need to wait until we actually play a ranked team. Getting past Wisconsin and Michigan State would put us in that situation, but now, just because we are 4-0 does not make us a playoff contender by any means. No one knows how good Miami is or isn't, but Michigan State will be the bar.

Normally in this type of situation Nebraska spits the bit. Will they, or have they truly grown. No proof yet, just high hopes, that we all have. But we have not faced anything close to what awaits in East Lansing. We normally play them tough, so always a chance.

Two weeks from today, we will know what we have. I am excited for the team, and certainly hope everything goes as we hope. But way too early to count on anything. That has been proven over and over.

Gotta come out this week and absolutely slaughter Illinois. Foot on throat from start to finish. I want the Spartans trembling at the notion we are coming to their house. Oregon showed where they are vulnerable, we can matchup well if we give it 110%

I agree. We need to not have a let down this week. However, it is possible and even if we don't look extremely crisp this week (and still get the win), it doesn't mean..."OMG...MSU is going to kill us".

I honestly don't think we are a Top 25 team at the moment.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Well, we certainly aren't a top-25 team by most statistical models. We're hovering in the 26-35 range. But pollsters see that a big-name team is undefeated, so they put us in there anyway.

We haven't beaten anyone good. (Miami is down near 45-50 in the models I've seen)

Miami dropped 31 on us with a freshman QB. I don't even want to think about what MSU and Wisconsin might do. I honestly don't think we are a Top 25 team at the moment.

MSU faced one good team and got stomped...but people are scared of them? They are a great match up for NU...No TE...RB that doesn't really catch passes big WR's and a QB that runs worse than I do.

I honestly don't think we are a Top 25 team at the moment.

picard-facepalm.jpg

Well, we certainly aren't a top-25 team by most statistical models. We're hovering in the 26-35 range. But pollsters see that a big-name team is undefeated, so they put us in there anyway.

We haven't beaten anyone good. (Miami is down near 45-50 in the models I've seen)

What is the statistical model you are looking at? Serious question.

Miami dropped 31 on us with a freshman QB. I don't even want to think about what MSU and Wisconsin might do. I honestly don't think we are a Top 25 team at the moment.

MSU faced one good team and got stomped...but people are scared of them? They are a great match up for NU...No TE...RB that doesn't really catch passes big WR's and a QB that runs worse than I do.

We most likely would have won if we didn't have so many damn turnovers last year. Also like the MSU board is pointing out, we racked up a ton of yards on their once in fifty years shutdown defense. They lost half of that D and have been proven they can be exposed. We will score points, just need to reduce turnovers. Is anyone else very impressed with Ameer hanging on to the ball? The only thing was the miscommunication against Miami but got it back. He would have been at two fumbles by now last year. Dude is focused and is out to prove something.

Well, Sagarin has us at 27/28 (predictor is the only one that matters)

Football Outsiders F/+ at 31

Football Outsiders FEI at 29

Football Outsiders S&P+ at 35

This model at 31

so on so forth

should note that sagarin goes untethered after Week 5, so look to see if there's any marked changes after next week.

Let me note that usually I pay more attention to predicative ratings rather than accomplishment-based ones. The AP and Coaches polls are generally heavily skewed towards being accomplishment-based. Nebraska has made it through nonconference with two impressive blowouts and a solid win over a decent/mediocre team at home, and being 4-0 counts for something. Thus, the #19/20 ranking or whatever we're at is absolutely deserved. If you're wanting a true and absolute measure of our strength, it's not that high. Basing our true strength off of what we've done so far is like flipping a coin 10 times, having 7 of them come up tails, and then deciding that tails is better than heads. Doesn't work like that. And stats based on yardage and efficiency have a ton more data to go by than those based on scores alone.

We're still going to be 13.5-point dogs to Michigan state, and probably 11-12 point dogs at Wisconsin. Saturday was fun and everyone is full of enthusiasm, but let's pump the brakes a tad.

Well, Sagarin has us at 27/28 (predictor is the only one that matters)

Football Outsiders F/+ at 31

Football Outsiders FEI at 29

Football Outsiders S&P+ at 35

This model at 31

so on so forth

should note that sagarin goes untethered after Week 5, so look to see if there's any marked changes after next week.

I see. I thought you meant stats as in Total Offense, Defense, etc.

Let me note that usually I pay more attention to predicative ratings rather than accomplishment-based ones. The AP and Coaches polls are generally heavily skewed towards being accomplishment-based. Nebraska has made it through nonconference with two impressive blowouts and a solid win over a decent/mediocre team at home, and being 4-0 counts for something. Thus, the #19/20 ranking or whatever we're at is absolutely deserved. If you're wanting a true and absolute measure of our strength, it's not that high. Basing our true strength off of what we've done so far is like flipping a coin 10 times, having 7 of them come up tails, and then deciding that tails is better than heads. Doesn't work like that. And stats based on yardage and efficiency have a ton more data to go by than those based on scores alone.

We're still going to be 13.5-point dogs to Michigan state, and probably 11-12 point dogs at Wisconsin. Saturday was fun and everyone is full of enthusiasm, but let's pump the brakes a tad.

I think it will be closer. 3.5 to 6 point dog at East Lansing. About the same at Camp Randall and that depends if we play a close one with MSU. If that happens or we win, the Huskers will be 1 1/2 to 3 point dog to Wisconsin.

Huskers will be capable of beating either team as much as they are capable of getting defeated. Should be fun and interesting to see how it plays out.

I truly hope its us and Penn State in the title game with 0 losses.

Ditto. I do NOT want us to have to have a repeat opponent. Hopefully we beat MSU and then Penn State also beats MSU.

That would be great. I am slightly fixated that it will be a 7-1 or 8-0 Ohio State. I think Penn State is doing well but still a year away.

I think it will be closer. 3.5 to 6 point dog at East Lansing. About the same at Camp Randall and that depends if we play a close one with MSU. If that happens or we win, the Huskers will be 1 1/2 to 3 point dog to Wisconsin.

Huskers will be capable of beating either team as much as they are capable of getting defeated. Should be fun and interesting to see how it plays out.

If you're interested on betting, I'll take MSU -6 right now

If we play every game with the fire and intensity we saw Saturday night, we have a chance to run the table in the B1G. Anymore McNeese state sleepers and anyone on the schedule can beat us.

This team in the past has had these big games like Saturday night when they play up to their potential (the OSU comeback, wisconsin comeback the next year...last year was kind of a dropoff year) I still feel like this is the norm. That we will surprise with a solid game when least expected (ie MSU last year), disappoint and lose a game we are favored to and get embarrassed by someone we didn't expect.

Talk is talk until it's backed up. This team still has a lot to prove. We've seen the talent. Will we see the consistency?

If you're interested on betting, I'll take MSU -6 right now

I'm not but let me think about it. Why not give me those two touchdowns / 13.5 like you stated? MSU winning on a last minute TD would not shock me. Nor would the Huskers winning out right.