B1G vs. SEC

Creed

I'm not saying that's what WILL happen, I'm saying this is what's most likely to happen based on how the college football landscape has set itself up going forward. Next year I will evaluate on its own merits, period. I have no dog in the fight. I don't care when my predictions go wrong.

If you are asking what conference has the easiest path to success with the way had NCAA has things set up, I would put it at a tie with the Pac 12 and the SEC.

The playoff helps that some though.

Buster it depends on whether you count sheer volume, or are using a weighted average or a central mean. Obviously a central mean is probably best. The Pac-12 has 6 teams roughly within that range, and if you stretch it a little bit you can include a seventh in Arizona, just like I stretched the SEC a bit to say you can include that 9th team in Texas A&M. But obviously there are only 12 teams in the Pac-12. That's why the margin isn't huge.

I'm obviously not gonna bother to reply to deedsker's stupidity

To me it's pretty clear the Pac 12 is the better conference this year. The SEC didn't hardly beat anyone with a pulse in the OOC. They then spent the rest of the year with the media drooling all over them while they beat up on each other. They then laid a big egg (relative to what the media thought they would do) in the bowl games. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 actually played some good teams in the OOC with their best team beating a top ten team (possibly top 5) and they have a team in the championship game after winning a playoff game.

I think it's laughable that someone would say "well, the Pac 12 is getting closer". Dude, they passed them up.

Was talking to my roommate this weekend about where we would rank the various conferences for this year top to bottom. IMO it goes:

1)PAC-12 - Clear frontrunner

2-3)B1G/SEC - Both seemed to be pretty evenly matched this year, all teams considered.

4)Big 12 - Yes, TCU and Baylor are both elite teams but aside from that, Big 12 is a conference with a whole lot of offense and no defense. No other real standout teams, aside from maybe KSU.

I would agree the the Pac-12 is looking a little better than the SEC, but I don't know that they are the clear front runner. I would also say that SEC would be #2 and I would put B1G #3. I think this bowl season has said a lot about how the SEC is down a little bit from what they have been in the past couple of years. I know that some people want to argue that bowl games don't really matter as much and they don't measure that much, but they measure quite a bit IMO.

PAC-12 has a team in the national championship game and went 6-2 in bowl games this year and 8-4 against P5 non conference opponents. I would say that makes them #1 without a doubt.

I am agreeing that they are #1, but some people are making it sound like they are a long ways in front of the SEC and I just don't agree with that. I think they are slightly better than the SEC at this point. I would unfortunately have to put the SEC at the clear #2 ahead of the B1G though.

SEC: No team in the national championship. 7-5 in bowl games and 6-6 against P5 non conference opponents in regular season

B1G: Team in the national championship. 5-5 in bowl games. 6-11 against P5 non conference opponents in regular season.

I hate the SEC and how they are over-hyped by the media. However, I love seeing most people on the board state how the B1G is really down all season long and then they have a good bowl season and everyone is instantly wanting to say they are better than the SEC. I hate the SEC, but I still wouldn't put the B1G ahead of them as a whole conference right now. All of this is just my honest opinion however and I do respect your opinion as well. I would love to see some good non-conference match-ups next season to help determine where all of the conferences really sit in respect to each other.

Buster it depends on whether you count sheer volume, or are using a weighted average or a central mean. Obviously a central mean is probably best. The Pac-12 has 6 teams roughly within that range, and if you stretch it a little bit you can include a seventh in Arizona, just like I stretched the SEC a bit to say you can include that 9th team in Texas A&M. But obviously there are only 12 teams in the Pac-12. That's why the margin isn't huge.

To me it's pretty clear the Pac 12 is the better conference this year. The SEC didn't hardly beat anyone with a pulse in the OOC. They then spent the rest of the year with the media drooling all over them while they beat up on each other. They then laid a big egg (relative to what the media thought they would do) in the bowl games. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 actually played some good teams in the OOC with their best team beating a top ten team (possibly top 5) and they have a team in the championship game after winning a playoff game.

I think it's laughable that someone would say "well, the Pac 12 is getting closer". Dude, they passed them up.

Was talking to my roommate this weekend about where we would rank the various conferences for this year top to bottom. IMO it goes:

2-3)B1G/SEC - Both seemed to be pretty evenly matched this year, all teams considered.

4)Big 12 - Yes, TCU and Baylor are both elite teams but aside from that, Big 12 is a conference with a whole lot of offense and no defense. No other real standout teams, aside from maybe KSU.

I would agree the the Pac-12 is looking a little better than the SEC, but I don't know that they are the clear front runner. I would also say that SEC would be #2 and I would put B1G #3. I think this bowl season has said a lot about how the SEC is down a little bit from what they have been in the past couple of years. I know that some people want to argue that bowl games don't really matter as much and they don't measure that much, but they measure quite a bit IMO.

PAC-12 has a team in the national championship game and went 6-2 in bowl games this year and 8-4 against P5 non conference opponents. I would say that makes them #1 without a doubt.

I am agreeing that they are #1, but some people are making it sound like they are a long ways in front of the SEC and I just don't agree with that. I think they are slightly better than the SEC at this point. I would unfortunately have to put the SEC at the clear #2 ahead of the B1G though.

SEC: No team in the national championship. 7-5 in bowl games and 6-6 against P5 non conference opponents in regular season

B1G: Team in the national championship. 5-5 in bowl games. 6-11 against P5 non conference opponents in regular season.

I hate the SEC and how they are over-hyped by the media. However, I love seeing most people on the board state how the B1G is really down all season long and then they have a good bowl season and everyone is instantly wanting to say they are better than the SEC. I hate the SEC, but I still wouldn't put the B1G ahead of them as a whole conference right now. All of this is just my honest opinion however and I do respect your opinion as well. I would love to see some good non-conference match-ups next season to help determine where all of the conferences really sit in respect to each other.

I only made the opinion that the PAC-12 is the best conference this year. I just wanted to put the information about the SEC and the B1G out there so that people could judge it for itself.

But if I am to make an opinion, maybe the SEC is a little better than the B1G but I don't feel the divide is very wide.

I only made the opinion that the PAC-12 is the best conference this year. I just wanted to put the information about the SEC and the B1G out there so that people could judge it for itself.

But if I am to make an opinion, maybe the SEC is a little better than the B1G but I don't feel the divide is very wide.

I agree that the PAC-12 is the best conference this year. I also don't think the divide is very wide right now between the SEC and the B1G.

There is actually a very valid reason for that.

The entire strength of the Big Ten was based on maybe three games in the first couple weeks of the season. Wisconsin vs. LSU, MSU vs. Oregon and OSU vs. VTech.

From then on, there is absolutely no data to base any judgement on. All we are doing is playing each other. Well, unfortunately, the Big Ten lost all three of those games. So, the media and fans for months have sat here crying about how horrible the Big Ten is based on three games.

Now, is reality really based just on three games when you have 14 teams playing every week? I think not.

So....fast forward to the bowl season. NOW....we have many more teams playing better competition. Well....interestingly, the Big has done decent.

Just the opposite is true for the SEC. They didn't play hardly anyone in the OOC. Yes, LSU beat Wisconsin and Auburn beat KSU. From then on, the media drooled all over themselves claiming the SEC is king and everyone else is playing for second place.

Well, once again...once those teams actually play more games out of conference against good competition( the bowl season) reality shows its face.

• Fire 2

The last 2 years the SEC is 0-5 and the B1G is 3-1 in the BCS, NY 6 bowl games. For the SEC, these are all games played in the SEC footprint and for the B1G obviously far outside the B1G footprint. Interesting to note, these are the games where the match-ups are set by the bowls, ie the conferences don't decided who plays where.

In other bowls, the B1G's policy is to assign teams w/o knowing the match-up, I think to make sure maximum B1G teams get bowl games. Whereas the SEC policy is to assign teams after the opponent is known. That is why the SEC would not allow A&M to play Texas in a bowl this year.

• Fire 4

Maybe it's not that they are wrong about the SEC, but that they were wrong about the B1G

• Fire 1

Maybe it's not that they are wrong about the SEC, but that they were wrong about the B1G

I think a little of both. SEC is still deep and solid just like the PAC but the SEC still benefits from being SEC SEC SEC. The media crapped on the Big 10 in early Sept but if you look at the games the B1G was really blown out like the media storm that followed. Mich State was up on Oregon in the 3rd then a couple TOs turned the tide. OSU was only down 7 to VT and driving before Barrett threw a pick 6. Wisc was up on LSU by 14 with that awful converted wr QB before Gordon got hurt and didn't play much of the second half. Stave was out, I believe. The next day the media portrayed it as the B1G lost each game by 50.

I think more OOC games need to be played later in the year to really gauge how teams, SOS compare.

• Fire 1

The last 2 years the SEC is 0-5 and the B1G is 3-1 in the BCS, NY 6 bowl games. For the SEC, these are all games played in the SEC footprint and for the B1G obviously far outside the B1G footprint. Interesting to note, these are the games where the match-ups are set by the bowls, ie the conferences don't decided who plays where.

In other bowls, the B1G's policy is to assign teams w/o knowing the match-up, I think to make sure maximum B1G teams get bowl games. Whereas the SEC policy is to assign teams after the opponent is known. That is why the SEC would not allow A&M to play Texas in a bowl this year.

Well the SEC did win the Cotton and Peach bowls last year but hopefully they won't rise 3 spots in the playoff rankings by remaining idle.

That's a very real possibility. I'm not an Ohio State fan, but I really hope they beat Oregon. That would really be a boost to the conference for Ohio State to beat the mighty SEC Crimson Tide and then take down Oregon!

That's a very real possibility. I'm not an Ohio State fan, but I really hope they beat Oregon. That would really be a boost to the conference for Ohio State to beat the mighty SEC Crimson Tide and then take down Oregon!

I hope they beat Oregon too!