B1G vs. SEC

Creed

i just don't get how anyone could say the PAC is not the best conference this year. Non conference to bowl games. Even if tOSU beats Oregon. Top to bottom they have out performed everyone.

This is where I'm at.

Regular Season OOC vs. Power 5:

Pac-12: 8-3

ACC: 9-7

SEC: 5-6

Big XII: 4-6

B1G: 6-11

The regular season numbers can be skewed by mismatched opponents. That is, a good team from one conference playing a bad team from another conference. Still, the Pac-12 was the best by a wide margin.

Bowl Season (so far):

Pac-12: 6-1

SEC: 6-5

Big Ten: 5-5

ACC: 4-7

Big XII: 1-4

Bowl games are not perfect match-ups but they are generally fairly even. And again, the Pac-12 wins by a wide margin.

Combining the two, they are 14-4 (77%). No other conference is above .500.

I was not aware of how well the Pac 12 was doing in the bowls. I think the Pac 12's record in the bowls, along with a berth in the playoffs, is a pretty compelling argument for them being the best conference. Some, not me, might argue that lower number of teams in the bowls means subtracts from that.

I guess arguments could also be made about the quality of the bowl games, though. For example, Alabama lost their bowl, but I think making it to the playoffs and losing in the first round is better than having a team make a low tier bowl and winning. Perhaps others disagree though.

Buster it depends on whether you count sheer volume, or are using a weighted average or a central mean. Obviously a central mean is probably best. The Pac-12 has 6 teams roughly within that range, and if you stretch it a little bit you can include a seventh in Arizona, just like I stretched the SEC a bit to say you can include that 9th team in Texas A&M. But obviously there are only 12 teams in the Pac-12. That's why the margin isn't huge.

I'm obviously not gonna bother to reply to deedsker's stupidity

To me it's pretty clear the Pac 12 is the better conference this year. The SEC didn't hardly beat anyone with a pulse in the OOC. They then spent the rest of the year with the media drooling all over them while they beat up on each other. They then laid a big egg (relative to what the media thought they would do) in the bowl games. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 actually played some good teams in the OOC with their best team beating a top ten team (possibly top 5) and they have a team in the championship game after winning a playoff game.

I think it's laughable that someone would say "well, the Pac 12 is getting closer". Dude, they passed them up.

Buster it depends on whether you count sheer volume, or are using a weighted average or a central mean. Obviously a central mean is probably best. The Pac-12 has 6 teams roughly within that range, and if you stretch it a little bit you can include a seventh in Arizona, just like I stretched the SEC a bit to say you can include that 9th team in Texas A&M. But obviously there are only 12 teams in the Pac-12. That's why the margin isn't huge.

To me it's pretty clear the Pac 12 is the better conference this year. The SEC didn't hardly beat anyone with a pulse in the OOC. They then spent the rest of the year with the media drooling all over them while they beat up on each other. They then laid a big egg (relative to what the media thought they would do) in the bowl games. Meanwhile, the Pac 12 actually played some good teams in the OOC with their best team beating a top ten team (possibly top 5) and they have a team in the championship game after winning a playoff game.

I think it's laughable that someone would say "well, the Pac 12 is getting closer". Dude, they passed them up.

Was talking to my roommate this weekend about where we would rank the various conferences for this year top to bottom. IMO it goes:

1)PAC-12 - Clear frontrunner

2-3)B1G/SEC - Both seemed to be pretty evenly matched this year, all teams considered.

4)Big 12 - Yes, TCU and Baylor are both elite teams but aside from that, Big 12 is a conference with a whole lot of offense and no defense. No other real standout teams, aside from maybe KSU.

• Fire 1

Was talking to my roommate this weekend about where we would rank the various conferences for this year top to bottom. IMO it goes:

2-3)B1G/SEC - Both seemed to be pretty evenly matched this year, all teams considered.

4)Big 12 - Yes, TCU and Baylor are both elite teams but aside from that, Big 12 is a conference with a whole lot of offense and no defense. No other real standout teams, aside from maybe KSU.

I have no problem with your assessment.

I have no problem with your assessment.
Agreed

I would agree the the Pac-12 is looking a little better than the SEC, but I don't know that they are the clear front runner. I would also say that SEC would be #2 and I would put B1G #3. I think this bowl season has said a lot about how the SEC is down a little bit from what they have been in the past couple of years. I know that some people want to argue that bowl games don't really matter as much and they don't measure that much, but they measure quite a bit IMO.

I would agree the the Pac-12 is looking a little better than the SEC, but I don't know that they are the clear front runner. I would also say that SEC would be #2 and I would put B1G #3. I think this bowl season has said a lot about how the SEC is down a little bit from what they have been in the past couple of years. I know that some people want to argue that bowl games don't really matter as much and they don't measure that much, but they measure quite a bit IMO.

PAC-12 has a team in the national championship game and went 6-2 in bowl games this year and 8-4 against P5 non conference opponents. I would say that makes them #1 without a doubt.

• Fire 2

PAC-12 has a team in the national championship game and went 6-2 in bowl games this year and 8-4 against P5 non conference opponents. I would say that makes them #1 without a doubt.

Agreed about PAC-12. You say bowl games matter, which I agree with. The SEC went 2-4 against ranked bowl opponents, the B1G went 3-2. The B1G's top 3 teams (tOSU, MSU, Wisky) all won their bowl games and the SEC's top 3 teams lost their bowl games (Bama, Miss. St. and Ole Miss). If you factor in the regular season on top of that with quality wins for the SEC and B1G comparatively, to say that the SEC is definitely ahead of the B1G, I think you my friend, have been watching too much ESPN.

• Fire 1

I am agreeing that they are #1, but some people are making it sound like they are a long ways in front of the SEC and I just don't agree with that. I think they are slightly better than the SEC at this point. I would unfortunately have to put the SEC at the clear #2 ahead of the B1G though.