It Isn't the 90s Anymore - Or Is It?

NUpolo8

While we are at it, OU has looked pretty good since 2000. Won the conference like 7-8 times, a few BCS bowls and played in the MNC.........The only thing that changes anything is attitude and coaching................

Clemson 3 conference titles, BCS win in five years.

Bama 3 conference titles, 3 MNC's....

Problem is, we haven't been relevant since 2001. Other programs have improved and stayed at the top of their game. they have had disappointments, but righted the ship. NU still struggles with the basics, penalties, TO's, crapping the bed in big games, not picking up MSI stole our snap count.............

yep, times have changes blah, blah, blah................

The kids have to go in fearing no team. Respect sure. Fear? Hell no. We need to quit being in awe and realize this team, after being hamstrung by play calling and stolen snap counts almost beat MSU in their house with 19 unanswered points. Quit pi$$ing yourselves and kick a$$. We have all the talent and athleticism others have. Play like it. Quit moaning, flush the loss and beat every team like they stole something.

Oh and we have to win out to have any hope of the B1G. #believe #winout #respect #revenge #savemyjob

Yea but other schools didnt hire that one guy as their head coach to come in a kill their program.. We did. I think we have and are recovering fine.

The guy that recruited better than any coach since TO in the early 90s? The coach that brought in more NFL talent than Pelini has in 7 years? The coach that gifted Pelini with more defensive talent than he has ever brought in? Yeah he really ruined our program didn't he?

Sounds like an excellent recruiting coordinator.

That's actually an interesting thought. Not here, that would set off a nuclear winter, but if wonder if he would.

I'm actually going to bail on this before this gets locked. If you can't admit that "this isn't the 90's" is a simplistic way to say "stop expecting greatness" then I'm going to stop trying to force water down the horse's throat.

Answering the original topic, Bo better hope he doesn't have to have his team win out to get to the CCG, because I think his job depends on it and I have serious reservations on his and his staff's ability to guide this team unscathed the rest of the way. The talent is there.

Defensively, I think we are getting there. You don't lose Jackson, Rose, Davies, Santos, Alexander, Gregory (2 games) and not have some issues. I think Bo has us moving in the right direction. Offensively, we are no where close to winning the prize. Not enough consistency, ability to adjust to plan B, absence of TE, FB (yea 1 pass against MSU), OL continually getting penalized, no development etc......

Bo has allegedly taken over the D and ST and we are getting better. O is stuck in neutral. A QB, who after 2.5 years i the system still locks on receivers, can't look off a safety and has the inability to reliably and routinely hit receivers in the flats. Great vertical ball (when he makes sure no DB/LB underneath) that Beck finally went to and scored 19 points. Not to mention 3 quarters of knowing and jumping the count before adjustments.........

If we don't win out, Bo might be done. This is as down as the B1G will be. If we don't win out and he lets Beck/Cotton/Garrison go it might save his job........

And it's a complete cop out to say this isn't the 90's and things have changes and schemes are different etc.......Numerous teams have been at or near the top the past 8-10 years.......

I wish it was the 90's! I would still have my sweet Saturn to drive around in AND my B.U.M. Athletic Gear sweatshirts AND my Timberland Boots.

Would that nifty Saturn have an overhead visor with a cool CD case for that new pioneer? Filled with the likes of Alice In Chains, Toadies, REM, STP, 311, The Crow Soundtrack, Bush, Collective Soul, Jane's Addiction, Bob Marley and Cake, while jamming to EMF's "You're unbelievable"? chuckleshuffle

I wish it was the 90's! I would still have my sweet Saturn to drive around in AND my B.U.M. Athletic Gear sweatshirts AND my Timberland Boots.

Would that nifty Saturn have an overhead visor with a cool CD case for that new pioneer? Filled with the likes of Alice In Chains, Toadies, REM, STP, 311, The Crow Soundtrack, Bush, Collective Soul, Jane's Addiction, Bob Marley and Cake, while jamming to EMF's "You're unbelievable"? chuckleshuffle

Oh man! The Crow Soundtrack kind of changed my LIFE!!!

• Fire 1

If we don't win out, Bo might be done. This is as down as the B1G will be. If we don't win out and he lets Beck/Cotton/Garrison go it might save his job........

We just lost to a top 10 team by 5 points in their house. We are 5-1 on the season. Pelini has a winning percentage above .700. The national media isn't even listing him on a "hot seat" list this season.

Did anyone call out someone for being a fair weather fan yet?

Yes, this is not the 90s anymore, wonderful observation. Every top tier team has had its decades where they were down and then shot back up to elite status, it happened to Bama, Oklahoma, Michigan, Florida, Florida St and so on... But, that is no reason to excuse the product that we have seen on the field. The fans, players and coaches should be thriving for the number one spot, if not then what is the point in playing the game?

The problem is that people will live and die by old habits. Bo and company continue to run the same zone read spread offense, why? because "it's a proven system, it works when executed". Fans want more run option like the 90s... (see where I am going with this?) The game of football is always changing and if we do not change with it we will become extinct. Which means we need to throw more to open up the run, change things up on offense every game, keep the opposing defense guessing. Fans need to give up on this "greatest fan" label and start getting loud and rowdy like everyone did during the miami game, that kind of energy feeds the team. We are so wrapped up with "tradition" that it is literally killing our status, for god sakes, we can't even change a snap/clap count.

So yes, we are not living in the 90s anymore. So we need to start acting like we are in the present and look towards the future.

That being said, I will now get off my soap box and dodge incoming criticism

While we are at it, OU has looked pretty good since 2000. Won the conference like 7-8 times, a few BCS bowls and played in the MNC.........The only thing that changes anything is attitude and coaching................

Problem is, we haven't been relevant since 2001. Other programs have improved and stayed at the top of their game. they have had disappointments, but righted the ship. NU still struggles with the basics, penalties, TO's, crapping the bed in big games, not picking up MSI stole our snap count.............

The kids have to go in fearing no team. Respect sure. Fear? Hell no. We need to quit being in awe and realize this team, after being hamstrung by play calling and stolen snap counts almost beat MSU in their house with 19 unanswered points. Quit pi$$ing yourselves and kick a$$. We have all the talent and athleticism others have. Play like it. Quit moaning, flush the loss and beat every team like they stole something.

Oh and we have to win out to have any hope of the B1G. #believe #winout #respect #revenge #savemyjob

Yea but other schools didnt hire that one guy as their head coach to come in a kill their program.. We did. I think we have and are recovering fine.

The guy that recruited better than any coach since TO in the early 90s? The coach that brought in more NFL talent than Pelini has in 7 years? The coach that gifted Pelini with more defensive talent than he has ever brought in? Yeah he really ruined our program didn't he?

That's actually an interesting thought. Not here, that would set off a nuclear winter, but if wonder if he would.

He seems to prefer the NFL, but I agree about it being an interesting thought.

We just lost to a top 10 team by 5 points in their house. We are 5-1 on the season. Pelini has a winning percentage above .700. The national media isn't even listing him on a "hot seat" list this season.

The almost win was great...........As soon as we start getting W's for moral victories I'll agree.

My issue is it's year 7. Have there been improvements? Absolutely. Specifically, IMO, on D and ST. I really think Bo needs to take a good hard look at the offensive side of the ball. If not, his loyalty, IMO, will cost him. Maybe not this year, but in the future. So long as we play 13 games, quite a few cupcakes, I like our chances at 9 wins. I liked the fact on national tv we didn't get blown out, that we almost came back, BUT we still lost and still had a plethora of the same crap we have had for 7 years...... I think Bo has matured greatly this year. He might be (I actually like him) the guy to return us to glory. Unfortunately, the inexperienced staff he has assembled won't....

This staff, allowed MSU to jump the count for 3 quarters. 3 quarters. When Beck finally went vertical (TA's strength) and we changed it up, we scored 19 unanswered points. Great job. I like to think had we caught that quicker (after the 2-3rd time) we win that game. I am a HUGE fan of the run game. Should be our strength, BUT when it stalls (jumping count helped the D) you need to adjust. The whole "viewing 12-18 months of film" to get rid of what doesn't work had to be TM's film. Watching TA work, no way does he regularly hit those routes to the flats in practice and then implodes on game day. The OL was owned against MSU with nothing to try and rotate guys to get a spark. The OL, IIRC, from an Omaha article cost NU 50 yards a game this season. 50 yards a game.................The inability to get 3 points on 3 TO's in MSU territory..........TE's (even prior to Carter injury) non-existent) even though they have proven the D's kryptonite.........

We are a ways off from challenging year in and year out for the B1G. Just my .02 I hope we win out the season and get a fair shot at MSU. I really think we can win. If we win out, I'll post a PLEASE DON'T LEAVE BECK thread in hopes he doesn't leave us after restoring us to glory. I really hope I can make that thread. Don't think I will have to, but ain't to proud to admit if I am wrong.

Paid recruiter position? He could recruit with the best.

He seems to prefer the NFL, but I agree about it being an interesting thought.

I'm actually going to bail on this before this gets locked. If you can't admit that "this isn't the 90's" is a simplistic way to say "stop expecting greatness" then I'm going to stop trying to force water down the horse's throat.

It can be. But it was thoroughly explained otherwise in this case.

So either:

1 - You quit reading after "It's not the 70s or 90s anymore" and don't want to admit it. -or-

2 - You don't care because you couldn't pass up a chance to call other people's opinions "asinine" or "dumb" or contend they have "no reasoning".

• Fire 5