I Just got a Feelin'............

Part of me thinks that the stark, dramatic improvement we've seen on special teams this year (since Bo took over ST duties) could be a microcosm of the improvement he could offer the team overall if he's surrounded with the right supporting cast and improvements.

To that end, I would replace Barney with someone, either a QB coach (preferably) or another very strong OL coach if they're deadset an having two OL coaches, and take a serious look at the S&C regimen, as well as practice schedule we use, in an attempt to keep our actual starters on the field.

Good to hear you're feeling more positive about our chances this year Chaddy. You seemed less optimistic just a few days ago.

IMO...Barney and Els can go somewhere...

Part of me thinks that the stark, dramatic improvement we've seen on special teams this year (since Bo took over ST duties) could be a microcosm of the improvement he could offer the team overall if he's surrounded with the right supporting cast and improvements.

To that end, I would replace Barney with someone, either a QB coach (preferably) or another very strong OL coach if they're deadset an having two OL coaches, and take a serious look at the S&C regimen, as well as practice schedule we use, in an attempt to keep our actual starters on the field.

Good to hear you're feeling more positive about our chances this year Chaddy. You seemed less optimistic just a few days ago.

I don't know if you can necessarily pin the poor LB play on Els. I think they're coming along fine for the msot part. I don't know what Bando's deal is. He is either too heavy to be effective or not getting his assignments quick enough mentally and always a step behind. Likely some combo of both. I think Anderson has been pretty dang salty, Roach has obviously come on in a big way, and Santos was playing really well before he got hurt. Everyone knows losing Rose hurt a lot... but overall I'd say he's doing a solid job. Not irreplaceable by any means, but solid.

Obviously being without Rose and Santos makes me further question on training approach.

Barney can absolutely GTFO though. :D

I am also a bit surprises by the olines blunders because I think Garrison is a solid oline coach...at least thus far...

I guess I feel we could improve on Els, but we could do worse as well. Our LB Coach has been a revolving door for sometime now. Just let him stick to LBs if he stays. Don't bog him down with anything else.

I'm beginning to think that even the greatest units on the greatest teams struggle inevitably. I didn't expect THAT particular level of incompetence from the OL, but I think Sterup's knee played a big role. Makes me question why JG doesn't trust the subs if his bookend OT is struggling that bad.

The important thing for me is that in spite of the absolute hot garbage performance they gave last weekend, I don't believe our OL is quite that bad and expect improvement moving forward.

+100. Bo allegedly took over the D last year and they dramatically improved. This year, forget the game, it appears Bo was calling the D. If so, Paps can go. IF Bo is calling the D. Get a proven DC in to help. Like you said with ST. Cotton said that Bo had taken over the punt team. We are now #1 in FBS with punt returns through 6 games. DPE is like 100 yrs in front of #2. Our return game looks good. IMO, with a solid staff i.e. no Beck, Garrison or Cotton Bo might become the CEO we are looking for or need.

I have said before, some guys are good at the big picture and some are good at a specific task. Bohl as DC, not so good. As HC very good (at least at NDSU). Bo as DC, very good. As HC, getting better, but IMO still dogged by inexperienced staff. Folks are correct he hired them, but Bo unlike the majority of successful coaches had little coaching experience at the collegiate level and never ran a program at any level as HC.

Prior to canning him, I would like to see what he could do with a better staff to include a dedicated QB coach.

I don't know if you can necessarily pin the poor LB play on Els. I think they're coming along fine for the msot part. I don't know what Bando's deal is. He is either too heavy to be effective or not getting his assignments quick enough mentally and always a step behind. Likely some combo of both. I think Anderson has been pretty dang salty, Roach has obviously come on in a big way, and Santos was playing really well before he got hurt. Everyone knows losing Rose hurt a lot... but overall I'd say he's doing a solid job. Not irreplaceable by any means, but solid.

Obviously being without Rose and Santos makes me further question on training approach.

Barney can absolutely GTFO though. :D

Els is a question mark. We have been beset with injuries at the LB and the cupboard was pretty bare in 2012. Bando seems to have the inability to grasp the concept of Bo's D. By the time he reads and then reacts, the play is past him. He plays slow. Loosing Rose and Santos has really hurt us, but our LB's in coverage has been horrible for years save David (Els fault?).

Els has coached special teams and now that Bo is highly active with ST practices...kinda funny how that improves though...and some forget that Fisher started over Lavonte and David didn't get his start until Fisher got injured...not just not a big fan of Els.

Completely forgot the injuries allowed LD to play. Imagine the waste of talent had they never been injured.............

A few of the preseason prognosticators seem to have been correct about our OL. We are a very talented team across the board, but the OL may be our least talented group. It doesn't appear we have an All B1G offensive lineman. Hopefully there is a bright future with talent such as Farmer and Foster.

I agree. However, the OL is probably the best OL we've fielded in the past decade. They may very well be the least talented group

we have, but they aren't near the dumpster fire we've put on the field in years past. People seem to forget just how well

Michigan State corralled Oregon's offense until they got tired.

The three best teams in the B1G are Michigan State, Ohio State, and us. All have strengths and weaknesses. On any given day, one

could beat the other. In the past couple years, I hadn't seen a lot of improvement showing we were headed in the right direction.

This year is different. I'm seeing gradual improvement in all phases of the game. I don't think we make the playoff, but I

don't think there's a team in the B1G that does. It was going to take an undefeated team from the B1G to make it.

That this team could actually win out........and make it to the CCG.........

I had a lot of doubt days after the Mich St loss...but the week has smoothed things over.

I think some crazy things will happen (Tommy will actually start making some sweet short passes, Pierson-El will emerge as a go-to WR) and NEB might have a scare or two (due to the o-line and a few unnecessary turnovers).....but NEB will make it to Indy 11-1.

*This really doesn't deserve it's own topic....but you guys can discuss if ya want.....might as well utilize another thread discussing it.......

I think you are a lot closer to right than the doom and gloomers.