Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

The obsession with the need of a qb coach here is mind boggling.

Why is that? It's not like we've had stellar QB play in the recent history. I'm not necessarily advocating for a QB coach to be hired - but a lot of the things we've lacked in the last few years could have been addressed by a good one. Plugging in freshman QBs without a dedicated coach is a tall order for the OC. Where Tommy ends up in his senior year will be very dependent on the coaching he receives his first few years. I'd see having one on a staff as an investment in our younger QBs future.

Why is that? It's not like we've had stellar QB play in the recent history. I'm not necessarily advocating for a QB coach to be hired - but a lot of the things we've lacked in the last few years could have been addressed by a good one. Plugging in freshman QBs without a dedicated coach is a tall order for the OC. Where Tommy ends up in his senior year will be very dependent on the coaching he receives his first few years. I'd see having one on a staff as an investment in our younger QBs future.

I think the point is it's just something to complain about while ignoring what actually goes on. Beck is the QB coach. Yes, he has more responsibility than the rest of the position coaches but people seem to be assuming he's doing nothing with the QBs while the other position coaches are working with their position groups. Plus we have a GA - who many would like to hire as a QB coach - working exclusively with the QBs. Is he suddenly going to do a significantly better job coaching because his title changes?

But the thing is, what does a qb coach do that an OC in that position doesnt? Technique? Fundementals? Footwork? X's and O's come from the OC anyway. And remember, there is extrememly limited time that coaches can spend with players. Physical attributes are normally developed by the qb on his own time, like Taylor attending summer sessions with Calhoun the past two years. This is really the norm for college quarterbacks and coaching staffs. I think it's been looked up, and maybe I'm wrong, but the number of FBS programs that have an exlusive qb coach assigned is like less than 20, and that most of the upper tier programs do not.

Now, the other thing about this that draws attention is the fact that we've also spent the last four years with an athlete playing qb. A non-natural qb playing qb. And a tremendous athlete and football player he was, he was always lacking on the mechanics side. But before that, Joe Ganz and Zac Taylor, that was some pretty fair qb play, if not good to great at times.

This is a very debatable topic, and yeah, i agree, Barney Cotton's-despite some accomplishments on the recruiting trail here and there-retainment on this staff is a little mind boggling to me, and if his departure or movement to an "administrative position" would open up for a qb coach, fine by me. That'd be great. But we have to be honest with ourselves in asking, that with the limited time coaches already have with the players, how much good would it do while we're trying to perfect offensive schemes and such. Now maybe a qb coach could really help with the x's and o's side of things, like a glorified assistant OC. That'd be fine too.

In ending, my opinion on this matter, and my confusion as to why it seems so obsessed with is becuase we seem to far more pressing issues holding us back than the lack of a position coach of which 75% of other programs also do not use.

• Fire 1

Also, there is a reason why very few colleges have dedicated QB coaches. No, that doesn't mean we can't but you only have so many spots to go around. Very few have one and the ones that do is usually because the head coach is the offensive coordinator.

And I'm not a Barney apologist but he still works with the OLine a lot as well. If we get rid of him to hire a dedicated QB coach, we'll have an OC, QB coach and (possibly) GA working with one position on the field while having one coach and whatever other GAs working with five positions on the field. Those numbers don't make a lot of sense to me.

I think it would be a benefit more in film review, reading defenses the week before a game, etc. Mechanics, footwork, yes - but more the 1-1 time, or with just the position group studying the position and the defenses specifically from the viewpoint of the QB. Decision making has been lacking for some time at that spot, it needs all the help we can throw at it. I'm sure they do a lot of this and I'm not too worried about it. Ganz is obviously there and I'm sure he's doing a fine job - he wasn't there when Martinez was a freshman though. Martinez could have been even better than he was had he had a dedicated coach IMO. We should see that improvement in Tommy in the coming years, but Ganz probably won't be there next year.

Quite frankly, it's really more Barney hate then anything. I've never quite understood it, but whatever.
An uninspired run as OC in 03, and being in charge of an OL that's far from stellar probably hasn't helped. To say nothing of the fact that he's currently coaching a position our current OC calls obsolete has probably led many to believe we could better use his spot. Like with the most important position on the field.

Or, the short version

nebraska-lineman-falls-over.gif?w=1000

I think it would be a benefit more in film review, reading defenses the week before a game, etc. Mechanics, footwork, yes - but more the 1-1 time, or with just the position group studying the position and the defenses specifically from the viewpoint of the QB. Decision making has been lacking for some time at that spot, it needs all the help we can throw at it. I'm sure they do a lot of this and I'm not too worried about it. Ganz is obviously there and I'm sure he's doing a fine job - he wasn't there when Martinez was a freshman though. Martinez could have been even better than he was had he had a dedicated coach IMO. We should see that improvement in Tommy in the coming years, but Ganz probably won't be there next year.

How do you know the film review, reading defenses, group study, etc. are not going on now?

How do you know the film review, reading defenses, group study, etc. are not going on now?

That does go on, every day. On Sunday after a game who do you think Beck sits down with first when looking at film? He sits with the QBs. Who do you think Beck sits down with every day before practice to go over what they are doing for the day and to look at film of yesterday's practice. The QB's are who he meets with.

Quite frankly, it's really more Barney hate then anything. I've never quite understood it, but whatever.
An uninspired run as OC in 03, and being in charge of an OL that's far from stellar probably hasn't helped. To say nothing of the fact that he's currently coaching a position our current OC calls obsolete has probably led many to believe we could better use his spot. Like with the most important position on the field.

Or, the short versionnebraska-lineman-falls-over.gif?w=1000

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm not going to judge him on 1 year as OC with some less than stellar talent. Sure the OL hasn't been great since he's been here, but it seems to me that he's only considered an OL coach when the OL sucks, yet when the OL plays well it's Garrisons doing.