Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

Callahans class the year he was canned would have been a thing of beauty. Basically a NFL QB and a NFL line. Isn't even really an exaggeration either

Did you just call Blaine Gabbert an NFL QB?

He is a terrible nfl level QB.

However in college he was quite good and would have been the best QB NU had had in awhile.

Gabbert could have been a better NFL qb than he was, and almost assuredly would have been an even better college quarterback at Nebraska if we wouldn't have imploded in '07.

He had every skillset you wanted but he was thrown into a crap offensive system with really average coaches that did little to help get the most out of his ability.

• Fire 1

It's because the wallets whom really make the call had already decided on Pelini. Acception pending, it was Bo's job to lose mid-season in 2007 already. It was a combination of circumstances. A defensive guy when our defense was crap and in a span when defensive minded head coaches had been making pretty good hay in college football (my opinion is that this theology has flipped a complete 180) as well as having rallied the team as interim HC in 2003 at the bowl game during a difficult time and having vastly improved the defense then as well. His name was chanted. After just one years time in Lincoln, he had completely won over the Nebraska fanbase. We chanted his name after the bowl game. I think it's safe to say after witnessing first hand his lack of HC experience rear its ugly head at times that Bo Pelini was way more of an emotional selection than a calculated one. Now let's play the revisionist game. If we lay an egg in that 2003 Mich St game and lost 42-7, does Bo's name even come up in 2007?

You got it all wrong, Assassin. Where the location argument falls apart is the fact that Nebraska was an elite program for 40 years.The difference was top tier coaching.

This is one big reason but far from the only reason.

It's the only one that matters, because it's the only thing keeping us from the top now.

It's the biggest reason we were elite all those years and Colorado, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, and Missouri weren't. It's not like we had any automatic advantages over those schools, but we always had better coaches.

I don't see another Tom Osborne or Bob Devany walking through that door any time soon. Even if they do, it won't guarantee championships.
Oh, okay.

So I guess Steve Pederson was misunderstood.

And boom goes the dynamite......
He had the balls to do it just not the plan I guess which isn't good either.

Either way, to point to one of the worst processes in recent memory as "the way it would be if we fired Bo" you're more defeatist about the university's competence then I am.

I was just trying to be funny. In all honesty, I still don't know if Bo is the right coach or not. But I don't think Tom Osborne did a very good job with the search as well.

There was no search.

I think the search that would likely happen if Bo doesn't make it to Indy would put the search that ended with Tim Miles to shame.

So I guess Steve Pederson was misunderstood.

And boom goes the dynamite......
He had the balls to do it just not the plan I guess which isn't good either.

Either way, to point to one of the worst processes in recent memory as "the way it would be if we fired Bo" you're more defeatist about the university's competence then I am.

I was just trying to be funny. In all honesty, I still don't know if Bo is the right coach or not. But I don't think Tom Osborne did a very good job with the search as well.

There was no search.

I think the search that would likely happen if Bo doesn't make it to Indy would put the search that ended with Tim Miles to shame.

I should have written "search"

The Texas Longhorns claim they get the cream that flows from their mythical "Texas pipeline" and Austin is supposedly superior to 99% of other college towns....and they are 30-26 when getting the best of the best recruits. So I guess this five-star recruit infatuation doesn't hold up to scrutiny.

My guess is that the two Mississippi teams have players that have become better than their opponents, through coaching, conditioning, and practice. It's not where one goes or from where one comes, it is what one does when they get there.

I think it's safe to say after witnessing first hand his lack of HC experience rear its ugly head at times that Bo Pelini was way more of an emotional selection than a calculated one.

No doubt.

Now let's play the revisionist game. If we lay an egg in that 2003 Mich St game and lost 42-7, does Bo's name even come up in 2007?

Definitely hard to argue against there being a different mentality. Totally agree, and really interesting points.

After Michigan State's season last year, I started looking at Dantonio. Who really cared about Mark Dantonion seven years ago? Who thought he would have took a team to the Rose Bowl, win it, and go 12-1? I'd argue he's in a small group of the coaching elite at this point (but obviously that's hard to define).

I was pretty inspired by his season last year. I think Bo can be Dantonio. I don't even think he's that far off. I think we're probably one outstanding QB away from doing what MSU did last season, this season (and that is NOT a disparaging Armstrong comment; I like Tommy). Did anybody really see Dantonio's success coming? No way. But he found it.

Bo can find it in the same way too, from consistency (which he has) and consistently improving as a head coach (which he's clearly doing).

There was no search.

That's totally possible, but even if it happened, it's equally if not a little bit moreso possible that whoever we got would still suck worse than Bo.

There was no search.

That's totally possible, but even if it happened, it's equally if not a little bit moreso possible that whoever we got would still suck worse than Bo.

And I'm not as afraid of that as others appear to be.

There was no search.

It was a sh**ty time Polo. Few want to go through that again.

There was no search.

It was a sh**ty time Polo. Few want to go through that again.

Thing is, you don't know it's going to be like that. Like at all. And this isn't much better. Nebraska still gets blown out, still doesn't win anything tangible, and still has a coach who at times appears he'd rather be anywhere but in Lincoon. The only difference is Nebraska is hiding in the Big ten west and getting fat on the purdue's, Illinois,,and FAU's of the world.

So if fear is the only reason to keep Bo, that is no kind of reason.

Can you imagine how toxic Husker message boards would be if we hired another Callahan, or two or three in a row?

This is what we deal with when we lose four games a year and lose conference championship games. Anyone claiming it would be better around here if we tried new coaches, they failed, and we tried again, is fooling themselves. Lose 5/6 games a year, never even sniff a conference championship game, nor a Heisman-worthy player... that would make boards like this unreadable.

• Fire 1

I'd like to see how the season pans out before we say Nebraska still gets blown out and doesn't win anything tangible and start punting. So far, we haven't got blown out and we are still in line to win tangible things. I'm not giving up on the players and/or coach. I see a lot of good in this program.

• Fire 5

I'd like to see how the season pans out before we say Nebraska still gets blown out and doesn't win anything tangible and start punting. So far, we haven't got blown out and we are still in line to win tangible things. I'm not giving up on the players and/or coach. I see a lot of good in this program.

+1.

This has been a hell of a bye week stretch after the MSU game on this forum.