Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

Which hour of talk radio gave you that one?

Oh, I just look at what recent history has shown us, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.

And, the words of former players weigh heavy with me. But, in your defense, it's easier to make ill informed opinions when you're 1500 miles from Lincoln and don't pay attention to those things. It is easier to have a conversion with a former Husker in Omaha than in Cali, so you do have a built in excuse.

Polo and your hero Martinez go out for bold flavors all the time brah.

85 scholarships

No partial qualifiers

Population shift to warm weather

Growth of HS football in Texas/SEC country making it the hot bed of talent

Development of strength and conditioning along with nutrition across the board so Nebraska doesn't have that advantage

All teams are on TV now so a player can play at ISU and still be on TV most weeks

most of what you listed has nothing to do with the NCAA rules. 85? we don't even make it to 85 now, so who are we to bitch? partial qualifiers? applies to 1 kid at most every year, and Bo isn't going to be recruiting those types of guys anyway.

The rest is entirely out of the hands of the NCAA and is nothing more than a changing landscape we as a program have to adapt to. You could also say that 30 years ago most kids were on a plane a handful of times in their life - if ever, flights were expensive as heck, and leaving your home town was something that occurred rarely. No kids are jetting all over the nation for a couple hundred bucks multiple times a year. So the shift, the distance - to me is less relevant today than it was 30 years ago.

I'm not saying it's all NCAA rules based. My original question said "NCAA rules or college football in general".

But, again, to ignore these changes puts your head in the sand. Can it be turned around? CERTAINLY. But, my point is, I believe it's more than just, "Our coach sucks" or "they suck at recruiting". If it were just that, then more teams in the north would be more competitive than they are. We have major programs in this area Neb, OSU, Mich, MSU, PSU, ND...etc. that historically are major power houses. Have all these programs under signed? Have all of them not committed money to recruiting??

No partial qualifiers

Good. This was the over signing of the 90's

Population shift to warm weather

KCH_C "You could also say that 30 years ago most kids were on a plane a handful of times in their life - if ever, flights were expensive as heck, and leaving your home town was something that occurred rarely. No kids are jetting all over the nation for a couple hundred bucks multiple times a year. So the shift, the distance - to me is less relevant today than it was 30 years ago." I agree, getting around is not that hard anymore.

My office is in Houston, I talk a lot of CFB down there, one of our clients engineers is a Husker fan. I asked how that could be since he went to HS and college all in Texas. He told me NU coaches would come down to there summer HS practices and teach Defense. He said it had a profound effect on him, to the level that he would of been recruited to NU he would came. we can make inroads to the South if we put the effort and time into it. It will be slow, once they grab that first guy that makes a difference, those roads would open.

I have asked this multiple times in various forums and never have received an answer. What changes in NCAA rules or in college football in general in the last 30 years has benefited Nebraska?

I can name a number of them that have benefited southern schools or schools close to population hotbeds. I can also name some that have hurt Nebraska.

But, what has happened that has HELPED Nebraska?

Does anyone really care about the rules that help us? We hear every detail about one that doesn't help that's for sure. I know full cost of attendance will help us. An early signing may help us (or could hurt) - but I expect that to come down eventually.

Certainly joining the B1G didn't help us with their recruiting rules, but can't blame that on the NCAA.

Undersigning by 6-7 doesn't help us, but that's our own doing - can't blame that on the NCAA either.

Not forking out the $$ to staff the recruiting department and keep up with the Jones' - again, can't blame that on the NCAA.

I'd say most of the disadvantages we have (minus location) are self inflicted or of our own choosing. You could recruit to Nebraska, maybe not top 5 classes but consistent top 15 classes. I'm fairly confident of that. But when you don't sign to 85, you don't put the $$ or time into it, then you aren't going to get out of it what you want. Simple as that.

This.

• Fire 1

So, let me get this straight. Is someone actually arguing that someone that has had 7,4,6,5,6 losses in the previous years is soooo much better of a coach than someone who has gone 4,4,4,4,4,4.......why exactly???? Because that coach has one less loss this year than the other coach?

What would happen if the two teams played next week?

We'd be playing two football games in the same day?

Oh, I just look at what recent history has shown us, it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure it out.

And, the words of former players weigh heavy with me. But, in your defense, it's easier to make ill informed opinions when you're 1500 miles from Lincoln and don't pay attention to those things. It is easier to have a conversion with a former Husker in Omaha than in Cali, so you do have a built in excuse.

If you're referring to instances where Callahan alienated players, that is still happening. It apparently appears to be the "right" players, and not the wrong ones that BC did.

And California has plenty of former Huskers and alums as well.

If you're referring to instances where Callahan alienated players, that is still happening.

I'll be damned if I'm going to sit idly by and listen to you claim Bill Callahan is still alienating former Huskers, sir. My Second will be in contact with you shortly.

He's a real jerk that way.

So often I hear Nebraska fans use the "geographically disadvantaged" excuse. Starkville and Oxford are just two more examples of places where kids are willing to go, due to the respective programs having excellent coaches and recruiters.

I'm just going to quote this at the end of the thread because it looks like people are being smug because they think they've tricked you into contradicting yourself into saying what you wrote in the OP. Of course, people had to angrily agree with you first.

Mississippi State recruiting under Dan Mullen:

Mississippi State win-loss records under Dan Mullen:

5-7

9-4

7-6

8-5

7-6

Ole Miss recruiting under Hugh Freeze:

Ole Miss win-loss records under Hugh Freeze:

7-6

8-5

Don't let facts get in the way of your delusion.

How many times in that time span did they play teams that ended up being serious contenders for the national championship? I mean, looking at that list of national title winners, it seems like they would have played quite a few. As much as I hate the SEC hype, there are some good teams there that would have decimated NU. I don't know if you're implying that Nebraska would have had a better record in the SEC than these teams or what, but the fact that both of these coaches are doing well in less time than Bo&co. is kind of startling. It could just be that the SEC is way down (and yay if it is!) and we are still living under the impression that they're just so awesome, and the Miss.es aren't all that great. Who knows? I hope we find out and don't see multiple SEC teams in the playoff.

So, my point is that the "facts" aren't what you imply they are-- their records can't be compared straight across to Nebraska's record with NU's weak schedules. Of course, that might be your own delusions allowing you to see them as a simple 1:1 comparison, I don't know. I guess we could just have a civil conversation instead of guessing how the other's delusions are affecting their reading of the data.

My office is in Houston, I talk a lot of CFB down there, one of our clients engineers is a Husker fan. I asked how that could be since he went to HS and college all in Texas. He told me NU coaches would come down to there summer HS practices and teach Defense. He said it had a profound effect on him, to the level that he would of been recruited to NU he would came. we can make inroads to the South if we put the effort and time into it. It will be slow, once they grab that first guy that makes a difference, those roads would open.

We are getting in roads in some areas of the south. One example is the recruits we are getting out of New Orleans.

Just look at what Mississippi State has been as a program, and what their recruiting and win/loss has been like for decades before Dan Mullen.

He's not widely considered a recruiting powerhouse because everyone just forget to look up Rivals rankings. Just being a Top 25 contender was an accomplishment, and I don't think too many people had them being a national title contender in this timeframe. Most likely they're overachieving a little bit, we'll know more at the end of the year.

No partial qualifiers

Good. This was the over signing of the 90's

Sooo....take away our ability to "over sign" but have rules in place so that other schools can do what you say is the same thing?

Personally, I don't see a reason why a kid can't come to Nebraska, attend school and work to become qualified before he participates in the program.

Just look at what Mississippi State has been as a program, and what their recruiting and win/loss has been like for decades before Dan Mullen.

He's not widely considered a recruiting powerhouse because everyone just forget to look up Rivals rankings. Just being a Top 25 contender was an accomplishment, and I don't think too many people had them being a national title contender in this timeframe. Most likely they're overachieving a little bit, we'll know more at the end of the year.

Recruiting rankings before Mullen:

If you're referring to instances where Callahan alienated players, that is still happening. It apparently appears to be the "right" players, and not the wrong ones that BC did.

Yeah,i probably should have thought a little more on that statement, i know there's quite a few former Huskers in Cali.

I also know that not all former Huskers aren't wild about Bo.

But, i wasn't referring to that anyhow. I was referring to how toxic the program was at that time, and how much work it was to change the culture.

Yeah,i probably should have thought a little more on that statement, i know there's quite a few former Huskers in Cali.

I also know that not all former Huskers aren't wild about Bo.

But, i wasn't referring to that anyhow. I was referring to how toxic the program was at that time, and how much work it was to change the culture.

It was extremely toxic and like Bo or not, he has worked to restore it to be not as toxic with everything related to the past.