Ok so... what do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

Wasn't that one top 5 class propped up by numbers? Like 35 in the class or something like that.

Yes.. and something like ten Juco guys. In all reality, half of that class didn't produce on field results or make it to campus. Key starters were Barry Turner, Phillip Dillard, Zackary Bowman, Suh, and the class headliner, Marlon Lucky.

Also, 32 recruits.

Wasn't that one top 5 class propped up by numbers? Like 35 in the class or something like that.

Yes.. and something like ten Juco guys. In all reality, half of that class didn't produce on field results or make it to campus. Key starters were Barry Turner, Phillip Dillard, Zackary Bowman, Suh, and the class headliner, Marlon Lucky.

Also, 32 recruits.

Zac Taylor, Steve Octavien, Zach Potter, Frantz Hardy, Jordan Congdon, Matt Slauson, Matt O'Hanlon, Barry Cryer, Cody Glenn. Overall there was a lot of starters and key contributors from the 2005 class

• Fire 1

There were a lot of recruits, and a lot of JUCOs - frankly, there had to be in those years. Very different situations presented themselves to our last two head coaches when they took the helm.

Callahan's 3rd class was probably results-wise, his strongest (I think that was the year of the Arizona 5) and his 4th class was a cruel, cruel teaser of what was to come until his job security evaporated along with his command of the team.

We have some capable recruiters on this staff, including Bo, and a very good program to sell. If they got after it with the same fervor as the previous staff, I think we'd see some real nationally standout classes every few years, even at Nebraska.

Now that IS an exaggeration :lol:

At best, we don't know how some of those guys would have fared had they instead gone to Nebraska. The OL guys who went to Colorado probably would have done better under the tutelage of one of the game's best. But Callahan's staff wasn't exactly known for developing elite talent.

Anyway, it's more about the recruiting effort with those guys. A highly sought after recruit may or may not pan out, but that has no bearing on what it takes to land them.

See Tim Miles for another example of a guy who is maximizing recruiting out of a much more disadvantageous situation. We can absolutely sell Nebraska football, just need the right guys and the right mindset. I think we have most of the former and are partly there with the latter, though remains to be seen...

Could someone explain why Wisconsin has been so competitive the last 10 years? Population, 5 star athletes, not so many, but they seem to figure out a way to win, make it to championships and play good ball most of the timeOf all the programs, they seem to be the most like Nebraska, yet for the last ten years seem to have caught and left us behind.

A clear identity and mission and a competent coaching staff that recruits to both, then develops the talent.

We will see if it continues under the new coach. It appears Bielema has the ship pointed in the right direction after a pretty bad wreck in Arkansas.

Yep.

Callahans class the year he was canned would have been a thing of beauty. Basically a NFL QB and a NFL line. Isn't even really an exaggeration either

If only he could have translated the talent he recruited into wins. Because, well, that's sort of the point, isn't it?

• Fire 1

Now that IS an exaggeration :lol:At best, we don't know how some of those guys would have fared had they instead gone to Nebraska. The OL guys who went to Colorado probably would have done better under the tutelage of one of the game's best. But Callahan's staff wasn't exactly known for developing elite talent.Anyway, it's more about the recruiting effort with those guys. A highly sought after recruit may or may not pan out, but that has no bearing on what it takes to land them.See Tim Miles for another example of a guy who is maximizing recruiting out of a much more disadvantageous situation. We can absolutely sell Nebraska football, just need the right guys and the right mindset. I think we have most of the former and are partly there with the latter, though remains to be seen...

Blaine would have been an unholy terror in Watson's offense.

What do Starkville and Oxford have that Lincoln doesn't?

1- Currently a better W-L record.

2- A better and more respected conference.

3- Better coaching or at least coaching that can win games of importance.

4- Better players.

5- Closer proximity to much larger numbers of top recruits.

Wbat does Lincoln have that the Mississippis and SEC in general doesn't have?

1- A more impressive twenty year old history from the mid 1990's.

2- I'm guessing the KKK is not still alive and well in Lincoln.

3- That's pretty much it.

I wonder how many other Presidents, Athletic Directors, coaches, players and fans would come to this board and see how much some of you label Nebraska as being in a "disadvantageous situation" and just about puke in their mouthes.

Idk, how many coaches and players have said thanks but no thanks to the golden opportunity to coach and play in Lincoln the past 15 or so years?

2. It wasn't that broken to begin with.

There isn't a shred of truth to this statement, but continue on with your ill informed blather.
Well, it wasnt. Callahan left Bo all them top 5 recruiting classes. All that awesome talent has been sorely mismanaged.
I hope I'm sensing sarcasm in your post.
Unless he realizes most coaches would jump at the chance at a "reclamation project" for a former champion program with a squad that quit on it's bad coach, but was loaded with nfl talent (one of whom a top 3 pick who then gave some of his bonus money back to the program) a year removed from a CCG appearance and new facilities in the queue
Yet history dictates that not many coaches have jumped at that opportunity.

And the damage done prior to 2008 was much, much deeper than a simple 5~7 record. unfortunately you fail to understand that little truth. But you've never let a little thing like the truth get in the way of your tired, played out drivel.

Oh, the internet.

2. It wasn't that broken to begin with.

There isn't a shred of truth to this statement, but continue on with your ill informed blather.
Well, it wasnt. Callahan left Bo all them top 5 recruiting classes. All that awesome talent has been sorely mismanaged.
I hope I'm sensing sarcasm in your post.
Unless he realizes most coaches would jump at the chance at a "reclamation project" for a former champion program with a squad that quit on it's bad coach, but was loaded with nfl talent (one of whom a top 3 pick who then gave some of his bonus money back to the program) a year removed from a CCG appearance and new facilities in the queue
Yet history dictates that not many coaches have jumped at that opportunity.

And the damage done prior to 2008 was much, much deeper than a simple 5~7 record. unfortunately you fail to understand that little truth. But you've never let a little thing like the truth get in the way of your tired, played out drivel.

Oh, the internet.

Which hour of talk radio gave you that one?