Passes in the flat

I want it to be a big part too.

My totally uneducated guess is he rushes the pass too much.

For instance. The screen pass to Ameer was a few yards to far in front of Ameer. If he settles in, turns his body and makes a relaxed toss, he possibly doesn't over throw him.

But, it's like he thinks he needs to get rid of the ball as fast as he can.

If he slows down, it gives his lower body time to get in position.

• Fire 1

For instance. The screen pass to Ameer was a few yards to far in front of Ameer. If he settles in, turns his body and makes a relaxed toss, he possibly doesn't over throw him.

There's no possible way he could have been more patient with that throw. He was a split second away from getting sacked.

Other than that play, he did much better with these passes. They're just not typically big play plays. More of a supplement to the running game, meant to open up other stuff.

• Fire 1

There's no possible way he could have been more patient with that throw. He was a split second away from getting sacked.

Other than that play, he did much better with these passes. They're just not typically big play plays. More of a supplement to the running game, meant to open up other stuff.

Possibly true, I haven't gone back and rematches the game.

In general, I still feel my comments are the problem with most passes in the flats.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily say it's patience he needs. It's more of relaxing. You can relax and still do things quickly and they aren't rushed.

Armstrong's footwork was spotlighted by the announcers and seems to be a work in progress. It's inconsistent and probably the source of his inconsistency with shorter throws.

There was at least one pass to Ameer in the flat last night that was rushed because a pass rusher was bearing down on him and Armstrong had to adjust slightly to avoid contact during his pass. The deep pass to Hovey that was almost picked is another example of this.

There were other throws that should've been easy but were well off target and had me wondering if we should just stop attempting them. He made a few of them at the end of the game, however.

Overall, it wasn't perfect, but it was a step forward for Tommy last night and a performance to build on.

Armstrong's footwork was spotlighted by the announcers and seems to be a work in progress. It's inconsistent and probably the source of his inconsistency with shorter throws.

There was at least one pass to Ameer in the flat last night that was rushed because a pass rusher was bearing down on him and Armstrong had to adjust slightly to avoid contact during his pass. The deep pass to Hovey that was almost picked is another example of this.

There were other throws that should've been easy but were well off target and had me wondering if we should just stop attempting them. He made a few of them at the end of the game, however.

Overall, it wasn't perfect, but it was a step forward for Tommy last night and a performance to build on.

They did a nice job last night showing some if his throws and how he either throws off the back foot or has his feet pointing one way and throws the other. When his mechanics are "on", TA throws a nice ball.

Again, my frustration is year 3 in the system and he still has these mechanical issues.........

• Fire 2

They did a nice job last night showing some if his throws and how he either throws off the back foot or has his feet pointing one way and throws the other. When his mechanics are "on", TA throws a nice ball.

Again, my frustration is year 3 in the system and he still has these mechanical issues.........

That's because he's not a polished pocket passer, nor will he ever be. That's just what he is. Even Braxton Miller under the great Urban Meyer and Tom Herman has average footwork and mechanics.

That's because he's not a polished pocket passer, nor will he ever be. That's just what he is. Even Braxton Miller under the great Urban Meyer and Tom Herman has average footwork and mechanics.

Then there's JT Barrett.

Braxton's Ohio St career is pretty much done.

Then there's JT Barrett.

Braxton's Ohio St career is pretty much done.

Yeah, Barrett is a much better passer, even day 1. Coaches can only do so much with a guy.

I think it's adrenaline. Tommy just can't seem to lob those little 10 to15 yd passes with touch and accuracy.

Whatever it is, I hope he gets it fixed. I hate to think of how many short pass plays we blew against Sparty last week.

It's not like Tommy's passing fundamentals are a total mess, either. Footwork can absolutely be cleaned up and worked on. He's only a sophomore.

Agreed. His mechanics are already better than Taylor's, now he just needs to see the field better. IMO, that's even more important.

I think he's gettin there too. It appears he's throwing to the right guy, it's just a matter of timing and chemistry and making the throw itself.