Can Nate Gerry become an all-league player this year?

O'Hanlon was playing pretty solid by the end of his Husker career. Do you think Gerry is at his ability yet?

Damn I forgot about Matt. Personally I think Nate is probably there, statistically he's behind (O'Hanlon's senior year) but when you think that he's only a sophomore... He just seems to be in the right place at the right time. I'm sure someone can refresh me, but I can't remember him getting beat this year, I'm almost sure it happened a couple times though.

Colorado called it.

Yeah, Nate's stats aren't equal to Matt's senior year stats, like you say. But his ability is. Gerry has a LOT more speed than O'Hanlon. Gerry appears to be a smart player too, like O'Hanlon was. A real ball hawk. I'd say that Nate's upside potential is a lot greater. (Not that I know anything--but that's never stopped me before. lol)

He made a couple nice tackles, another interception and don't think he has been beaten deep as of late.

Thoughts?

Gerry didn't get beat deep against Rutgers but he came off his WR when Nova scrambled in the 1st quarter. The WR caught the pass and then weaves thru the D for the 70 yard pass. Bo was pretty upset when that happened.

Exactly. But he does tend to recover quickly from his mistakes. Against Northwestern, shortly after a ticky-tack personal foul call he intercepted a deep pass. Last week, after leaving his WR to tackle Nova (big mistake) he had an interception later in the game.

I'll say that outside of that mistake, I haven't noticed anything bad. His coverage is pretty good and he's shown some nice ball skills.

I don't really like the Gerry - O'Hanlon comparison. Gerry is a much better athlete, and was a scholarship recruit out of high school. Matt was a solid player, but was a walk-on who thrived more on his knowledge of the defense.

Gerry's upside and potential is much higher than O'Hanlon.

But his ability isn't as high as O'Hanlon's was. yet.

Gerry right now is at about O'Hanlon's level his first few games of 2009. But by the midway point of that year Matt O'Hanlon was a ballhawk and an open-field tackling machine, the best we've had at either skill in a long time. The good news is that Nate has a lot of time left to continue improving.

Agree on Matt understood schemes, tackling angles and concepts at a high level. He was rarely out of position or missed open field tackles. Once Gerry gets there from a mental standpoint, he'll be scary imo.

I don't know if Gerry makes any first team all conference teams, but I definitely see him getting some second team nods. He is playing very well and getting better each week. Malik Collins will also be deserving of post season accolades, but may not get anything more than a 2nd team pick. Though I think he will get the Rutgers coaches pick at DT.

I was thinking of starting a similar thread - glad someone did. Gerry's speed matched with his smarts and new comfort level wt the D are really starting to show. We know he was a sprint champion in SD, we are now seeing how that translates on the field. That was a great interception he had in the NW game and he made a great move in the Rutgers game to get the ball. He tackles well (boy have we missed that the past couple of hears) Yes, he does remind me of O'Hanlon in that both were/are ball hawks - always near the action and not afraid to take and give a good hit. If he keeps improving, we'll be talking about All American status his senior year. Intercept a few more balls and he'll be all Big 10 this year.