Matured Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong set to face Purdue

zoogs

I wonder what tommy is saying after those ints he always seems to be pointing fingers and yelling after

Yeah, I don't like how he seems to immediately yell at the receiver for every INT.

According to Bo both interceptions were in part due to the receivers running the wrong routes.

TA ran the ball well. Not a good day passing. Was so bad that at one point I wished they put in Stryder Pife.

After today's performance I'm starting to see why he throws every pass so hard. The defenders have trouble catching them point blank.

I too liked what he did running the ball today, I wish they would have him run it more

TA ran the ball well. Not a good day passing. Was so bad that at one point I wished they put in Stryder Pife.

After today's performance I'm starting to see why he throws every pass so hard. The defenders have trouble catching them point blank.

I too liked what he did running the ball today, I wish they would have him run it more

We can't have a QB that is only good at running the ball though. We had that with Martinez for 4 years, and we had a hard time winning the Big games. We need a QB that can pass consistently well, and if he can run on top of that, all the more better.

I wonder what tommy is saying after those ints he always seems to be pointing fingers and yelling after

Yeah, I don't like how he seems to immediately yell at the receiver for every INT.

According to Bo both interceptions were in part due to the receivers running the wrong routes.

I was pissed at TA during the game but after watching the INTs again, I think Bo was right on both counts. Receiver didn't seem to run the right route

We can't have a QB that is only good at running the ball though. We had that with Martinez for 4 years, and we had a hard time winning the Big games. We need a QB that can pass consistently well, and if he can run on top of that, all the more better.

Beck needs to see what passing routes he can consistently hit and throw those. Limit the route trees. Give him 2 reads tops and then dump to the outlet. I have said again and again, if the primary is Westy (lined up wide rt) hike and look to the left. As much as he locks in, with 18 games of film, the LB and safeties will jump that route. THEN look and find Westy for 6. Its not hard. look left and throw right.........TA seems to throw better to the middle of the field. Again, allow the use of he TE. Beck needs to realize that they are eligible to catch passes. Have the TE chip block the DE or LB. We have never done this so the LB(once or twice) won't even go with the TE. East throw to the middle. This allow for an easy toss and catch and will eventually force the LB's to hold and not crash the box. Again, simple Yet the $750k man can't figure this sh!t out. Lastly, with our "option routes", they don't friggin work Beck. Seldom are the WR and TA on the same page. Limit the mistakes, by saying this is the route. Period.

When TA did the QB draw, I called for it. It happened. If I can see crap working and opening up on tv (with arm chair experience), why the hell can't Beck......He eventually called it, but after it had been open. He can't see the forest through the trees.

• Fire 1

Pretty common theme both last week and this week. When we're running-WHETHER IT'S SUCCESSFUL OR NOT-Tommy is very efficient and good off play action. When Beck tries to flip his switch into Brady mode, it goes to sh#t-FAST. This was my gripe last week that so many bitched at me for. WATCH THE GAMES. Watch the drives we score, and the drives we look like crap. Look at the actual plays, and the situations. Then look at the drives that fail. It's erratic with no feel.

Watch how Gus uses Nick Marshall. HE KNOWS WHAT HE HAS and calls accordingly. Puts him in a position to succeed. We do the opposite with Tommy. Yes, Tommy is not good as a passing qb. So why do we put him in that position?

I don't know if I bitched at your observation ,which is correct, I just think WE HAVE TO BE ABLE TO EXECUTE AN ORDINARY PASSING GAME IF WE WANT TO BEAT THE BEST TEAMS. And trying to do it when we're 21 points ahead is as good a time as any.

This center/ QB combination is a loser....also, I don't know what the system is for the snap count but it looks like the one we have sucks. Bo seemed to be mystified by what was going on as well, stating that it doesn't happen in practice. It's like both Mark Pelini and Tommy are nervous nellies who have trouble concentrating during the game.

Armstrong still not seeing the open receivers. Kenny Bell was incredibly open on one play, so much so that he was waving with both hands, and Armstrong tried to force a pass elsewhere that ended up (thankfully) incomplete.

This bobbling snaps sh!t has got to stop. Armstrong even dropped one while under center. Pelini needs to tell Armstrong "Listen, only you can fix this. You bobble or drop a snap, you sit the rest of the series and the next one as well, so figure it out. If it's Pelini's fault, he sits, and if I can't tell which one, you both sit."

Armstrong did have some good runs, but Abdullah could have had some decent yardage as well, if he didn't get hurt chasing a dropped snap, so I'm going to say that is a wash.

Kenny was really, really open on that play. However, the QB doesn't sit back there and look at every receiver to see if he's open. If his first read is there as it's drawn up, he takes it and doesn't go to the second one. So I think you see QBs at every level throw to certain receivers when there are other guys open.

I'm not saying Tommy makes great reads or decisions or anything. Don't think he's at a very high level yet. This year he's better than he was last year. But today was not a good showing.

If we want Tommy to make a jump, I really, really think we need to get a QB coach on the staff to work extensively with all of our QBs. A guy that is proficient at making reads doesn't just walk through the door. If we want to have that anytime soon, we'd better devote some attention to it.

Also, as strong a runner as he is, I'd love to see us work Tommy into the running game even more. I think we'll have to.

Kenny was really, really open on that play. However, the QB doesn't sit back there and look at every receiver to see if he's open. If his first read is there as it's drawn up, he takes it and doesn't go to the second one. So I think you see QBs at every level throw to certain receivers when there are other guys open.

I'm not saying Tommy makes great reads or decisions or anything. Don't think he's at a very high level yet. This year he's better than he was last year. But today was not a good showing.

If we want Tommy to make a jump, I really, really think we need to get a QB coach on the staff to work extensively with all of our QBs. A guy that is proficient at making reads doesn't just walk through the door. If we want to have that anytime soon, we'd better devote some attention to it.

Also, as strong a runner as he is, I'd love to see us work Tommy into the running game even more. I think we'll have to.

I agree with you as I honestly think tommy could have had 200 yards rushing if he were to read the option right instead of handing it off every time (I dont know if that is a called read but it's terrible and a bad idea)

• Fire 1

I agree with you as I honestly think tommy could have had 200 yards rushing if he were to read the option right instead of handing it off every time (I dont know if that is a called read but it's terrible and a bad idea)

A lot of times its not an option. It's a designed give. You have to look at how it's blocked. You'll see that we actually dont run the read option much at all. The designed gives (with Tommy running out the read action) actually sets up the read option nicely. Which my point is basically that we dont run the read option enough. That is something, along with the standard running game, is something we should be heavily leaning on. Again, it's that old multiple concept again. We spend and waste too many plays trying to do different things instead of just doing what we do until we have to change.

I believe we are on the same page then...but why not just let the quarterback read it every time and have faith he will read it correctly...I understand you aren't the OC so it may seem ridiculous to have you guess what "he is thinking"...I just think the benefits of him reading it correctly outweigh the negatives (a little cost v. benefit analysis with a QB pull going for big yards while a simple give goes 4 yards, if done correctly)...overall, I just don't understand why the coach needs to specifically call a designed give...if our QB can't read the option that is a problem that needs to be fixed (it's actually unexplainable)