Bo and Beck

I am I

The one thing that I will never be able to understand is why we keep hearing over and over that "it's my fault I put to much on them" or "I changed and over thought them to much trying to take what they give us Blah Blah Blah". That is the thing that just kills me to hear after a dismal performance. Really for crying out loud you are an OC for a name brand D1 football team. I can see putting a few wrinkles in just in case they show us this or do what we all know their D will try to do and that is shut down Ameer and Tommy in the run game. But you don't start with that and you sure as hell don't rely on it all game. You use what got us to 8-1 you run Our offense and make them shut us down and when or if they do then you show them some wrinkles to think about. I just don't get changing what we are good at for this team or that team it just doesn't make sense.

I guess he could throw Tommy under the bus, or blame Imani or the WRs. Or he could shoulder the blame - because he's a grown-ass man (gundy ref.) and get back to work. What else would you expect him to say. If it's got to be answered it's either take the blame, or place blame. I think they know they can't keep saying "we just didn't execute".

Honestly i think one HUGE thing could change the offense around fairly easily. Hire an OC that is a QB coach too. At the very least hire a QB coach if Bo insists on keeping Beck. I really think it could be that simple.

Or maybe just get better quarterbacks?

Just a thought...

College kids are not plug and play. To constantly harp on people like Armstrong, Taylor and Lee and ignore that there are people making six figures who are charged with aiding their development is foolish.

This was one of the faults that led to Callahan's fall

I am saying he needs to stick to what we do good not what he thinks the defense will give us, because he doesn't know for sure what they will give us. Putting in some wrinkles in case of this or that is fine only if you cant run your offense as in they shut you down. I don't have a problem with him taking the blame because he should, I do have a problem with the fact that he keeps apologizing for the same stupid sh#t over and over again.

That's an entirely different subject. And, I was not saying he shouldn't take blame for his deficiencies, but doing and saying the same thing over and over again is insane, especially when it doesn't work!!

agree w/ this. but the issue is far greater than what beck is communicating in a press conf. The over-and-over again is what this program is trying to do with this staff.

With regards to Newby running outside and Cross running inside, has anyone thought that maybe their rate of success has to do with the way they are handed the ball? Meaning that it works really well for Abdullah for him to get the ball while standing beside Armstrong in the pistol/shotgun position. He gets the ball literally handed to him and then he looks for the hole to run through.

With Cross, maybe he would be better running to the outside if he was able to get a running start at the hole with Tommy under center, taking the snap, and leading him. you know, like the way it used to be done?

Just a thought.

• Fire 1

That's an entirely different subject. And, I was not saying he shouldn't take blame for his deficiencies, but doing and saying the same thing over and over again is insane, especially when it doesn't work!!

agree w/ this. but the issue is far greater than what beck is communicating in a press conf. The over-and-over again is what this program is trying to do with this staff.

"The definition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results"

Beck is not crazy, but he won't stop trying to make a QB what he isn't. That combined with going back and making the offense game plan overly complex against a poor Purdue offense. Hopefully in 2 weeks we will see a much more efficient offense. An offense on the same page doing what they do best. I'm not holding my breath on this. It's like he has an addiction , but the addiction is over analyzing the opponent's defense and trying to force his strategy upon our offense. A recipe for disaster in many cases.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Beck's style of offense. Although I'd be more than willing to overlook that if it was as efficient as some of the offenses we're trying emulate.

I think a more traditional, ball control, power running game would suit us more than an up-tempo, no-huddle, hodgepodge of various offensive philosophies. Especially with the way our defense and special teams is playing.

Your not going to change offensive philosophies in the middle of the season. I thinks Becks big problem is exactly what he says.

Honestly, I don't there will be a change in philosophy even after the season, unless there's a change at HC. I would love to go back to a more traditional power running offense, but I realize it's likely a pipe dream.

I think Beck's problem is his running game is to simplistic/unimaginative. As we saw during the MacNeese and Mich. St. games, once our couple run plays are shut down, he doesn't have any other run plays to go to. No counters/misdirction, traps, sweeps, ect.

Oregon and Auburn has the most simplistic run games in the nation. What do you think of their run game?

To really make the spread zone read offense hum you need an elite QB. TA is getting better, but I don't know if he will ever be what you or I want him to be. Oregon looks great because of Marcus Mariotta, Auburn looks great because of Nick Marshall. The run game isn't too simple the pass game is too complex. Oregon and Auburn usually have about 2 reads on their pass game, they make a decision and throw the ball. Nebraska has at least 4 reads on every play.

"The definition of insanity is repeating the same mistakes over and over again and expecting different results"

Beck is not crazy, but he won't stop trying to make a QB what he isn't. That combined with going back and making the offense game plan overly complex against a poor Purdue offense. Hopefully in 2 weeks we will see a much more efficient offense. An offense on the same page doing what they do best. I'm not holding my breath on this. It's like he has an addiction , but the addiction is over analyzing the opponent's defense and trying to force his strategy upon our offense. A recipe for disaster in many cases.

The university has been repeating the same mistakes over and over again with extending Bo's contract only to see the exact same results. As for Beck - we won by a wide margin. I'm going to go with Beck implementing a game plan that set us up for the Wisconsin win. He didn't overlook Purdue, but he used it has a glorified live scrimmage - which Nebraska should be able to do with a lesser opponent like Purdue. He'll likely build on that exact game plan rather than having to go back to square 1. It was set up more for Wisconsin in mind. Now he's tested the implementation and can tweak over the next 2 weeks. (this is me being hopeful)

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Beck's style of offense. Although I'd be more than willing to overlook that if it was as efficient as some of the offenses we're trying emulate.

I think a more traditional, ball control, power running game would suit us more than an up-tempo, no-huddle, hodgepodge of various offensive philosophies. Especially with the way our defense and special teams is playing.

Your not going to change offensive philosophies in the middle of the season. I thinks Becks big problem is exactly what he says.

Honestly, I don't there will be a change in philosophy even after the season, unless there's a change at HC. I would love to go back to a more traditional power running offense, but I realize it's likely a pipe dream.

I think Beck's problem is his running game is to simplistic/unimaginative. As we saw during the MacNeese and Mich. St. games, once our couple run plays are shut down, he doesn't have any other run plays to go to. No counters/misdirction, traps, sweeps, ect.

Oregon and Auburn has the most simplistic run games in the nation. What do you think of their run
Not sure I agree.

There was some things we did earlier in the season that really had my hopes up, some of those things have nearly vanished. We were doing some Auburn-esque type of things with our run game. Why couldn't we have just started there and built off something like that? It was working. It wasn't predictable, it was multiple and effective yet simple and straightforward. You start somewhere and you build on it as you begin to execute better and better.

This is where that whole identity infatuation came from that 50% percent of the fan base wanted us to establish, and the other 50% didn't care about an identity. Well the identity is the base, it's what you do and it's what you do well. And with that base, just like building a home, you don't start putting up walls wiring and plumbing until you've got footings or a foundation.

Where did this offense start? Week to week it looks like a new offense out there on half the plays. We are bone dry on depth and experience at WR yet I saw us go five wide this last weekend.

How about recruiting. Here we are talking about Cross and Newby as if either one is terrible. They are both damn good backs. They are just totally different. How does Cross even end up coming to Nebraska? How do we recruit offensive linemen? Okay, we need you to run block and pass block equally well man on man and zone scheme depending on the look we get from the defense week to week play to play....on and on. How does anybody come here knowing what to expect?

I'm with Husker Freak on this whole over coaching thing. It just blows your mind a college team, with student athletes whom here coaches will tell you have so much on their plates, and these coaches may not realize but they are piling on the biggest helping. The game plan does not need to completely change week to week. Watch every other top team in the country. Alabama, Auburn, they don't change. Who do we think we are here and what the hell is the goal? We had players who literally said before the season that they want "power football" to be our identity. We are the furthest thing from that. We line up in pistol/shotgun on the goal line for cripes sake.

It's late in the year to be starting somewhere and building on it, but hell here we are week 9 and we can't snap the ball. We can't pick up a yard on four downs from the one. What the hell?

Do we start changing our approach now? We should have done so when these coaches said they were changing it, back in the spring. They lied. What now, we head into next season with the same doubts? Or is this all overblown? We change nothing, we scored 35 points and we are a highly rated offense, no changes needed. What of we lose to Wisconsin, Minnesota, and/or Iowa? We will still be pretty highly rated even after those games I'm sure.

• Fire 1

True, I don't think we can say Cross and Newby are both damn good backs. Newby is untested and Cross is a "big back" who has had some decent backup production but doesn't show great lateral ability.

Ron Brown is a great coach, but somewhere between him, Bo, and Beck, they need to get on the same page as far as personnel usage in games. This isn't rocket science. It's too much insistence of "every guy can do every job" getting in the way. Cross is certainly not the first big back here that they've made an active effort to avoid pigeonhole-ing.

Watch what the New England Patriots do with "pass back" Shane Vereen and their inside runners, Ridley and now Jonas Gray. Some games and some drives are just catered to one or the other. Telegraphing a bit of our intent has to be acceptable compared to calling plays that result in neutralizing our own strengths.

If Abdullah misses more time, by the way, we need to see Newby a lot more. I don't see Cross being so effective that he can just step into the role with Newby coming on as a sub. I love Imani, but Newby seems to fit what the offense tries to do a lot more.

The thing is I think when we have the right combination in the game on the oline we can be predictable in the run game and it doesn't matter. And that right combination doesn't have half of the starting oline in the game. Now passing the ball is a little different you have to change it up a bit with our QB and pass pro to make it work IMO.

Oregon and Auburn has the most simplistic run games in the nation. What do you think of their run
Not sure I agree.

You can't play that fast and have it be that complex.