Bo and Beck

I am I

Maybe I'm completely wrong but I think some of these pass plays are just practice to see if we can do it because the coaches know we WILL have to do it against better teams. We could just run on every down against the weak teams, but we'd get killed by the good ones.

Again, it'd be nice to see us spend some of that time practicing unique running plays that don't get much run. For example, the diamond has all but disappeared this season. That's an unused weapon right there.

• Fire 1

Dude, I just don't think being creative in the run game is something we'll see out of Beck CONSISTENTLY. We'll see flashes of it. I harken back to the triple option at the Big House in 2011. That was a DAMN creative play. But we're just going to have to accept that the guy's forte is the passing game and we're probably not going to see a whole lot of innovation from him in the run game at this point. Hopefully, he gets that sweep working next weekend. That's about the best I'll hope for, and anything else is gravy.

Yes!!! I've said this a million times on here (well, maybe 3 times or so), but that play was mind blowing.

I kind of get it, it requires the first RB to be well practiced in pitching and reading during an option play. Maybe Ameer isn't comfortable with it the way that Burkhead was, since Burkhead played QB in HS. But then I wonder why not have TA be the first RB getting the handoff (or fake) while Ryker is QB. I genuinely do not know if that will be beneficial to us or not, but I do WANT to see it more... Haha!

Oh, and here's the play for a recap, I love watching it...

Dude, I just don't think being creative in the run game is something we'll see out of Beck CONSISTENTLY. We'll see flashes of it. I harken back to the triple option at the Big House in 2011. That was a DAMN creative play. But we're just going to have to accept that the guy's forte is the passing game and we're probably not going to see a whole lot of innovation from him in the run game at this point. Hopefully, he gets that sweep working next weekend. That's about the best I'll hope for, and anything else is gravy.

Yes!!! I've said this a million times on here (well, maybe 3 times or so), but that play was mind blowing.

I kind of get it, it requires the first RB to be well practiced in pitching and reading during an option play. Maybe Ameer isn't comfortable with it the way that Burkhead was, since Burkhead played QB in HS. But then I wonder why not have TA be the first RB getting the handoff (or fake) while Ryker is QB. I genuinely do not know if that will be beneficial to us or not, but I do WANT to see it more... Haha!

That play is actually a perfect description of Beck's tenure. "Man what a creative play that worked when they were down by three scores."

• Fire 3

Zoogs, I'd hope that our offense doesn't feature option routes TOO heavily. I see their value in exploiting the defense, but last week, you saw what happens when it blows up in your face-- multiple picks. There's no doubt that trusting a QB and WR to see the same thing on a play is riskier than running a predetermined route.

I don't know what extent of the passing game is based around option routes, but I agree with you on the weaknesses. It seems like you have to be able to protect against the potential for spectacular errors more.

Running predetermined routes isn't necessarily a step down in degree of difficulty, though (depending on the play, of course). Think of the more advanced passing operations for example, where everything depends on precision timing. That's still QB & WR needing to be on the exact same page with even less margin for error; the ball doesn't just "go to a spot" where the WR should be open, but it has to get to the WR at the exact right time.

The QB would also have to understand the entire passing offense thoroughly and diagnose defenses effectively so he knows when the defense is taking something away and if he needs to change his play, and what to change it to. Right now a lot of those decisions are rolled up in the options part of the call, right? And, the QB would need to go through progressions and if he can't have a full field of progressions to work with, that limits how effectively the pass game can be.

Can those of you familiar with the Kansas passing offense under Mangino describe how it works? I think that's what this offense aspires to and I'm sure they will gradually work towards that. But baby steps.

That play is actually a perfect description of Beck's tenure. "Man what a creative play that worked when they were down by three scores."

You have explained Beck's abilities in one sentence. He is his best when the game is out of reach. Why can't he call these type of executable/successful plays at the start of games i.e. MSU 4th quarter........

You have explained Beck's abilities in one sentence. He is his best when the game is out of reach. Why can't he call these type of executable/successful plays at the start of games i.e. MSU 4th quarter........

i think tommy also puts a lot of pressure on himself and plays tight. especially against msu, a team he had a bad performance against the prior year.

The most likely answer is that the other team has pumped the breaks a little bit because they're comfortably ahead. But it does seem to me it's like he finally "cracks the code" in most games, it's just too late when he does.

I still believe this staff is far too obsessed with game tape. They swear by it when prepping and hate to put anything on it for opponents. And if anything differs from the sacred tape, all bets are off. Usually with bad results.

The most likely answer is that the other team has pumped the breaks a little bit because they're comfortably ahead. But it does seem to me it's like he finally "cracks the code" in most games, it's just too late when he does.

I still believe this staff is far too obsessed with game tape. They swear by it when prepping and hate to put anything on it for opponents. And if anything differs from the sacred tape, all bets are off. Usually with bad results.

I agree. We plan to much for what we "see" instead of implementing a solid system that works against all comers. Too many attempts to get the "perfect plan" put together. Then when the other team shows something different or "shuts" down plan A, Beck has no answer. None. Or if he does make a change it is usually too late.

He needs to develop a system and identity and stick with it. Not 12 different schemes and tweaks for each opponent or giving TA 3 different looks per offensive formation.....

Beck does not seem to have that "it" factor when calling games. The type of playcaller like Belichick or TO who more often than not just comes up with the perfect play in the perfect situation that works beautifully. Even when our play calls work, they seem much more methodical. Sometimes it feels like we're grinding out good drives little by little, and sometimes it feels like we're forcing a square peg through a round hole (to be fair, sometimes it goes through anyway).

To be fair, maybe the reliance on game tape is just a reflection of Beck's reaction time. Perhaps he's just much slower to diagnose what the defense is actually doing because he's too focused on what he THINKS they'll do (from tape) and what he wants his offense to do. I think this is why it seems we're so slow adjusting a lot of the time.

Beck is actually damn good at drawing up a solid gameplan from what he sees leading up to games. I think he's still growing into the skill of diagnosing what the D is actually doing in Saturday, if it meshes with what he thought they'd do, and changing on the fly. We don't notice this is solid wins because his original gameplan generally worked well. We hyperfocus and analyze it in close games/losses because it's so obvious.

McDaniels calls plays for the New England offense, I believe, and I think if Beck had a similar approach where the offense morphs significantly week to week and is always looking capitalize on where the defense is vulnerable and what the defense is giving them, it would be sacrilege.

Really I think it comes down to the execution. When things work, you're a genius. When they don't, you're not attacking, or you're doing the square peg/round hole, or you're going away from what works, or you're not making halftime adjustments, or you're too predictable, or you're too complex, or you have no identity, or you're jack of all trades and master of none, and so on.

Although it's hard to argue that for the most part, Nebraska's offense hasn't demonstrated that "it" factor very often this year -- only flashes.

• Fire 3

Its no secret that I pray that Kansas makes Beck an offer he can't refuse. I just don't see Nebraska progressing with him as OC. When we talk replacement

candidates Scott Frost's name is always at the top of the list. I'd like to throw a new hat into the ring. How about Zac Taylor? He's been in coaching since he

graduated. He's been mentored by his Father In Law, Mike Sherman, First as a Grad. Asst. at Texas A&M and now as QB coach for the Miami Dolphins. Bo evidentially

has issues with Frost so why not consider Taylor?

T_O_B

Its no secret that I pray that Kansas makes Beck an offer he can't refuse. I just don't see Nebraska progressing with him as OC. When we talk replacement

candidates Scott Frost's name is always at the top of the list. I'd like to throw a new hat into the ring. How about Zac Taylor? He's been in coaching since he

graduated. He's been mentored by his Father In Law, Mike Sherman, First as a Grad. Asst. at Texas A&M and now as QB coach for the Miami Dolphins. Bo evidentially

T_O_B

All we here from you guys is how Nebraska shouldn't hire coaches for their first time at a position, it's always one of the big complaints about guys like Beck and Bo. But sure. Let's go and hire an unproven Zach Taylor.

And before anyone says it. Yes I know Beck was OC at Missouri State for a year. It's my alma mater.

T_O_B

All we here from you guys is how Nebraska shouldn't hire coaches for their first time at a position, it's always one of the big complaints about guys like Beck and Bo. But sure. Let's go and hire an unproven Zach Taylor.

And before anyone says it. Yes I know Beck was OC at Missouri State for a year. It's my alma mater.

Was that a good year for them? I'm serious.