Snap issues

Its not shotgun. Its pistol. Not the same. And pistol is more effective than under center in terms of time it takes to get the ball carrier the ball. Its why it was invented. Its why its so widely used.

I just wanted to point this out cuz i heard a lot of callers last night regard to why were in shotgun on the goal line and its not shotgun. Irs pistol. They are not the same and pistol is the new under center.

Some snaps were high and a bit hard. Tommy should have been able to handle the one on the goal line for sure. Then they get under center and Tommy fumbles that one? Not sure what happened there.

I say Tommy, Pelini, Reeves, and Garrison and Beck are all sharing a part in this problem.

A center rotation is tough for not only the center to get a relationship and rhythm with his QB, but it's tough for the QB to adjust to a different center rotating in.

The announcers of the game pointed out some issues of being in the shotgun/pistol on the goal line. It was a valid point about the defense all being right there on the centers nose, so as the center is trying to fire off the ball a bit harder and faster, the snap can be affected. It looked like that might be what happened on that fumble which Ameer was injured on.

You would say maybe Nebraska should go under center on the goal line, which would make sense, but this would also worry me a bit since we fumbled one in the game after,going under center. The reason for that is because Nebraska is in the shotgun/pistol 99% of the time and we probably don't practice under center.

I agree Tommy shares equally in the snap problems. I think his issue is similar to a WR who turns to run before actually securing the ball. I think Tommy is looking to where he's going with the ball (handoff or throw) before he actually secures the ball. I've noticed several times he's already looking to the side of the field he's throwing the ball before he actually secures the snap.

• Fire 1

MSU problems were the center. Yesterday it was Tommy and the centers. Baffling.

I am all for making Reeves the starter but he is the guy that was rocketing the snaps over Tommy's head at the goal line.

They did go under center in the 4th quarter.....and immediately fumbled it.

Baffling.

I agree with the earlier post, and Shatel alluded to it also, that this is really between TA's ears. Beck mentioned that perhaps he "over-coached" (wouldn't be the first time), and I'm wondering with TA being a perfectionist (based on his and others comments), if he's just so worried that he's going to miss one of the many reads he's responsible for, that he's forgetting to focus on the little things.

Not trying to say that the center bares no responsibility, but off top of my head, I recall most of the fumbled snaps the last few weeks being close enough to TA that it shouldn't have been THAT big of problem to handle them.

• Fire 2

I agree with the earlier post, and Shatel alluded to it also, that this is really between TA's ears. Beck mentioned that perhaps he "over-coached" (wouldn't be the first time), and I'm wondering with TA being a perfectionist (based on his and others comments), if he's just so worried that he's going to miss one of the many reads he's responsible for, that he's forgetting to focus on the little things.

Not trying to say that the center bares no responsibility, but off top of my head, I recall most of the fumbled snaps the last few weeks being close enough to TA that it shouldn't have been THAT big of problem to handle them.

Last week Tommy was not even looking. Center is a big issue as every center delivers the ball differently. Plus, you asking a player who touches every ball to sit the bench for a series or 2 and come back to be perfect. This without throwing in the temp. This has a lot to do with giving family the step up.

I think that every time we botch a snap, Bo should break his foot off in both of their John Brown hind parts...and then they should run a mile

I'd like to see this too. How many times have we seen Bo call a Def. time out and immediately go out and shred someone for missing an assignment or being out of position? Usually that fixes it, and as a bonus everyone else out there sees it and makes a mental note of "I don't want to be in that situation" , creating a little bit of focus.

On offense? Maybe I've missed it but I have yet to see a "Come to Jesus" meeting for them on the sidelines. Mostly I see them go skulk on the bench with the occasional "my bad" chest pat. If this is a mental issue on Armstrong/Pelini/Reeves part, then someone needs to rip the bubble wrap off and get them off that mental loop if it takes bench time to do it.

The "clap snap" still bugs the hell out of me and I cannot see a game vs. Wiscy in Madison with that rowdy crowd where their defense will not try to screw with us on what has become a issue. While they may not get cheeky by simulating the snap ala MSU, they will probably key off TA's movements. We're gonna have to mix it up a bit to keep them honest.

who wouldn't key off the slap??? I mean its so damn easy to do.the center has no pause in it, he hears the clap and snaps the ball. JR. high kids would even figure that out.

I know if I was an opposing linebacker ready to blitz I'd be all over the timing. Clap, snap, I'm putting you into the turf.

Guys, we are too busy working on being multiple.

For a coaching staff that preaches, preaches, AND PREACHES about the details and "the little things" we are fundamentally weak in some of the most simplistic details of football.