Snap issues

I think it's time to go back under center for these two, they can't seem to get on the same page with the shotgun and the hand clapping isn't helping the situation. It might throw Wisky off for a little bit trying to figure out what we're doing. Our entire offensive playbook can't be based on shotgun only and with Cross probably getting more snaps it only makes sense to run more power football formations. Do more power football, utilize the TE more, and I think we throw Wisky off some. We can always stretch the field laterally with Newby if we need to do that. I just don't want to see us go away from the run and keep up with this shotgun stuff since it seems to be causing a lot of problems.

• Fire 3

I think it's time to go back under center for these two, they can't seem to get on the same page with the shotgun and the hand clapping isn't helping the situation. It might throw Wisky off for a little bit trying to figure out what we're doing. Our entire offensive playbook can't be based on shotgun only and with Cross probably getting more snaps it only makes sense to run more power football formations. Do more power football, utilize the TE more, and I think we throw Wisky off some. We can always stretch the field laterally with Newby if we need to do that. I just don't want to see us go away from the run and keep up with this shotgun stuff since it seems to be causing a lot of problems.

We could install a zone read power game under center with 2 TE's and completely confuse Wisky. We have 2 weeks to do it. 5 miscues on snaps with 3 in shotgun and 2 under center. Unsure who was center. Even if AA is a go and 100%, still use the I formation. An extra blocker and someone else for Wisky to deal with. Same with the TE. Guarantee that if a TE goes across the middle, the first 2-3 times he'll be wide open and score 6-12. After that, Wisky pulls out the box.

I have said all season, it will go with Becks play calling. He calls that crap against our remaining schedule, we drop 3 and get our 4 losses.

• Fire 2

We could install a zone read power game under center with 2 TE's and completely confuse Wisky. We have 2 weeks to do it. 5 miscues on snaps with 3 in shotgun and 2 under center. Unsure who was center. Even if AA is a go and 100%, still use the I formation. An extra blocker and someone else for Wisky to deal with. Same with the TE. Guarantee that if a TE goes across the middle, the first 2-3 times he'll be wide open and score 6-12. After that, Wisky pulls out the box.

I have said all season, it will go with Becks play calling. He calls that crap against our remaining schedule, we drop 3 and get our 4 losses.

Great post, there is no film on this, it's time to do something like this to switch it up. We HAVE to win these games and we need to do what we can to not be predictable. If AA isn't a go it becomes even more important.

They tried that at the end of the game and there was still a snap issue, we fumbled the ball and were lucky to recover.

The only real issue I have with the shotgun is the clapping. Defense's find it way too easy to key in on when the ball will be snapped. If anything, let Tommy clap and let the center decide when to snap it on a silent count. If you do it, it keeps the d-lines in check making it easier for the O-line to get on their blocks.

Good point.

WE don't fix anything. This is high school stuff. Like Bo said, they don't have any problem with it in practice. Maybe they need to tranquilize these guys so the center doesn't snap it like a freaking rocket ( just because it's called the shotgun, you're not supposed to fire it at him like your taking down a pheasant) and Tommy doesn't take off before he catches the ball? It sure sounds like a nervous problem to me. I'm now wondering if Tommy's gonna go MSU on us against Wisconsin....acting jittery and throwing the ball all over the place after two seconds in the pocket?

• Fire 2

WE don't fix anything. This is high school stuff. Like Bo said, they don't have any problem with it in practice. Maybe they need to tranquilize these guys so the center doesn't snap it like a freaking rocket ( just because it's called the shotgun, you're not supposed to fire it at him like your taking down a pheasant) and Tommy doesn't take off before he catches the ball? It sure sounds like a nervous problem to me. I'm now wondering if Tommy's gonna go MSU on us against Wisconsin....acting jittery and throwing the ball all over the place after two seconds in the pocket?

Beck said the same thing. Problem is, everything in practice works as advertised. With the snap, you don't have opposing defenses keying in on the clap, timing the snap, then bull rushing the o-line. If they're going to work on the snap, let the starting d-line come off the snap just as an opponent would. Most likely, Pelini or Reeves snaps the ball then stands up as if they're going to block. I think what's happening is Pelini and Reeves are feeling a little overwhelmed by the nose guard and are haphazardly getting the ball to Tommy so they can get on their block. Practice like you play, play like you practice.

• Fire 2

Some snaps were high and a bit hard. Tommy should have been able to handle the one on the goal line for sure. Then they get under center and Tommy fumbles that one? Not sure what happened there.

I say Tommy, Pelini, Reeves, and Garrison and Beck are all sharing a part in this problem.

A center rotation is tough for not only the center to get a relationship and rhythm with his QB, but it's tough for the QB to adjust to a different center rotating in.

The announcers of the game pointed out some issues of being in the shotgun/pistol on the goal line. It was a valid point about the defense all being right there on the centers nose, so as the center is trying to fire off the ball a bit harder and faster, the snap can be affected. It looked like that might be what happened on that fumble which Ameer was injured on.

You would say maybe Nebraska should go under center on the goal line, which would make sense, but this would also worry me a bit since we fumbled one in the game after,going under center. The reason for that is because Nebraska is in the shotgun/pistol 99% of the time and we probably don't practice under center.