Here's how you know the political landscape in this country is seriously messed up.

Take the case of Congressman Michael Grimm (R-NY). In April of this year, Grimm was captured on camera, with full sound, threatening a reporter.

That same month, he was indicted in district court on 20 counts, including mail, wire, and healthcare fraud, filing false tax returns, perjury, and employing undocumented immigrants.

Grimm was up for reelection this term.

He won. Quite handily, actually.

How is that possible? A couple of reasons. First, the electorate is a ass, with no more common sense than a fruit fly, who will turn a blind eye to literally anything a person does wrong if they want to elect that person. If you don't remember Mayor Marion Barry, go read about his political life. This happens all over. These are just two examples.

Second, Grimm's challenger, who should have had one of the easiest campaigns in history, was an utter flop. The best the Democrats could offer was a wet blanket of a man whose campaign seemed to revolve solely on the concept of "I'm not Michael Grimm." Wellllllll..... whooptie for you, whatever-your-name-is, because that didn't seem to work too well. Remember, Grimm is a Republican and New York is a Blue State (the same state that rewarded Hillary Clinton's carpet-bagging campaign with a Senate seat, remember). So all the Democrats had to do was offer the public something kinda even remotely better than Grimm, and they get in. But... well, the Democrats don't have a whole lot to offer right now. It's a pretty uninspiring party, top to bottom.

So we have an ignorant electorate (on the whole) and an entire political party that can't get out of their own way. We have one party famous for being the do-nothing Congress (looking at you, Nancy Pelosi) and another party that does stuff... but it's a bastardized cross between Big Business ethics and al Qaeda conservatism. What they do, we'd rather they don't.

Who, as a responsible voter, do you choose?

Would you rather have syphilis or gonorrhea?

Probably not the best idea to cast such a wide aspersion by using one gerrymandered congressional district.

Go watch the episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver about local elections and you will see that the size of the net is quite appropriate.
?????

Give me the cliffs notes version, does it specifically cover congressional districts? They're very gerrymandered, and if the candidates are bad there, it's because both parties know it doesn't matter.

You get the leader you deserve, if a district is dumb enough to vote for the letter and not the candidate, I don't have much sympathy with them. And I say that knowing full well the current state of things in my state.

EDIT: and while I've never seen john Oliver's new show, and am a huge daily show fan, this problem isn't going to be fixed by satrical programs like that.

Here's how you know the political landscape in this country is seriously messed up.

Take the case of Congressman Michael Grimm (R-NY). In April of this year, Grimm was captured on camera, with full sound, threatening a reporter.

That same month, he was indicted in district court on 20 counts, including mail, wire, and healthcare fraud, filing false tax returns, perjury, and employing undocumented immigrants.

Grimm was up for reelection this term.

He won. Quite handily, actually.

How is that possible? A couple of reasons. First, the electorate is a ass, with no more common sense than a fruit fly, who will turn a blind eye to literally anything a person does wrong if they want to elect that person. If you don't remember Mayor Marion Barry, go read about his political life. This happens all over. These are just two examples.

Second, Grimm's challenger, who should have had one of the easiest campaigns in history, was an utter flop. The best the Democrats could offer was a wet blanket of a man whose campaign seemed to revolve solely on the concept of "I'm not Michael Grimm." Wellllllll..... whooptie for you, whatever-your-name-is, because that didn't seem to work too well. Remember, Grimm is a Republican and New York is a Blue State (the same state that rewarded Hillary Clinton's carpet-bagging campaign with a Senate seat, remember). So all the Democrats had to do was offer the public something kinda even remotely better than Grimm, and they get in. But... well, the Democrats don't have a whole lot to offer right now. It's a pretty uninspiring party, top to bottom.

So we have an ignorant electorate (on the whole) and an entire political party that can't get out of their own way. We have one party famous for being the do-nothing Congress (looking at you, Nancy Pelosi) and another party that does stuff... but it's a bastardized cross between Big Business ethics and al Qaeda conservatism. What they do, we'd rather they don't.

Who, as a responsible voter, do you choose?

Would you rather have syphilis or gonorrhea?

Probably not the best idea to cast such a wide aspersion by using one gerrymandered congressional district.
Go watch the episode of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver about local elections and you will see that the size of the net is quite appropriate.
?????

Give me the cliffs notes version, does it specifically cover congressional districts? They're very gerrymandered, and if the candidates are bad there, it's because both parties know it doesn't matter.

You get the leader you deserve, if a district is dumb enough to vote for the letter and not the candidate, I don't have much sympathy with them. And I say that knowing full well the current state of things in my state.

EDIT: and while I've never seen john Oliver's new show, and am a huge daily show fan, this problem isn't going to be fixed by satrical programs like that.

Cliffs notes is that there are corrupt and bad people getting re-elected everywhere. He pointed out Florida, Oklahoma, and New Hampshire as some examples. It's a 30 minute show so he couldn't get to them all.

And I agree with you on your other 2 comments.

Man. Sam Brownback held on in Kansas?

How's that experiment working out?!

A disaster. The massive tax cuts were supposed to draw industry and jobs to the state - you know the drill. Of course, they didn't, just as they never do. Consequently, Kansas has a massive deficit and is cutting funding for even the most basic of services - education, prisons, etc. Here's a pretty good article about it:

LINK

• Fire 3

He won . . . so it must be going well?

We will see in 2 years when Kansas is broke - they (Koch brothers, the real power behind the throne) will have to raise taxes on themselves (not going to happen) or fire half of the teachers. I'm re-upping my Nebraska teaching certificate.

We will see in 2 years when Kansas is broke - they (Koch brothers, the real power behind the throne) will have to raise taxes on themselves (not going to happen) or fire half of the teachers. I'm re-upping my Nebraska teaching certificate.

No way . . . tax cuts = prosperity. Everyone knows this.

Just wait a little longer.

Double down on trickle down!

A disaster. The massive tax cuts were supposed to draw industry and jobs to the state - you know the drill. Of course, they didn't, just as they never do. Consequently, Kansas has a massive deficit and is cutting funding for even the most basic of services - education, prisons, etc. Here's a pretty good article about it:

LINK

And so it begins...

Officials: Kansas faces $279M budget gap by July...and it gets worse the year after.

Double down on trickle down!

The only thing trickling down is piss down the collective leg of Kansas as it looks to go the way of a third-world country.

• Fire 2