Path to the Top 4

Amac3309

We win the B1G, I don't think we aren't in the discussion.

I disagree if Oregon, and Notre Dame win out.

May find the Big12 Champ out too.

Can we merge this with my original thread "Playoff picture"?

Oregon seems to shoot themselves in the foot every year and give up their chance. Until they prove differently, I think they do it again at some point.

I think it's more likely for the SEC to get left out than Oregon. If Oregon wins this week, they should and will win out.

Thanks for doing all that work, but the reality is, we finish 11-1, Big Ten Champions, we're getting into the inaugural Playoffs. The people on that committee understand politics, and college football is all about two things today: Money and politics.

An 11-1 Big Ten champion, whether it's us, Ohio State or Michigan State, makes that final group of four. There may be howls of protest from the Washington Post to the Los Angeles Times but it won't matter. Those first two games will almost certainly feature an SEC Champ, a Big Ten champ, the PAC-12 Champ, and whichever fourth team is generating the most buzz at the moment who has an even remotely decent resume.

They want this thing to be successful. Success won't be measured by any other metric than TV sets tuned to games. Period, end of story, good night, see ya later.

That scenario will get the most viewers, the most eyeballs, the most "buzz." Also the most money, which won't hurt one bit

I think there are a minimum of 6 teams and possibly 8-9 teams ahead of us that control their own destiny and even if we win out it won't matter, we aren't jumping 4-5 teams the last week just because of the championship game

Yes but alot of them play eachother and will knock one another down the rankings.

Thanks for doing all that work, but the reality is, we finish 11-1, Big Ten Champions, we're getting into the inaugural Playoffs. The people on that committee understand politics, and college football is all about two things today: Money and politics.

An 11-1 Big Ten champion, whether it's us, Ohio State or Michigan State, makes that final group of four. There may be howls of protest from the Washington Post to the Los Angeles Times but it won't matter. Those first two games will almost certainly feature an SEC Champ, a Big Ten champ, the PAC-12 Champ, and whichever fourth team is generating the most buzz at the moment who has an even remotely decent resume.

They want this thing to be successful. Success won't be measured by any other metric than TV sets tuned to games. Period, end of story, good night, see ya later.

That scenario will get the most viewers, the most eyeballs, the most "buzz." Also the most money, which won't hurt one bit

I think there are a minimum of 6 teams and possibly 8-9 teams ahead of us that control their own destiny and even if we win out it won't matter, we aren't jumping 4-5 teams the last week just because of the championship game

Yes but alot of them play eachother and will knock one another down the rankings.

Based on the rankings now there are 6 "groups" that I think we would need help to jump

Miss St

FL St

Auburn or Alabama

Oregon

TCU or k state or baylor

Mich St

ASU or notre Dame

Mississippi State has to play Alabama and Ole Miss and win the SEC

Florida State has to play at Miami, beat a mystery Florida and win the ACC

Oregon has to play at Utah and host Oregon State and win the PAC 12

TCU has K-State this week and has to play at Texas which could be a trap

K-State has to win at TCU, at WVU, and at Baylor

MSU has to beat tOSU and win the Big Ten

ASU has to beat Arizona and win the PAC 12

Notre Dame has to beat USC and win out

Nebraska HAS to win out and HAS to win the Big Ten

Dude you are on a roll tonight.

The SEC champion will get one spot.

If Auburn wins out, they will get a second spot. If MissSt loses to Alabama and wins the rest, they might be a second SEC team if Alabama is the champion

If Oregon or Arizona State win out, they're in. A two-loss Pac-12 champ would be interesting.

If Florida State wins out, they're in. Not sure how a one-loss Florida State team would compare to other one-loss teams (but there won't be many).

A one-loss Notre Dame team would be in the same boat as a one-loss Florida State team. If Florida State is undefeated, that would help.

If any of the three Big XII teams (Kansas State, TCU, Baylor), they would be in. Kansas State plays both.

A one-loss Michigan State team would have a shot to be ahead of other one-loss teams, especially if Oregon finishes with one-loss. Nebraska or Ohio State would need some help.

The thing is, there is SO MUCH football to be played yet. Basically the "best" that can happen is two undefeated teams and five undefeated teams. Seven teams for four spots. But that's assuming no upsets or split results. We could easily end up with one undefeated team (none wouldn't be really surprising either) and 3-4 one-loss teams.

A one-loss B1G champion will have a very good shot. We have a long ways to go to be that team.

I think as long as MSU wins out and we win our next three plus beating them in the title game we can get in. With Wisconsin being ranked when we play them that will help. Plus the TCU vs KSU, Egg Bowl, Iron Bowl, LSU vs Bama games should all help sort out the congestion at the top.

Edit: I keep forgetting about Notre Dame. USC could go ahead and knock them off so I can officially omit them from the playoff.

Would also be amazing for Miami to beat fla St, would help us a ton

If that could happen in the regular season we would look alot more attractive. If Miami could somehow pull off a conference title win........

If miami could win out and duke and georgia tech drop one.. then florida st. would have to play miami again for the ACC championship!! Seems improbable now but you never know.. they surely couldn't deny us if we win the B1G and have a quality win against the ACC champ.. So if you gonna root for anybody on top of Nebraska this year it's gonna have to be them canes, dagummit!!

• Fire 1