*** The Official Wisconsin Badgers Game Discussion Thread ***

These 3 areas are the x-factors in today's game in my opinion:

1. Nebraska's Offensive Line: Today's game starts in the trenches. If Nebraska's offensive line can find a way to really play up to their talent potential, and if they can get downfield quickly on Wisconsin's linebackers then Nebraska will be set up very well to have a good game. Wisconsin's linebackers are undersized, but they are fast. Nebraska MUST dominate with their zone running game today.
  2. Tommy Armstrong: Tommy doesn't have to win the game for Nebraska today, but he does have to play a smart & safe game. Control the football. Know when throwing the ball out of bounds or checking down is better than taking a sack or forcing an interception. The way Wisconsin likes to load the box I do think the quick passing game will be open for Tommy to make some throws. The big key for Tommy lies in Nebraska's running game. Their will be 3 or 4 wide open opportunities for Tommy to hit the big play on play-action... so he has to take advantage of those opportunities when they come, because their won't be many with the cold weather today.
  3. Special Teams & Field Position : Nebraska has a massive advantage in special teams today both in talent & scheme. Don't underestimate the value of what Bo Pelini has personally done for that unit this year. He will have these guys ready. Pierson-El doesn't have to return a kickoff or punt all the way today in order for Nebraska to be successful, but keep track of Nebraska's average yards on those returns. If we are averaging 25-30 plus per return, Nebraska will win the field position battle and will have a great shot to leave Madison with a victory.

These 3 areas are the x-factors in today's game in my opinion:

1. Nebraska's Offensive Line: Today's game starts in the trenches. If Nebraska's offensive line can find a way to really play up to their talent potential, and if they can get downfield quickly on Wisconsin's linebackers then Nebraska will be set up very well to have a good game. Wisconsin's linebackers are undersized, but they are fast. Nebraska MUST dominate with their zone running game today. ​I hope we really "simplify" and just get hat on hat. IF AA s healthy, a slight window and he's gone. Need to win in the trenches. The game will hinge on this. Would love to see Carter used to get in behind the LB's. Use their pursuit and aggression against them.. Would love to see more designed runs for TA. Let them account for him in the complete running game. Not just on reads.
  2. Tommy Armstrong: Tommy doesn't have to win the game for Nebraska today, but he does have to play a smart & safe game. Control the football. Know when throwing the ball out of bounds or checking down is better than taking a sack or forcing an interception. The way Wisconsin likes to load the box I do think the quick passing game will be open for Tommy to make some throws. The big key for Tommy lies in Nebraska's running game. Their will be 3 or 4 wide open opportunities for Tommy to hit the big play on play-action... so he has to take advantage of those opportunities when they come, because their won't be many with the cold weather today. Agree 100%. TA NEEDS to find a way to get the ball to the guys in the flats on the quick screens. Go vertical with the PA down field and on the seams. IMO, TA's best throws. Would love to see Carter chip the LB and get behind them in the middle. Something Bech hasn't shown. Help TA and AA with 2 back sets. More blocking and the D can't key on AA alone.....
  3. Special Teams & Field Position : Nebraska has a massive advantage in special teams today both in talent & scheme. Don't underestimate the value of what Bo Pelini has personally done for that unit this year. He will have these guys ready. Pierson-El doesn't have to return a kickoff or punt all the way today in order for Nebraska to be successful, but keep track of Nebraska's average yards on those returns. If we are averaging 25-30 plus per return, Nebraska will win the field position battle and will have a great shot to leave Madison with a victory. Our PR and KR could be the difference in this game. I have been down on Bo, BUT the turn around on D and ST when he takes over let's me think (IMO) that he has the goods and abilities as a coach. He just needs a better supporting cast.......

Not gonna lie, I just don't have a good feeling about this one today. Our offense hasn't been clicking lately. And we have struggled in less-than-ideal weather conditions.

The Blackshirts seem to be coming around and our special teams have been pretty good so hopefully they can make some plays and we can win a close one.

Just an observation, but it seems to me that during the Pelini era--our offense and the play-calling has always been "built" around that one great offensive player----be it Ameer, Martinez, Burkhead, etc. and the whole gameplan is designed for that one guy to perform--and when they do--we win, but when we dont----we lose. We seem to get little out of out back-ups (in close game or when we really need them to step-up) and I dont think its a talent issue as much as it is the strategy in having that one go-to guy.

In big games, it;s simple for the D to focus on that one start player and shut them down--and when that happens- we go to sh#t.

Just my take,

Not gonna lie, I just don't have a good feeling about this one today. Our offense hasn't been clicking lately. And we have struggled in less-than-ideal weather conditions.

The Blackshirts seem to be coming around and our special teams have been pretty good so hopefully they can make some plays and we can win a close one.

I will agree with this, I just didn't want to be the first to say it.