I wouldn't fire Bo

Firing a coach winning 9 games year after year is Steve Pederson like. No coach worth a damn would come here. The expectations "the greatest fans in college football" have set anymore are ridiculous.

If you want a new coach then start hoping for 3-9 records.

Why are people still with this mindset? All wins are not created equal. Coaches know this. Getting blown out on national TV a few times a year while beating up on the dregs, is not what is expected at many schools. It will keep you at Illinois and Indiana. It gets you fired at places that expect a conference championship on occasion. Coaches know this, and any you really want, embrace it. They expect to win when it counts.
What do Auburn, Bama, ole miss, miss state and there current coaches have in common?

When you get done figuring that out. You'll see my point. It's not a "mindset" to be a realist. A respectable isn't gonna come here to take over this program after winning 9 games.

You say all wins are not created equal. Then neither are losses.

The problem is most of the fans are still living in 1995. You have all been spoiled by the success of 90s, but yet to seem to forget that this was an average program beating up on patsies for much of the Osborne era.... Only to blow it against OU and the bowl game.

You sir are an idiot I was around then ,been around, we consistenly were a team that vied for the top 10, we played hard smart football, we did not give up , we played the best teams in the country and COMPETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is you and others like you that are the bane of this program,

the difference between now and then...and I was around then...Osborne didnt win the big games...but we weren't completely out everything'd and breathtakingly embarrassed. a lot of times they were scores like 20-10 or 20-17 or a few 31-10's, going for 2 and losing the natl championship or losing the natl championship when we were favored......not setting NCAA records for 408 yards of offense by a single player, or blowout loss after blowout loss on natl tv to anyone with a decent team, struggling with McNeese,SD state, or any preseason...and setting all kinds of bad records...49 unanswered points?, fielding a top 50 offense or defense(pick the year). on and on....our loss to Colorado in 2001 was the first time in my lifetime I could recall something like that...

Osborne was going to be fired after the bluebonnet bowl had he not won it, but that was not for losing big games by 50 or whatever..not the horrendous set of bad records we have set in the past 10 years....

I'm not living in 1995, I would like us to lose respectably if we are going to lose but see progress..

I actually think our program has fallen worse than we think...its kinda like putting the frog in warm water and bringing it to a boil...its been on such a downhill slide that we have lost touch with exactly how bad it is....

this has gotten to the point of doing financial damage to our brand and program let alone ability to compete

SE is a coward, he'll never fire Bo

^^^This. I think Eichorst is a good to very good admin, but he's not going to "own" this issue. He'll wait until the decision gets made for him (i.e. team wins 5 or less OR major boosters demand a change). Can't blame him. Personally, I don't think Eichorst/Perlman have it in them to hire anyone better. Would love to see BP gone at this point but don't see it happening...

If he (SE) is a good admin, he might see a way to make things happen. Don't fire Bo. But get out the checkbook and pay the best OC and DC that money can buy. Tell (tell, don't ask) Bo that these are going to be his staff. If he's not happy, he can resign. He wouldn't stand for that....he leaves....we don't fire him and change happens. Just better have the goods all lined up before making that kind of power play.

SE is the chess piece that directly decides Bo's fate. I really think ( hunch only) that he wanted to fire Bo last year after Iowa. He just didn't have the support behind him to make this a reality though. Maybe a lack of support from the major donors or coach Tom stepping in. Not sure. Wish I knew.

Bo certainly thought he was fired. Eichorst was silent on the matter for so long and the program was exploding with rumors. Still he didn't make an announcement until the 11th hour. You know there we're some meetings behind closed doors on this.

Now we are 8-2. I think we will have to lose the next 2 games ( quite possible in my opinion) for SE to consider replacing him. I remember reading earlier this year that ticket sales are a big priority to him. Endanger that record sell out streak and he will definitely be gone. Just like Hoke will be this year.

It needs to not be Bo's scheme, that's one of the problems. Outside, proven coordinators with free reign given to run things as they feel they need to. If Bo can't do that, then yeah, it's probably time to start shopping. I certainly wouldn't clean house without being pretty sure we could get someone worthwhile, and with good experience, to come coach here.

Eby you are the kind of fan that will hold this program back forever, Look at oklahoma they had a couple of bad coaches but they weren't afraid to make the necessary changes. It is not going to get better unless we do what it takes.

It's amazing that me, a solitary Husker fan, is able to hold this program back forever! First of all, that means I must be immortal, since forever is a long time. Far longer than the average person's lifetime. Next, how important must I be that my opinion matters so much it shapes the very landscape of Husker football coaching. Wait, not only their coaching, but their very future! You've made an extremely intelligent, coherent, and insightful post about my overwhelming and dominating importance to this football program. Thank you.

Since you saw fit to repost your previous, amazingly awesome post, I'll do the same with mine.

If we fire a coach why is everyone assuming we become worse? Worse case is we don't win championships and have to fire our coach again. Really is that simple. At least we would be trying to become great instead of settling for average.

I have trouble with this logic as well. These blowout losses have been happening repeatedly since Bo got here. We play in a weak division of a weak conference. If we were anywhere else––anywhere else––we would likely have pulled the plug on this first-timer HC and his merry band of incompetents. There is no reason to think that this team minus Abdullah and Gregory (who is long gone now if he wasn't already) is going to accomplish something the current team was unable to.

Right now the worse part for me is anticipating the Fluffy Puff Spring season. Staring at graphics like this:

ZhJ2b84.gif

• Fire 3

Something was said last night about consistency of Wisconsin's program- last 3 coaches ran/run the same offense that was implemented by Barry A... seems to me, if we go back to the option- we are recruiting a different type of player then all of these other schools are going for. You can great great linemen again, because they will be allowed to pull off the line and go hit someone. We get a legitimate dual threat qb etc...

I want Bo to succeed, but I do not believe his mentality will allow himself to make the necessary changes to his staff. As for getting a new coach, Nebraska is still a really really good job/place for any coach to come to. Do 5 star recruits go to a major team because their expectations are low? We need to overcome the damage to our brand- and losing week in and week out (perception) when we are nationally televised is killing the brand.

When the brand is dying/dead, that is when the AD will take action. We are probably headed to a medically induced coma at the moment, but there is still time to fix it.

Risk is too high to go into a tail spin like Michigan, Notre Dame (pre Kelly), Tennessee, and Miami. I would get new coordinators. Open the checkbook and get the best.

Nebraska will finish with 10 wins and that's something to be proud of. Nebraska will play in a great January 1st bowl.

Relax, it could be worse, you could be Michigan :/

This is what I'm leaning toward. Need something new, although I still think Bo can do it.

Hello all. I visit various other big college football message boards and I thought I would visit a Husker board to get their opinion on Bo after yesterday and to my surprise this thread was started by another Michigan fan.

In my opinion MichiganMan, Bo has had more than enough time to prove that he is the right man for the job. It's clear that he is not.

You say that ''things could be worse'' but they could also get better couldn't they? Isn't the point of playing college football to win conference/national championships?

I know many Michigan fans will say ''I long for the Lloyd Carr days'' and things like that, but I don't. Why? We weren't a legit elite team under Carr besides 1997, 1999 (didn't even win Big Ten), 2003, 2004, and 2006. That's five seasons out of 13. How many players did we put in the NFL under Carr? How many years were we in the national title hunt besides 1997 and 2006? We would blow a non conference game every year early (sometimes even at home) and lost 6 straight road openers. He lost bowl games to Fulmer, Brown, Carroll and even Bill freakin Callahan! Oregon and Mike Belotti beat made them look totally unprepared twice in 2003 and 2007. As soon as OSU fired their bumbling idiot of a coach Cooper Jim Tressel came in and dominated Carr head to head, national championship game appearances and Big Ten titles.

It is true that things could be worse for Nebraska as they have been for Michigan, but with both schools resources why should 9 and 10 wins be their ceiling?

Risk is too high to go into a tail spin like Michigan, Notre Dame (pre Kelly), Tennessee, and Miami. I would get new coordinators. Open the checkbook and get the best.

Nebraska will finish with 10 wins and that's something to be proud of. Nebraska will play in a great January 1st bowl.

Relax, it could be worse, you could be Michigan :/

please explain to me how Nebraska will play in a January 1 bowl game when those are reserved for top 12 team

Nebraska is going to the Outback or Citrus.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/college-football-bowl-schedule.php

my bad I thought that was the day for the big bowl games you were right