Bo will be here next year...

Judoka

I would have lit into Corey Cooper as well, and for a long time, whether I was winning by 40 or not. That attempt to shoulder tackle Gordon in inexcusable of a senior starter and leader of the defense.

That's an instance where you DO light up a kid on the sidelines as a coach.

Let me make my claim for David Shaw for a second....

His coaching career began at Western Washington University in 1995. In 1997, Shaw began a nine-year run as an NFL assistant coach with stints for the Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders, and Baltimore Ravens.

As the Raiders' quality control from 1998–2000 and quarterbacks coach in 2001, the team won two consecutive AFC West titles and completed a 10–6 regular season.[1]

Shaw was the quarterbacks coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002–2004 and wide receivers coach for the Ravens from 2002–2005, with the 2003 team finishing with a 10–6 regular season mark and winning the AFC North.

I think they are referring to Daniel Davie when he got pushed half way across the field and also took Gerry out on that play by getting absolutely manhandled. Any coach would of lit into that kind of play and effort.

Naw, it was Cooper when Gordon leapt over him going down the sideline. There were so many of them, it's hard to remember which time it happened.

Damn shame, LOLZ

Remember the last time we fired a 9-win coach? We got Bill Callahan and his really competent Defensive Coordinator!

When Soiich was in trouble, he fired Craig Bohl the DC then. That was a good move if disregard Bohl's subsequent sucesses as a coach.

Bo was supposed to be defensive guru and he did a good job as the DC. Since Papukis has been the DC, we have had troubles against good teams.IMO, the Blackshirts have died. They are no more. I think Bo had something to do with it when held off awarding the shirts. It used to be the first string got the blackshirts and they had to fight to keep them. Bo has changed the schemes in the Big 12 and apparently again in the BIg 10. I think its okay. The players seem to me to lack basic techniques and that is weak coaching. You don't tackle like you are blocking someone. You have to take their legs out by wrapping them up and then eliminating the YAC. I suspect that we don't have enough full speed live contact drills since many of our defenders don't take the right angles, wrap up legs, play off blocks, turn the play back inside well, cover the back side, penetrate to brerak up the play, etc.

I wonder if we are playing a sound defense scheme but tweaking the defenders' play so much that they don't recognize their defense anymore? Are we matching athlete against athlete or are we outhinking what we do? I think Bo hired his friends for assistants and they lacked the experience to do the job. Now, six years later, they are still learning. Bo has grown in the job IMO. Grown enough is the question and how long do we wait?

I think Bo is a good coach but needs to reassess the way he has the coaches organized and maybe replace some coordinators.

I think Tim Beck has done a good job overall. His playcalling gets perplexing several times during a game. I think he needs to go back to a running game with some passing. The biggest problem in mind is the offensive line that is not competent. We must recruit better and do more individual technique coaching with more full speed contact drills for experience. I think the weak offensive line has been our major problem since the late 90's. IMO, that was time that we started to have domination problems during games with good teams.

I have read many complaints in this forum about passing too much. I disagree strongly with that position. I remember several decades not of power run and option football that drew defenses overmanning the box and daring us to pass. We often failed to win because we did not have a credible passing attack. Part of the problem, when you are identified as run team, passing quaterbacks and receivers dreaming of a pro career to go passing teams. When our run game is stalling, we need to have a credible effective short and medium pass game to force the defenses to back off- then go back to the run. Long ball passing is a low percentage game that Tim Beck seems to like. He or our Qbacks seem to like short passes in the flats for little gains- wasted plays IMO. The 7-point area is found in the north-south direction- not the east-west direction.

We need better (agile, smart, strong and faster) linemen, more technique coaching and some new experienced assistants.

Question: I heard an Omaha radio show where it was said that the former players are against Scott Frost coming back? Anyone know why? Was he not popular with his team mates as a QB?

Remember the last time we fired a 9-win coach? We got Bill Callahan and his really competent Defensive Coordinator!

When Soiich was in trouble, he fired Craig Bohl the DC then. That was a good move if disregard Bohl's subsequent sucesses as a coach.

Bo was supposed to be defensive guru and he did a good job as the DC. Since Papukis has been the DC, we have had troubles against good teams.IMO, the Blackshirts have died. They are no more. I think Bo had something to do with it when held off awarding the shirts. It used to be the first string got the blackshirts and they had to fight to keep them. Bo has changed the schemes in the Big 12 and apparently again in the BIg 10. I think its okay. The players seem to me to lack basic techniques and that is weak coaching. You don't tackle like you are blocking someone. You have to take their legs out by wrapping them up and then eliminating the YAC. I suspect that we don't have enough full speed live contact drills since many of our defenders don't take the right angles, wrap up legs, play off blocks, turn the play back inside well, cover the back side, penetrate to brerak up the play, etc.

I wonder if we are playing a sound defense scheme but tweaking the defenders' play so much that they don't recognize their defense anymore? Are we matching athlete against athlete or are we outhinking what we do? I think Bo hired his friends for assistants and they lacked the experience to do the job. Now, six years later, they are still learning. Bo has grown in the job IMO. Grown enough is the question and how long do we wait?

I think Bo is a good coach but needs to reassess the way he has the coaches organized and maybe replace some coordinators.

I think Tim Beck has done a good job overall. His playcalling gets perplexing several times during a game. I think he needs to go back to a running game with some passing. The biggest problem in mind is the offensive line that is not competent. We must recruit better and do more individual technique coaching with more full speed contact drills for experience. I think the weak offensive line has been our major problem since the late 90's. IMO, that was time that we started to have domination problems during games with good teams.

I have read many complaints in this forum about passing too much. I disagree strongly with that position. I remember several decades not of power run and option football that drew defenses overmanning the box and daring us to pass. We often failed to win because we did not have a credible passing attack. Part of the problem, when you are identified as run team, passing quaterbacks and receivers dreaming of a pro career to go passing teams. When our run game is stalling, we need to have a credible effective short and medium pass game to force the defenses to back off- then go back to the run. Long ball passing is a low percentage game that Tim Beck seems to like. He or our Qbacks seem to like short passes in the flats for little gains- wasted plays IMO. The 7-point area is found in the north-south direction- not the east-west direction.

We need better (agile, smart, strong and faster) linemen, more technique coaching and some new experienced assistants.

Question: I heard an Omaha radio show where it was said that the former players are against Scott Frost coming back? Anyone know why? Was he not popular with his team mates as a QB?

To answer the last thing, no Frost was not widely liked, but there are other, more important reasons why Frost shouldn't be given the keys.

• Fire 1

I would have lit into Corey Cooper as well, and for a long time, whether I was winning by 40 or not. That attempt to shoulder tackle Gordon in inexcusable of a senior starter and leader of the defense.

His coaching career began at Western Washington University in 1995. In 1997, Shaw began a nine-year run as an NFL assistant coach with stints for the Philadelphia Eagles, Oakland Raiders, and Baltimore Ravens.

As the Raiders' quality control from 1998–2000 and quarterbacks coach in 2001, the team won two consecutive AFC West titles and completed a 10–6 regular season.[1]

Shaw was the quarterbacks coach for the Baltimore Ravens from 2002–2004 and wide receivers coach for the Ravens from 2002–2005, with the 2003 team finishing with a 10–6 regular season mark and winning the AFC North.

Look, I'm not arguing with you about good coaches that do or don't yell at players. Personally, I don't care what the coaches sideline demeanor is as long as it doesn't affect the team.

Look at Bo's coaching career and it is virtually the same thing as Shaw.

But Shaw is 5-5 right now and he is in one of the best recruiting states in the country. So what are we trying to compare?

To answer the last thing, no Frost was not widely liked, but there are other, more important reasons why Frost shouldn't be given the keys.

Let's hear.

Look, I'm not arguing with you about good coaches that do or don't yell at players. Personally, I don't care what the coaches sideline demeanor is as long as it doesn't affect the team.

But Shaw is 5-5 right now and he is in one of the best recruiting states in the country. So what are we trying to compare?

He's also recruiting to Stanford. Entrance requirements between Stanford and UNL are slightly different.

Who cares about that? Can the dude coach? Hmm...

In his first season as Oregon's offensive coordinator, Frost's offense set a school record for total offense in a season at 7,345, besting the old mark of 7,319 in 2011, which happened during a 14-game season.[4] Oregon finished the season with an 11-2 record and top-ten ranking after beating Texas 30-7 in the 2013 Alamo Bowl.

Through 10 games, they have 5,312 yards, averaging 531.2 yards of total offense a game. Only two years into the job, I think the guy can coach.

EDIT: I think he'd be an excellent Coordinator. Not HC material quite yet. Few more years under the belt, yep. He would, however, blow the doors off Beck.

Still saying Shaw is my guy.

To be clear I'm not complaining about Bo yelling at a player...it's the timing and the message it sends....

Bo. Send one of your coordinators to do that. You have to be the cool confident leader on the road in a very hostile environment with your team quickly getting overwhelmed. You rally the troops. Sends Paps over to correct that problem. And he was mad about the collision not the shoulder tackle.

I believe at the end of the season Bo will be given the Corbulo choice.

Either ... (A) Axed by the University or (B) Fall on his own sword

Bo knows! & deserves time to update his resume and start shopping for a high profile defensive coordinator position.

Knowing our luck we will see him again down the road. (if he doesn't go back to the NFL)

And if we do he will have his ferocious D ready to roll and unleash holy hell !!

IMO Bo is a good guy...just not the right guy. - Axios!!

• Fire 1

He's also recruiting to Stanford. Entrance requirements between Stanford and UNL are slightly different.

SO what's the excuse vs Harbaugh?

With all due respect - fraid not, my friend. Let me take your first point on comparisons between records:

Shaw's coaching record

2011:

He beat the following teams (only ranked):

#22 Washington

#20 USC

#22 Notre Dame

He lost by 3 to #3 Okie State, and got smashed by #6 Oregon.

2012:

#2 USC

#13 Oregon State

#1 Oregon

#15 UCLA

He lost to unranked Washington and to the #7 Domers.

2013:

#23 ASU

#15 Washington

#2 Oregon

#25 Arizona State (Pac 12 Champs)

He lost to unranked Utah, unranked USC, and #4 Sparty in the Rose Bowl.

How many times has Bo beaten a top 10 team? From my count, twice (could be wrong). Heck, how many times has he beaten a top 25 team, LOLZ?

Second point - Shaw's 5-5 record right now.

Again, he's 9 points from being 8-2 right now, with one being a double OT loss. All three of those games were against ranked opponents. One blowout loss against Oregon (revenge game), and a 16 point loss against #17 ASU. All the other losses were by 3 to ranked top 25 teams...a far cry from giving up tons of yards against Bucky (two years in a row),

Virtually the same outside of back to back Rose bowls, one win and finishing years in the top ten.

I mean, c'mon.

• Fire 1